*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746261-Isolation-Healed-by-Rain
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1746261
A girl stretches beyond lifes barriers.
Staring out the third floor, distorted classroom window, I peer out into the horizon. Rain lightly falls from the sky, hard enough to hear each droplet slam against the glass. The sky is gray, toned with the sun's warm, yellow outline. The grass, green and uncut, appears livelier than ever, yet still dull and lifeless. Birds flap their wings, soaring, searching for shelter to cover themeselves from the chilled falling water. The rain begins to fall harder. Cars drive by the building, headlights shining bright, and windshield wipers gently swaying the rain away. If only I had my hands behind the wheel to escape this repetitive, imprisioned life. I would take the wheel, grip it as if I had the world itself in my hands. I'd press the gas with my foot and drive somewhere...anywhere.

The teacher continues to lecture. His words are transperant for my attention is completely on the rain. As the rain seemingly increases, a man appears, from below, along the sidewalk, with his back towards me. I stare at him for he seems completely oblivious of the falling drops. His shoulders are broad yet slouched. He walks with a cane yet he doesn't seem to apply any pressure on it. His hair appears to be light brown, or even dark brown with gray toning it lighter. With the growing distance, it was hard to be sure.

I continued to watch the man. Something about him drew me in.

To my surprise, the man did an astonishing thing. He stopped walking. His feet planted their roots on the sidewalk. I leaned in, and watched him curiously. He then slowly began rotating his body in a frightning, zombie infected sort of way, until he was faced in my direction. I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better look and that's when I realized he was staring directly at me. The distance between us made it seem as though his eyes were coated black. His face was strain, straight and showed no emotion. His eyes pierced into mine. I could feel my abs tightening, my breaths suddenly seemed short and I felt a burst of Nausea infecting my stomache. 'How could he even see me?' I wondered. His eyes continued to stare me down, looking emotionless and statue-like.

To my relief, he removed his glare and slowly looked up towards the sky. The rain fell atop his face. He stood there, alone on the sidewalk, his arms glued to his side, looking at the sky.' What was he doing?' I thought to myself

He examined the sky as if he was looking at the most beautiful thing in the world, for his mouth was dropped open. The man released his grip from the cane, and it slowly fell to the ground. His hands detatched from his side and they rose to form a "V" shape above his head. He closed his eyes and smiled, allowing the rain to soak his brittle body.

Despite his emotionless charisma, he appeared to be happy, as though it was the first feeling of happiness he's felt in a long time. His arms point to the sky, the rain washes his body, and his smile looks free.

His attention goes back to me, his smile fades and his eyes lock on to mine. While dropping his arms back to his side, his eyes burned into my skull, but before it became overly frightning and uncomfortable, he smiled. He motioned up to the sky, as if trying to tell me something. The rain continued to fall harder and harder. The man lifted his arms to waist level and once again motioned to the sky, smile upon his face.

"Jamie." The teacher said, adressing me. "Would you care to join us, or would you rather be out there in that storm?"

The entire class started laughing as they looked in my direction.

I looked back out the window, and the man was gone. Thunder shook the ground below my feet, and I stood up and said, "Yes, I actually would rather be out there."

The teacher seemed surprised by my response, "Excuse me?" he asked in an authoritative type of way.

"Sometimes you just have to go beyond the barriers and stand in the rain. Or walk without a cane."
© Copyright 2011 Cynthia Riebesell (cynthiakalyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746261-Isolation-Healed-by-Rain