*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748221-Lesson4
Rated: E · Assignment · Educational · #1748221
This is the 4th lesson for my grammar class.
1.) Go to http://www.englishpage.com/irregularverbs/irregularverbs.html and make a copy of the irregular verbs that they give you. After you have completed that task, tell me where you will keep this information so that you can use it in the future. Next, look over the forms of ring, sing, give, and swim. Now put have in front of these third column forms. How do they sound to you? In my area of the US, these forms sound totally foreign to my students because they have heard them incorrectly all their lives.


I have a copy save on my computer, and I printed out one to put in my grammar book. I knew the correct forms of the verbs, but if you were to here them come out of my Mississippi mouth, you would laugh your head off.


2.Write five sentences with a variety of linking verbs. Then, rewrite them proving to me that they are indeed verbs of being.

Josette is my dog.    My dog is Josette.
Gizmo was scratching the rug.  The rug was scratched by Gizmo.
The Wenchester brothers on Supernatural are handsome. The handsome Wenchester brothers are on Supernatural.
My dad is a nice guy. The nice guy is my dad.
Gizmo was pouncing on the couch. The couch was pounced on by Gizmo.

3. Write five sentences with a variety of action verbs. Then, rewrite them proving that they are indeed action verbs,

A tree limb fell on the car. My car fell on the tree limb.
Josette barked at the big dogs. The big dogs barked at Josette.
Gizmo hissed at the strange cats. The strange cats hissed at Gizmo.
I kissed my boyfriend. My boyfriend kissed me.
I love Josette. Josette loves me.

4. Go to the Why Do I Need to Know This Information as a Writer. Look at the examples. Then, write five sentences with boring, run-of-the-mill verbs and two rewrites for each using more graphic, stronger verbs.

I walked to town.
I strolled to town.
I marched to town.

He talked to me.
He whispered to me.
He screamed at me.

I ate the hamburger.
I savored the hamburger.
I devoured the hamburger.

I went to the mall.
I ran to the mall.
I drove to the mall.

I felt the material.
I rubbed the material.
I stroked the material.



5. Rewrite my Passive Voice example sentences 2-6 as Active Voice sentences.

The school board discussed the need for a stricter dress code.
My parents gave me the trip to Greece.
All Thayer English classes will use this text.
Susan lost in the presidential election.
Next August, the Mrs. America title will be presented to Matilda.

© Copyright 2011 very thankful (sisterofmercy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748221-Lesson4