*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749684-The-Best-Aunt-Ever
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1749684
A few words about the love of my Aunt Gladys. The best ever.
My dear, sweet Aunt Gladys was the best aunt ever. Aunt Gladys was the most treasured aunt. I believe that if everyone had an aunt like my Aunt Gladys, the world would be a better place. I try to be an aunt to my nieces and nephews like she was to me, but those are big shoes to fill, and I probably haven’t lived up to the standard she set. 

Each of my aunts and uncles is precious to me and each have children to care for them. Each aunt has a daughter that lives close to her to care for her. We all love our own mothers, but Aunt Gladys touched us each in a way that left deep and life affirming impressions on our souls. Time spent with her was priceless and always a pleasure.

She was filled with life affirming words. She’d often greet us with, “Hello! I’m been waiting for you to come.” When we’d leave, she’s say, “Call me when you get home and come again soon!” She always wanted us to be safe and careful.

You never went hungry or thirsty when you stepped through the threshold into Aunt Gladys’ home. No longer than 10 minutes in her home, and she’s smile her little elfin smile, saying, “Come to the kitchen and have some cookies with me.” It was never just a cookie.

I enjoyed buying her dinner because she had made so many meals for me. But she preferred to do the cooking as it was an expression of her love. Usually not anything fancy, but always with a warm heart and comforting conversation. 

She always made time for you. If it was just sitting in her warm and cozy living room chatting, putting a puzzle together on a simple card table, playing with her dog or birds on the three-season porch, or snacking at the dining room table, she made you feel appreciated for just being with her. Her home was filled with warm colors. Her living room was beige and highlighted by a thick and warm dark green carpet and inherited family furniture that she kept up by replacing upholstery if needed.

She made me feel loved in such a way that I felt the presence of God in her. I knew I was in the presence of one who knew faith, had suffered great losses and pain, but survived with Christ in her heart and joy in her spirit.

Here is a Scottish Blessing that I find most comforting, and my Aunt Gladys lived it…

Life is short.
We do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who walk the way with us.
So, be swift to love.  Make haste to be kind.
And may the blessings of God, Creator, Redeemer, and the Holy Spirit
be with you this day and ever more.
Amen!

It is our loss on earth and heaven’s gain. The Lord weeps with us as we learn to live without her physical presence.
© Copyright 2011 Bourner (bourner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749684-The-Best-Aunt-Ever