*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750224-Terror-in-the-Hills-Part-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1750224
A story about two boys overcoming fear
The dusty mine made Gerald hack and cough. The sparks jumped off the walls as the tip of the pick smashed into the red-grey stone. A short blast from the air horn signalled that the work day was over; Gerald straightened up and turned around. The rest of the workers were standing just outside the entrance to the mine, they pushed a mine cart into the tunnel and it rolled to Gerald. He looked inside; it was half full of fruit and salted meat.
"Why there’s enough food here for a Christmas feast, what's it for?” He asked them.
"Let's just say everyone deserves a last meal.” One of the others replied.
"What do you mean?"
"Your dang father is shutting down the mine, and since there's nothing we can to him, we thought we should get our revenge on you!' With that, he lit the end of a short fuse, they turned and hurried away. It only took a few seconds, and then, the fuse hit its end. The explosion shook the supports in the mine; they started to crack and splinter. The roof of the mine tumbled downward. You could have been right outside the mine, and you never would have heard him. Between the noise of the falling rocks, the resonating boom of the dynamite, and the rock blocking the way, his screams were lost.

[112 YEARS LATER]

I bolted awake to the blaring sound of country music; I slammed my hand down on the sleep button and rolled out of bed. My head felt like I had been kicked in the head with a hammer, which might actually have happened. Beer and horses rarely made a good combination. I slipped on a pair of overalls and a black t-shirt, Git-R-Done, was scrawled across the front. I pulled my hat off a shelf and slipped it onto my head. I walked downstairs and threw a stick of wood into the smouldering fire. I yawned and opened the cupboard. I got a bowl of cereal and a mug of coffee and sat at the table. It wasn't too long before Spencer stumbled into the room.
"Hey bud." I said as he walked by.
"Hey Owen." He replied. I watched him wander over to the fridge, open it, and take a long drink of milk, straight from the carton. He put it back and let out a loud belch
"Dude what happened last night?" He asked
"Well, we got drunk, then went horseback riding, can't remember after that." I stood up "I’m goin' ta' feed the animals." I walked out the door; the smell of horse hit my nose immediately. I walked into the barn and started tossing food to the various animals. After I finished, I wandered outside. I listened, I heard the chickens clucking, the cows mooing, the horses neighing, and the dogs barking, but behind all that, I heard a low shuffling, almost, knocking sound. I listened more carefully, it was almost, moaning, then I heard it, a low, raspy, but distinct "Help". I immediately felt terrified
"Spencer, get out here!” I screamed. He rushed outside, shaving cream covering half his face, a towel wrapped around his waist.
"What? What's wrong?'" He asked.
"Listen." I fell silent, and he did too. The voice persisted again
"Help me......... help!" It said. I looked at him with terrified eyes.
"What is it?" I questioned
"Uh, I don’t know, someone that got lost in the woods probably."
"Yeah, you’re probably right, come on; let’s see if we can go find him."

[END OF PART 1]
© Copyright 2011 Owen Foreman (cadetforeman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750224-Terror-in-the-Hills-Part-1