*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751229-A--Physicians--prayer
Rated: E · Article · Medical · #1751229
The hippocratic oath is sacred to me.Can I offer a little prayer befor I trea my patients?

                                                                  A  PHYSICIAN'S  PRAYER   


Glancing  at  the  surroundings  of  my  home,  I dedicated  myself  to sweeping  off  dust  from  a  heap  of  medical  journals &  magazines lying  in the  corner of  my bedroom…….But  as old habits  die  hard,  I  picked up  randomly from  the  pile  of  scattered  material &  started  reading…….It  was  an  article by Dr. Jame  Abraham, about  a  lady  suffering  from CML  (Chronic  myeloid  Leukaemia ) under  treatment….
After  browsing  through  the  article, which  dealt  with  the communication  between  doctors  &  patients,  my  thoughts  went  afar…
Abandoning  the  duster beside  me, a  flurry of  visions  loomed  before  me……my  fingers  ached  to  pick  up  a pen  &  start  writing. A numbers  of  thoughts  crossed  my  mind….some  events…Some  questions  started  taking  shape  into  my  mind….
What  was  the  Hippocratic  Oath,  medical  ethics ? Are  physicians  only  technicians  of  the  human  body  which is  akin  to  a  broken  machine ??? How  much is  to  be  confided  to  the  patient or  rather  divulged  to  him ?? How  much  to  emotions  like sympathy  &  compassion play  a  role  in medical  practice ?? Is  the  study  of Medicine only  a mere  cold  science  of  objects, evidence, formulas, numbers  or  datas  or  is  it  touch  of  art  of  healing touch.
A  month  ago…..a  frantic  telephone  call  from  a  very  close  friend  unnerved  me…..As  her  panicked  voice  steadied,  she related & conveyed  me  a disaster…..her lovely  14  year  old  niece was  diagnosed to  have  ALL  (Acute  Lymphoblastic Leukaemia )….
The family  was  devastated….a  young adolescent  girl  was in the  merciless  grasp  of  Blood  Cancer….The  elderly  grandparents,  her  parents,  uncles  &  aunts  were  all  gripped by a shadow of  the  unknown & the  fear  of the  known  medical dilemnas,  for  the child belonged  to  a  family of  doctors  with  many doctor contacts.
Now  was  the  time  to  act  for  oneself…..A  battery  of  expensive tests  confirmed the  diagnosis….What  used  to  be  a collection  of  data,  numbers  &  packages  parceled in  a  human  body  for  the  other  patients,  became  a  stab  of  pain, agony &  sleepless  nights for  the  family.  Today  the roles  were  reversed..a  physician  was  seeking  solace  in  another  physician,  a  colleague.  A  healing  touch of  the physician  with  soft spoken  words  of  empathy was what  required  ….the rest  was  just  a  routine  jargon of  paper  work  and  then  endurance  for  the  inevitable  !!!!
An  innocent  unsuspecting child had  to undergo  the  ruthless chemotherapeutic  regime, which  robbed  her  off  her  youth…..chunks  of  her  gorgeous  hair started  falling  out ;  she  dropped  out  of  her  board  exams, her  limbs were  limp  by  the  inhuman needle  pricks, her  veins were  slowly  getting  destroyed ; as  the  vicious  therapeutic  side  effects  rocked  her  fragile  body, she  was  slowly  losing  her  energy  &  vigour.
Her  only  consolation was  that she was  guided  by  a strong  minded  physician  family behind  her who  would  have the  courage to  overcome  the  obstacles ; as  they not only knew  the prognosis the  dreaded  disease but  also were  well  informed  about  all the pros  & cons  of  the prolonged  3  year  course of  the vigorous  treatment…they  were  comforted  by  the fact  that ALL  in  young  children  had  85%  5  year  survival  rate. The  family  united  in  their  efforts  to  face  this ordeal !!!!!
The  fall  in  platelet  count &  RBC count  of  her  rare A negative blood group  was  immediately  combated  by transfusion  of  6  units  of  platelets  & packed  cell  donated by various  well  wishers,along  with their  blessings….we  appealed  to  the various  donors through  the social  networking site  and sources  &  resources,  through  various contacts.
The  girl  was  brave  enough to  undergo  this rigorous treatment for almost  2  months  when  her  white  cell  count  dropped….her  body  immunity  was  failing &  she  became  prone  to  various  infections.  She  developed    fever  &  had  to  be admitted  thrice  in  a  span  of  3  weeks  in  the  dead  of  night  to  fight  this  turn of  events. She received  high  dose  of  antibiotics  &  drugs  like gCSF (growth colony  stimulating factor).
All  the  while,  her  physician  family &  their  colleagues  worked  against  time  to  keep  in  pace  with  her  health,  determined  to  save  her  frail  body from  the ruthless  disease  &  the  treacherous  effects  of  the  rigorous  treatment.
Continually,  they  received    feedbacks from  eminent  specialists &  mental  support  from    colleagues ,  friends  &  relatives. They  poured  into  various  medical  journals  &  searched  the  internet  for any  new  or  experimental  drugs  or  form  of  treatment  which would  bring a  new  ray of  hope  &  sunshine  into  the life of  their precious child. They  were  ready  to  forgo  their most possessions  for  their  child,  ready  to  fly  abroad at  any  expense. Expensive  drugs were  being  made  available at  any  point  of  time through  the  contacts  &  medical  team.
But  just  look  at  the  scenario  from  the  other  side  of  the  table….what  if  the  patient  did  not  have  any  medical  personnel  in  the  family  ??  What  if  the  gravity  of  the  situation  had  not  been  revealed  to  them  or they  had  been  ignorant of  the situation if  they  had  been common  citizens ????  What if  they  belonged  to  the  lower  socioeconomic  community  where  the  availing  the  luxury  of  such  treatment  was  like  landing  on the  Moon  ???
Would  we  be  treating  a downtrodden community  of patients  with  equal amount  of  compassion &  humanity ??  Would  a  team  of eminent  specialists  wrestle with  life, opportunity  & judgement as best as  they  can….if the family could not pay  a penny  from the  pocket ???? If  the  family  had no contacts, would such  special  facility  be  made  available to  them ???
Should  physicians  mind be ruled  only  by a scientific  approach  of  technicalities, datas,  socioeconomic  environment &  drugs & experiments  which  involve crores  &  crores of  the  world’s  economy, or  should  they  be governed  by a sense  of justice,  compassion, equality & duty  towards  all  patients  alike ??? Should a  hospital  be  broken  up  into  fragments  by a VIP  category  of  patients &  middle  class category &  general class  of patients????
The  little  girl  in  the  picture,  god  bless her, has  many more  years  to  survive……her  physician  family,  their  colleagues , friends  &  relatives  are  there  in every  step  of  her  trial,  they  are  beside  her  to  wipe  away  any tears,  shed  or  unshed, console  her  for  her  words, spoken  or  unspoken……but  who  would  be  available to  spend a  few  valuable  moments  to  usher  words  of  consolation to  the less  luckier  ones,  who cannot  afford  a  square  meal  a  day  let  alone  spend  a dime  on  the treatment….Do  not these unfortunate  ones  deserve  a  better  quality  of  life  & treatment  ???
At  least  they  deserve  our  prayers,  these  “CHILDREN  OF  THE  LESSER  GOD,”  for  even their  friends  &  relatives turn away their  faces when  it  boils  down  to an economic  crisis…..We  so  called  physicians are also  helpless….surely we  cannot  be  expected  to  empty  our  own  wallets  for  the  forsaken !!!!!  Only  perhaps  the Almighty will help  them  as they  are  left to  their  destiny…..The  technological  advancement  &  five  star  treatment  is  perhaps  only  for  those  whom society has  chosen to  be  deserving….the  cream  category of  who can  shop  in  multiplexes, buy innumerable properties  &  shares &  rule over the  economic condition  of  the  country !!! The long  queues & dates  are  only  for the middle  class  the  downtrodden…..
Have  we , in  the  process of  churning ourselves  into  the  most  prestigious  &  noble  professions  of  the  world, somewhere failed to remember  some  valid  points in  the  Hippocratic  Oath  ??
•          I  will remember  that  there  is  art to  medicine  as well as  science,  &  that warmth, sympathy &  understanding  may  outweigh  the  surgeon’s  knife  or chemist’s  drug.
•          I will remember that  I  do not treat  a  fever  chart, a cancerous  growth, but  a  sick  human being,  whose illness  may  affect the  person’s family & economic stability.  My responsibility  includes  these  related  problems, if  I  am  to  care  adequately  for  the sick.

      All  this  reminds  me  of  a verse  from  GITANJALI  by  R.N TAGORE,  which  I  read  in my  childhood…..
      “Give me  strength  to  make  my  love  fruitful in  service….
      Give  me  strength never  to disown  the poor  or  bend  my  knee towards  the insolent  might…
      Give  me the strength to raise  my  mind  high above  daily trifles…
      And  give  me  the  strength  to surrender  my  strength  to  thy will with love…”



                                                                      By Mou  Dutta
                                                                      (Dr.  SUJATA  CHATTERJEE)
                                                                      05.02.2011
© Copyright 2011 Mou Dutta (suj_chat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751229-A--Physicians--prayer