*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751295-Spector-of-Beech-Hill
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #1751295
Writing prompt: Haunted House
My fingers pushed against the rough grain of the wood, my breath catching in my throat when the door cracks open so easily. My eyes quickly scanned the dark front room, the only spears of light coming from the flickering street lamp outside. At first I saw nothing, a bare room covered in dust motes and cobwebs. But I had to do a double take when I thought I spotted something through the doorway towards the back of the room.
I was conflicted, the house was creaking from age, the wind smacking against semi-loose window panes, and the air felt heavy and damp in my lungs. But the truth was the truth, it called to me like a mystery called to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I needed to know, for the sake of whats remaining of my sanity; is the house really haunted like they say or do the towns people just like to mess with unwanted newcomers.
I decided to press on, my curiousity was going to kill someone's cat, but I really needed to know. My sneakers crunched and squeaked from the rain water and I cringed internally berating myself, pausing for a second to make sure a spector wasn't coming up from the floors with a vengence. I sneaked towards the door way, the old wood floors screaming with every step, my fear creeping up my throat and my blood roaring in my ears. My hands felt clammy and moist, my heart pounding in my head, my lungs slammed against my ribs begging for air, and I yelped with suprise when I stepped around the doorway. Because there, in the corner, was me?
At first I thought it was me, but something was obviously wrong. I was just sitting there, my long beautiful blonde hair hanging limp and damp around my face, all slumped over, quiet and pale. I screamed, high piercing sound, and bolted for the front door, my sweaty fingers reaching for the door handle; and they slipped right through, my pale silvery fingers couldn't grasp the handle. They kept going straight through, I wailed frantically, I have to get home! My dad needs me! My brother Charlie! My family needs me! I screamed and cried in panic, trying to get someone's attention. I could see two boys walking down the street, two kids I go to school with.
"Help! Help me! Get me out of here!" I screamed, cried, wailed, banged on the windows, anything to try and get their attention. They glanced my way.
"Dude your right. I think that house is haunted."
"Yeah I know, it's been even worse since that Sarah chick went missing a couple months ago."
© Copyright 2011 devilpup (kdotson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751295-Spector-of-Beech-Hill