*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751646-Where-The-Animals-Speak
Rated: E · Critique · Spiritual · #1751646
This is a short story that I started to write years ago, but never finished.
Where The Animals Speak



The autumn morning breeze was refreshing and cool, a pleasant reprieve after the long hot summer months.  Hushed and gentle, it brushed against my face as I stepped outside to place some bread and bird seed in a feeder for my crow relations. The sun was still low, rising to usher in a new day of opportunities and beginnings, reminding me to let go of all the pains and sorrows of yesterday.  I stopped for a moment to breathe in the fresh air and connect with my relations as I felt myself come alive with new hope.  The life force of  Mother Earth slowly spiraled through my feet and into my body, filling me with energy.  Soon I felt at peace with all of creation with a sense of oneness and felt glad to be alive, when I heard the sound of my telephone faintly ringing from inside.  Thanking and blessing all my relations, I hurried into my apartment as I felt a mixture of emotions; one of sadness for leaving my relations outside, and yet a tingle of excitement, for I knew that this phone call was going to change my life forever, one that would take me to a place where there was no turning back. Little did I know when I answered that call, how correct I would be.  Follow along with me, if you will, as I share with you a most remarkable meeting with a very wise and compassionate person who gave to me a special gift, one that I am learning, still to honor and nurture so I can share with others.







With trembling hand, I answered the phone.  There was no mistaking the voice that was talking excitedly on the other end.  At first, I thought that everything I had hoped for during the past year was going to happen, that he would ask me out, but soon learned that this call was about something else entirely, something that left me curiously energized, anticipating the road before me and a journey into the unknown.



Excitedly he rambled “There’s something in the woods behind my house.  If anyone would know what it is, that person is you. If there is any chance that you can come over and look at it, I would be most appreciative. I realize it’s short notice, but…”



“I’ll check it out.” I replied without hesitation.  There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to see this strange phenomena that he was trying to describe.

With a sigh of relief, Shaman Dyami thanked me, gave me directions to his house and hung up.  I stood there for a moment gazing at a spider web recently spun in the corner of my front room and felt a tingle.  A soft gentle whisper of a wise and elderly woman urged me to hurry, and within minutes I shut the door behind me as I bolted to my car, leaving the world as I knew it behind me forever.



I arrived at Shaman’s house to find two of our mutual friends, and Shaman’s coworkers, staring into the woods, mystified and confused.



“I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life” said the one we knew as Smokey.  We never knew what his real name was. Smokey was a member of a local biker group that called themselves Spider Skulls.  The Spider Skulls were a harmless bunch of young men and women who prided themselves in riding their Harley Davidsons , making a lot of noise and spending the rest of their time drinking beer.  Twenty seven year old Smokey had the honors of holding a job and taking care of his biker family.  Being good natured, he was always there to lend a hand when someone was in trouble.



Standing next to Smokey and scratching his head as he looked into the woods was twenty three year old Bubba Ray Taylor, otherwise known as Skeeter.  Skeeter was a country boy, living and working on his farm when he wasn’t at work.  He lived simply but had the intelligence of a college professor.  Skeeter barely had time for himself as his job and the farm kept him busy, but like Smokey, he was always there to lend a helping hand.  Skeeter had quite an eye for the ladies.



This brings me to Shaman Dyami.  He kept mostly to himself, remaining private about his life.  He was quiet and shy, but sweet and compassionate.  Shaman, who is normally logical and practical, isn’t given to wild fancies, and when he spoke, I knew that he was not exaggerating or imagining things.  He spotted me coming up the drive and greeted me warmly.  Again he tried to describe what he saw without much luck. I glanced into the woods and spotted something that literally took my breath away.  There, dancing in the light of the sun’s first rays, was a small patch of fog, glistening like tiny diamonds and casting a rainbow along it’s path.  I felt hypnotized by it’s presence and longed to dance with it, to become a part of it, and I felt energy projecting frame it’s source, beckoning me forward, to come close.



“Hurry” she whispered into my ear.  I nodded hello to Shaman’s two companions and without a backward glance, I ran up the path, ignoring Smokey and Skeeter who were shouting at me to come back.  Shaman ran after me, but I ignore him too, for I knew what I had to do, and I needed to follow that voice that called out to me.  When I reached that spot that puzzled my friends I beheld something beautiful and incredible.  Again I heard her calling, and waving of Shaman’s pleas to stop, I slowly walked forward and stepped through a veil, a passageway into a world very much unlike the one I just left behind.



Dazzling rays from the sun flickered before me, and it took several minutes for my eyes to adjust to the brightness, which momentarily blinded me.  I turned around and realized that Shaman, Smokey and Skeeter had followed me to this strange and mysterious land.  We stood for a moment, speechless and in awe.  Never before had I seen anything so beautiful and magnificent.  Emerald green grass cushioned our feet like lush carpet, the air scented with pine and oak, and the tiny stones that rested upon the path sparkled and shimmered in the light, like tiny diamonds.  The dark blue skies of Father Sky reached it’s arms to embrace us and to welcome us to this land that we have come.  I felt like my old friend, Coyote, giddy and light hearted as I stood there in all the splendor of the earth.  Then I realized where we were, for I had been here before, in the time when one journeys out of their body at nights to learn, gain enlightment and create.



“I know where we are” I said. “This is the land where the animals speak.  Nothing is as it seems.  All is good.”



“Why are we here?” Smoked asked.



“We are here to learn, to journey.  We have been called and we have heeded that call.  There is no turning back.  The veil is closed and we must proceed.  Do not be afraid. Nothing here will harm us” I explained.



Shaman, who is of few words, remained quiet the whole time, listening to every word spoken and slowly becoming aware of all that was happening around us as he surveyed the threshold from which we crossed.



“I see nothing of my house or the woods behind it” he finally spoke. “It’s as though it had vanished.

Before any of us could speak, we heard something move from behind a bush just off the path.  Paralyzed, we listened to the sound of rustling leaves, knowing that whatever it was, it was headed our way.  I felt no fear though, rather complete trust that whatever we may encounter during our stay would be to strengthen us, give us a new purpose in life, and to help us to let go of that in our lives that we no longer needed.  It was not just my life that was going to change, but also the lives of my three companions.



The sound was getting louder and and four of us looked at each other for a moment when Skeeter gasped “Look”



We all turned slowly in the direction that Skeeter had indicated, and my heart jumped.



“This is going to be one magnificent journey” I whispered, as all four of us looked into the eyes for the Elder who stood before us.





To be continued.
© Copyright 2011 Elizabeth Bonney (moonstonewolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1751646-Where-The-Animals-Speak