*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752837-Beached
by Markus
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Mythology · #1752837
Flash fiction contest entry
Glancing back over my right shoulder, I can see my footprints snaking along the tides jetsam; wormy wood and green beach glass litter the glistening sand. An old bottle is floating in a pool to my left, no message to read but I do not have time for distractions today. Forging ahead I scan the coast but do not see what I am searching for.

My back is hot as the sun’s rays beat down upon my skin and I leap into a frothy wave to cool down. Back on the sand I take off the seaweed that clung to my body as I returned from the sea. Thirst is becoming an issue as I trudge along the coast and I imagine my throat as an old garden hose, dry and cracked from lack of moisture. No matter for soon the water will slow and turn and my quest must be finished before the tide goes out-or all will be lost.

The warm sandy beach has now given way to a cold and rocky length of coast. Throwing away my caution I scurry across the rocks desperate for a sign of my quarry. Damning the gods I scream out in agony. I stare down at my left leg as the blood flows from the arch of my foot. My fury is concentrated on the shard of conch shell that sliced me. Cursing my ancestors, I fling the shell back into the sea.

Lying over the rocks I am destroyed. The tide is ebbing from me and I am exhausted. I turn from the water. I roll my eyes to the heavens and the golden glint of my crown hits my eye. I reach out and grasp my destiny. Laughing I, Neptune, King of the Sea, swim home.



300 words
© Copyright 2011 Markus (machjordan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752837-Beached