*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1753332-Wishing-Chapter-Four
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Detective · #1753332
"Wishing" Chapter Four~
Had I not been there, Megan wouldn't have hesitated to open the mysterious envelope.

But I considered the possibility of my uncle walking in and seeing us with an unconscious dove and a mysterious letter, which would NOT be good. Especially since this must have been important, if it couldn't have been sent through actual mail.

I glanced around before leaning in towards Megan and whispering, "Come on, my father's study," and then gesturing towards the stairs going up into the tower, AKA the library, AKA my father's study.

Truth be told I wasn't actually allowed into the library without my father accompanying me. Strange, because this was nothing more than a library. Sure, maybe he had important paperwork from work in here, but why would I ever mess with it?

The library was in a tower, which had to be climbed by the spiral staircase. I can't even begin to describe how weird it is to have a tower like that in a Mid-Illinois house, but then again Father always liked....different things.

I led Megan into the library, gagging as soon as I took a step in. The room smelled completely like dust, as if nobody had entered and let in fresh air in months. But...Dad had been up here just recently, right? Where else would he have been disappearing to?

Megan stood silently by the door as I ripped the maroon colored curtains back, letting the sun shine into the room while all the while opening the window to let in some fresh November air.

"Take a seat," I sighed, gesturing towards the two large mahogany-wood-and-maroon-leather chairs.

Megan obliged. With my hands shaking terribly, I ripped open the pink envelope, careful not to tear the contents. Inside, as suspected, was a letter. Well, just a plain white sheet of paper folded over. Nervously, I unfolded it.


I had to read the words twice to myself before saying them out loud in a shaky voice.


"To Miss Myranda 'Storm' Rush,

word of your father's death has just recently reached me. I would like to start out by saying I am terribly sorry for your loss.

But there are more important matters at hand. With Richard out of the way there is absolutely nothing stopping Le Basso from getting to YOU.

Storm, this may sound all too confusing, but mark my words you WILL later regret not making a decision now.

You have two logical choices in this matter. Run, and go into hiding like your mother. Leave behind the life you once knew and create a better one for yourself.

Or you can fight back. Do not let Le Basso destroy your world. Stop them before they can hurt anyone else.

No matter your choice I'll be waiting for you at the SunnySide Motel in Sylvania, Ohio. Be there at the crack of dawn on Tuesday morning.

Also, please keep in mind that Miss Lucide could turn out to be a much better ally than you thought. Do not underestimate her, as do not yourself.

Storm, the fate of this world as we know it could very well be lying in your hands.

-C"


Underneath that was an address for the hotel and the words "Room #27."

I barely registered when Megan ripped the letter out of my hands to read it over for herself. Instead I took a few steps before collapsing into the other leather chair, my eyes staring blankly ahead, at nothing. My movements felt... almost robotic.

"Your father...died?" Megan said with horror in her voice.

I nodded, blinking several times and looking at her. "Murdered," I said bluntly.

"Storm, I'm...so sor-"

"Don't say you're sorry," I snapped. She looked at me with surprise in her eyes. "I absolutely HATE it when people apologize for things that they had no control over. It's not your fault that he was killed. If anybody's fault, it's MINE." She continued staring at me, waiting for an explanation. "I saw the murderer. Okay, so maybe I had gotten there a little too late to stop it from happening. But if I had held together better, maybe I would have been able to think of someway to help him before he-" my voice broke. I choked.

Megan stayed silent, turning her attention back to the letter. She knew I didn't want to talk about it any further.

"Who's Richard?"

"My dad."

"What's Le Basso?"

"If I knew that, I'm pretty sure I would have explained by now."

"How does this mysterious C person know who I am?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," I spat. "I just met you yesterday. We've barely talked. Who is this person, and how do they know who I am, and more importantly, who YOU are? How do they know my father, and how do they know about his death? What does Le Basso have to do with anything?"

I realized I was the one asking all the questions now. So I decided I needed to answer some.

"Okay, so... the letter is just signed 'C.' No return address. But this person knows my first name, Myranda, something I've never told anyone. And they know who my father is. Maybe somebody he worked with? But then again-"

"What's this about your mother?" Megan interrupted. I stared. "'Run, and go into hiding like your mother.'"

I blinked again. "My mother... my mother went missing seven years ago. Along with my brother. There's no way they could know about her when even I don't."

"Well, they obviously do."

"That's one more question we need to find an answer to..." I muttered.

"Excuse me, but did you just say WE?" Megan's eyes lit up as she caught my mistake.

I was about to correct myself and tell her to stay out of it. But the letter... "Yeah, I said we. Because whoever C is, he or she obviously wants us to work together."

Megan grinned.

I sighed.

"Le Basso... that sounds French. Maybe Italian."

At the word 'Italian,' I glanced up. "In Italian 'Le Basso' means 'The Low.'"

"And you know this how...?"

"Long story short, I speak fluent Italian."

"I don't suppose we could find out who they are by searching Google?"

"We could try, but C makes it sound like these people are pretty important. And if they're important I would have heard the name before. Which I haven't, so they must be pretty secretive."

I stood up, walking over to the bookshelves, which circled the whole entire room, except for where the window and door were.

I ran my hand along the shelf, picking up dust. "The books in this section are about Italy... if Le Basso is really some Italian company, Dad would have had a book on it."

The books ranged in color and shape, each with the title printed on the spine in golden letters. There were books on Italian history, Italian cities, and Italian restaurants. None said anything about Le Basso.

When my eyes scanned across a plain black book with no words on the spine, I stopped, pulling the book off the shelf to see if it had a title on the front cover. But the second I had the book in my hand, the floor shook for a few seconds. I heard a creaking sound coming from the shelf. And something that sounded unmistakingly like...locks unlocking.

"No way..." I muttered.

"You don't think...?" Megan whispered, coming up to stand right next to me.

"A secret room hidden behind a book shelf? Nancy Drew much?"

But suddenly, Megan and I both had a hand on the shelf.

Exchanging a quick glance, we pushed on the shelf together.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue ------> http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730006-Wishing-Prologue
Chapter One -----> http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730060-Wishing-Chapter-One
Chapter Two -----> http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1739667-Wishing-Chapter-Two
Chapter Three ------>
Chapter Four ------> You're Here
Chapter Five ------> http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1760789-Wishing-Chapter-Five

© Copyright 2011 Maggie Rush (stormrush at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1753332-Wishing-Chapter-Four