*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754324-My-Values
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Aims
Rated: E · Essay · Biographical · #1754324
I wrote an essay in my Family Health Class. This piece that I wrote is extremely personal.
“Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” –M. Scott Peck. This quote means a lot to me, it means that until I have a certain values that I cherish then I won’t have anything to fill my time. If I don’t fill my time and value it, I won’t get anything out of it. I am a huge procrastinator so that quote gives me motivation. Values are vital in my life for several reasons. Most of my values are based off of my religion. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church that I belong to and always will be. I've been in this church ever since I was born, even before that.
"All the particular moral judgments we intuitively make are likely to derive from discarded religious systems, from warped views of sex and bodily functions, or from customs necessary for the survival of the group in social and economic circumstances that now lie in the distant past." -Peter Singer. Moral Judgment and personal consistency is extremely extensive in my life. When I hear the words 'moral judgment' or 'honesty' or 'doing the right thing' one word always comes to mind; Integrity. Everything we do is our decision, with those decisions comes consequences. The power of integrity tells us whether what we are doing is right or wrong. My moral judgment is important to me because my religion, teaches me that my moral judgment affects what I do and how I do it. My beliefs of doing the right thing influence others. Always, when I do something that I know I shouldn't have; there's this little thing in the back of my mind telling me to repent of my sin and right then and there, I know that I shouldn't do it again. I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. Like my dad, I love to talk and express my opinion, no matter who I'm talking to. Since my religion is what my life is, I'm not afraid to take a stand and tell the things of the true church. In one of Eminem's songs Not Afraid, he sings, "I'm not afraid to take a stand. Everybody come take my hand.
We'll walk this road together, through the storm."
Family is my number one thing in life, I wouldn’t trade them for anything because they are my world. Throughout my childhood, I didn’t appreciate my family as much as I do now. I always fought with them, and threw tantrums. But now that my little brothers are doing somewhat the same things as I did, I realize the heartache and pain I caused my family. So I do my best to teach my little brothers to be the best they can be. As part of my religion, family is pretty much the center of happiness. With the Eternal Plan that surrounds my family daily, a loving home is the keystone of our religion and lives. I remember one nice sunny day my dad decided that it was going to be a family day. The type of personality I have is very stubborn and obstinate. I didn't want to go and refused because my friends had invited me to hang out that same particular day. Well because of how much my dad enforced the "family hanging out day" ; I couldn't go to see my friends. We ended up going to Mukilteo Beach and for dinner we had KFC. Another trait about me is that I'm a vegetarian, I despise KFC anyway so I definitely did not want to eat there. I thought and thought about it, and realized how much pain and discomfort I was causing my family and how it affected their attitudes as well. So, I had some mash potatoes, thick gravy, and the most disgusting macaroni and cheese but it filled me up so I was happy. I spent the rest of the day with my family and it turned out for the better, I changed my attitude towards my family and then their attitudes changed. I've learned that I need to spend as much time as I can with my family, because you never know how much time you have left. Or, later in life when you think back on those memories; you'll regret the bad actions you made.

According to the first amendment, it talks about the freedom of speech and how no one can lock us up just because we state our opinion. I am a very independent person, I don't need a person to make me who I am. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends and people with all my heart, but I can live without being babied. When I was younger, I never had to get told to clean my room. It was a natural habit for me. Usually, skills come naturally to me and that's what makes me who I am, a very freedom-loving person who strives to be independent. Now that I'm older, I don't like being alone but that is somewhat different than independence in which is you personality. I am the type of girl who doesn't like being told what to do. I become very rebellious if I'm bossed around or scolded because I'm not following directions. Drama and crap are things that I don't take. People know that If you try to mess with me, I'm independent enough to defend myself and take a stand. My favorite song right now is "Firework" By Katy Perry; this song has given me an independence boost as well as a self esteem boost. The value of believing in yourself isn't always there for me, people do affect me though. There are those days when something someone says actually hurts me. That's just what makes me human. I'm not that person who is always tough and beats down other people. I may seem like that, but that's just me showing my independency. I have emotions, we all do.
When I told my mom about my results of this survey, she said that out of all three; Moral Judgment and Personal Consistency was the most important one. I'm pretty sure me and my mom don't have the exact same values, I'm sure that she values Family more than I do. In addition, she doesn't value independence and freedom as much as I do. One of my best friends, Adam and I were comparing results and we both value Independence and freedom. On the value of friendship and companionship, we both got the same score! A nice 63 was the total. My kindest friend, Janelle and I were also comparing each others' scores, we both value Moral Judgment and Personal Consistency. For my little Janelle, she got 4 points more than me. Which makes sense because she seems like that kind of person. Right now I am imagining myself 15 years from now.. I see... well I see myself valuing my family way more than I do. As well as security. In 15 years I will be married and have kids, with a family to hold up; security is very important to keep my family in my mind and safe so I can love and provide the best for them. I think this survey is semi-accurate. In my personal opinion, I value knowledge way more than a 42%. I'm hoping by 2026, my value of helping others will increase so I can work on my selfishness and care for others around me, even strangers.
© Copyright 2011 Aims (pianohoney15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754324-My-Values