*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754891-Lesson-5-Part-2
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1754891
Writing a scene with a symbol.
Lisa slowly punched in her best friend’s number. “Hey, Mandy. Can you meet me at our spot down by the lake after dinner?”

“Sure. What’s up?”

“Nothin’ special. I just got somethin’ neat I want to show you.”

“Okay. See you there about 6:30.”

Lisa swallowed the lump in her throat and sprawled face down on her bed. Her mom had just dumped the news on her that they were moving…again. She knew they had to go where her dad could find work, but it was really hard this time

She pulled the photo of Mandy off her mirror, and before she knew what she was doing, she tore it in half. Then, immediately, she tried to put it back together. Three years of best friends was a long time. I won’t go. I’ll run away. She sat there for a long time looking at the two halves of Mandy’s picture as though she were memorizing every detail of her friend’s appearance, the long, straight sun-bleached hair, the red tube top that showed the strap lines where her bathing suit went, the little freckles across her nose, the big brown eyes that could see right into your soul.

---

Lisa saw her sitting on the picnic table, staring off into the lake. She clomped toward her through the dead leaves, and Mandy turned to wave.

“What cha got?” Mandy asked as Lisa boosted herself up on the table beside her. Mandy had noticed the box she was carrying.

“Just somethin’ I picked up I thought you might like.”

“Yeah? What is it? Let me see?” Lisa handed her the box, and Mandy flipped off the lid.

“A puzzle?” Mandy looked puzzled, herself.

“Yeah. It’s special. Let’s put it together.”

“Ookaay.” Mandy had that “I wonder what you’re up to” look on her face, but went along with her friend and started laying out the pieces. Both girls worked together, quietly, not noticing the squirrels rustling around looking for nuts or the birds calling their mates to come back to the nest for the night.

When about one third of the puzzle was together, Mandy realized what it was. “It’s a picture of us! Wow, where did you get this? You are so smart.” She gave Lisa a big hug. Releasing her, she looked into her eyes, shocked at what she saw there. “What’s wrong? I know something’s wrong. Tell me.”

“Nothing, nothing’s wrong. I’m glad you like the puzzle. I’m just feelin’ sentimental, I guess. It’s getting dark. We’d better put it back in the box and get home.”

Mandy did not notice the piece Lisa palmed and put in her jeans’ pocket. There would be one piece missing when Mandy tried to put it together again. One piece that Lisa hoped she could put into place sometime in the future.
© Copyright 2011 Happy 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754891-Lesson-5-Part-2