*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755882-Cerberus---Prologue-Revised-Version
by James
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1755882
Revised version of my previous "Cerberus - Prologue" item in my portfolio.
Sam Collins moved forward, swiftly and silently, just as he was trained. He turned, squinted through the darkness for any sign of his pursuer. There was none. Surveying his surroundings, Sam realized that he must be in some kind of maze built of both seven-foot high stone walls and hedges. Looking up at the sky, he noticed it was clear, the stars shining brightly and the moon casting a dim glow over the earth.

There was a small crunch of gravel behind him. Sam moved to the left just in time as a bullet whistled past his ear. He reached inside his jacket and made to pull the Browning Hi-Power out of his shoulder holster. Sam swore. The trigger was caught on the holster. Quickly and impatiently, he attempted to release the trigger. Then there was another bang, different to the first, and Sam withdrew his hand quickly.

He looked up. His pursuer must surely be close now. He was right. A short man stepped out of the shadows. His head was bald save for a few bristles bridging the centre, and his eyes were dark and lacking in warmth. Thick, muscular arms protruded from the black woollen sleeve of his jumper, and clutched in his hands was an AK-47.

The man raised the weapon and pointed it straight at Sam. Sam watched the man’s finger travel towards the trigger and began counting, just as he had learnt when fighting with the Special Boat Service. Ten... nine... eight... the man’s finger was nearing the trigger... seven... six... five... four... three... two... the finger had reached the trigger... one... go!

Sam dove to the left just as a string of bullets hammered into the hedge behind him. Using his momentum to turn the dive into a roll, Sam recovered immediately and launched towards his attacker. Catching the man by surprise, he pulled the man’s legs from under him. As the man hit the floor, Sam’s fist was in the air and then travelling down before connecting with the man’s temple.

A pair of feet connected with his stomach, and two seconds later Sam found that he was slumped against one of the hedges. Wait. What was that, shining on the ground less than a foot away? Sam’s face lit up as he realised that what lay beside him was his own weapon, finally released from it’s holster. He dove forward, scooped the gun off the ground and turned quickly, firing. His attacker slumped backwards as his body went rigid.

Sam rose from the ground and turned to leave, clutching the bleeding bullet wound in his side.
© Copyright 2011 James (vendrago at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755882-Cerberus---Prologue-Revised-Version