*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756802-Flash-Fiction-Entry-225
by JP
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1756802
Fash fiction entry. Prompt: purple, earring, wall. Word Count: 295.
    She sat with her eyes firmly closed and her back pressed up against the cold, stone wall.  She tried not to breathe knowing, if she did, their bat-like ears would hear her.  She pulled her knees tightly into her chest and tried to make herself as small as she could.  She could feel the moisture creeping in behind her eyelids.  She thought back to when she was younger and how, whenever she was afraid, she would close her eyes and disappear.  If only that would happen now, she thought.
    She heard the scratching sound their footsteps made against the concrete floor.  They were looking for her.  She kept praying their footsteps would fade, but they only got closer.  She held her breath and did not move listening intently for their next steps, but all she heard was silence.
    Her curiosity got the best of her, and she did the unthinkable.  She raised her head to look down the tunnel, and as she did, her emerald earring fell from her ear and hit the rock-hard floor.
They heard.
    She could hear their rat like feet scraping the concrete as they ran toward her hiding place.  She tried to stand to run, but her limbs were frozen.  When she finally got to her feet, they were closing in on her.  She started to run down the narrow tunnel as fast as she could, knowing they were right on her heels.  She could hear them panting, gasping, and running after her blood.  She ran harder and faster until she reached a gated end.  There was no escape.  She pulled on the bars and tugged to no avail, and when she heard them closing in on her, she turned her head to see a bright flash of purple light…
© Copyright 2011 JP (jananagins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756802-Flash-Fiction-Entry-225