*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756815-Flash-Fiction-Entry-31
by JP
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1756815
Flash Fiction entry. Prompt: clock, bowl, flag. Word count: 299.
    I sat at the breakfast table and munched on a bowl of shredded wheat staring at the clock on the wall.  I had exactly 15 minutes to finish eating, brush my teeth again, and bike to school.  It was supposed to rain today, so I needed to hurry.  With shredded wheat, you have a very small time window to eat it, and mine had already turned to mush, so I threw it in the sink and ran upstairs to rebrush my teeth.  I know it’s weird, but I can’t eat food with dirty teeth, and I can’t go to school with milk breath.
    I ran back downstairs, grabbed my raincoat, and headed out the door.  I mounted my rusty, red bike and peddled my way towards town.  I was running a little late, and I wanted to beat the rain, so I biked a little faster than usual.  As I drove through the market square, I saw Mrs. Littrell outside her store, arms flailing and her white hair blowing in the wind.  She was trying to flag me down.  I screeched to a stop and asked if she needed anything.
    “I have that information you asked for, dear, about the old Marley house,” she said.
My eyes got wide. 
    “You have my full attention,” I said enthusiastically.
    “Well, I will be here waiting for you after school.  You better get going.  The rain’s coming.”
    School.  I had already forgotten where I was going.  I thanked her, waved goodbye, and continued on my way thinking about the house as I rode. 
    I craved that information all day long.  I could barely concentrate in any of my classes.  I just kept creating scenarios in my head about hauntings, voodoo, and other supernatural things.  I had to know what I had seen…
© Copyright 2011 JP (jananagins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756815-Flash-Fiction-Entry-31