*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756896-Bad-Guess
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1756896
Eddie makes a bad guess. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: Tools, Flood and Light

Bad Guess

The house he grew up in - gone; swept away with the rest of the town.

It was merciful though.

Don’t let them think I’m not merciful.

There were no warning bells; no screams. Only a bit of the backhand of God. One moment the town was there; the next…

Under the light of the moon, then entire event had an eerie sense of divinity

Floods can be so cleansing, Eddie thought…and abrupt.

That last bit brought him a smile.

It was good to smile. After being raised under the lash of his father’s punishing god, Eddie'd finally broken free. No more suffering for a wrong thought. No more, “No dinner for you, you sinner.” No more suffering from the misinterpreted writings in a leather bound tome authored by men claiming to know something unknowable.

No more suffering under laws dictated by a voice that no one could hear.

Eddie had found something better.

No, that is not quite right.

Something better had found Eddie.

It had found him locked in the shed outside where he lay shivering on a worn mattress; nothing special - just his daily ration of wrath for whatever offense his father imagined Eddie had committed.

Eddie had been found by The Voice and his life changed.

The Voice spoke and Eddie listened.

It had told him how to use the special tools that would damage the dam so it would fail in just the right way, at just the right time.

“That’s just the beginning,” it had said.

Now, as Eddie turned from the destruction he’d unleashed, he could hear the voice stroking him gently with words of praise.

“Well done Eddie. Well done. Next, we set things to burn.”

“Are you God?” Eddie asked.

“What would be your second guess?” the voice replied innocently.

Word count 300


© Copyright 2011 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756896-Bad-Guess