*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1757389-Are-You-a-Slave-of-Christ
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #1757389
Slave or Servant? Christ or satan?
NOTE:  I am sure some of you will notice when I write, that I spell satan with a lower case letter in front, which is actually not grammatically correct.  I do this simply as a preference because I will never put satan in the same realm of importance as Jesus or God.  I don't believe satan deserves a "capital letter billing" :)

You are either a slave to God, sold out, bought with a price, or you are a slave to satan and sin.  Those are the only two choices.  Jesus paid the ultimate price to buy you out of slavery to sin (if you are one of the chosen of God, called to Him), and to be a slave for Christ.  This picture or analogy is from John MacArthur's book Slave.  Most people think that when you are saved you are a servant of Christ, and they don't think of it as being a slave.  If you go back to the Greek and Hebrew though, you will see that the word they are using is "doulos" which means slave, not servant.  When it was translated, it was translated as servant because of the negative connotation everyone had on slavery in those days.  Even in this day and age, we look at it as a negative thing to be a slave, so we don't realize the importance of this small word distinction.  If you are a servant, you can quit, you can decide what you will or won't do for the one you serve, and you are free to do whatever you want.  When you are a slave, you are purchased, with a price, and you are to do the will of the Master who purchased you.  You are to do whatever that master asks, and are not free to do whatever you want.  So, ask yourself this question, would you rather satan be your master, and be a slave to sin?  Or would you rather Christ be your master and be a slave to Him?  Because if you are a slave to sin, you are bound for eternal hell, separated from Christ and His love.  If you are a slave to Christ, He has bought you with the ultimate price of His own precious blood, so that you might be joint heirs with Him in the next life.  God is a good Master, who loves us so much He sent His ONLY son to die for us so that we might be with Him in eternity. 
Col. 3:12-14
12 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

You cannot serve two masters, so you need to make a choice.  Either you are going to be a slave to sin and satan, and live for your flesh, which leads to death:
Col. 3:5-6
5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming.

Or, if you are one of Gods chosen elect, you can serve as the good Masters slave, and walk in the light both in life and in death:

John 6:63-65
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64But there are some of you who do not believe." (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."
© Copyright 2011 DianaLee (mccloud9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1757389-Are-You-a-Slave-of-Christ