*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758073-Genesis-Working-Title
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Fantasy · #1758073
Lynnea and the other chosen children of Odessa are exploring their new abilities and life.
After a year, they found it wasn’t a miserable life beyond their loses. Some children who could not eat at home without a day’s work crawled into bed with full bellies and minds swimming with new information. They traveled to the market and sampled fruit from the Sevvin Mountains, spiced meats from Cadasal, and the plump fresh pink flesh of Tamrilian salmon. Their shoes were fitted and comfortable and they learned a dozen new ways to say, “Thank you.”

Those parents who could afford to visit did so often. Others waited for special occasions when the Salons funded the travel and stay of the families. The ones without families, either abandoned to the Salons or orphaned, were consoled in gardens that dripped with the scent of Celeblooms. They were rocked and comforted by their elders until all they remembered of the world before was a grey blur.

Their personal gifts were developed in their individual Salons, nurtured by like-trained Courtesan. For weightier academics they gathered as one group in the courtyards of their new home, alternating between them. Splayed on the grass and warmed by the sun, they scribbled answers on slate boards, identical in their white garbs. The only discerning traits were the small embroidered Salon symbols on their sleeves.

Most days passed without incident. But, as new abilities developed, so did their curiosity. During their breaks they huddled together and whispered the secrets of their talents.

“I have to sing all the time,” whispered one girl, “always says ‘open your mouth more.’ I open it so hard it hurts!”

They all giggled at that.

“Well at least you get to do something,” said Navia, “All they tell me is to look at a flame until it feels cool. I don’t even know what that means. I touched it once, just to see if it really was. I thought maybe it was magic, but I burned myself.”

The children nodded their agreement.

“It’s true,” said one boy “Fire’s salon is boring.”

More giggles.

“What about you Teserin?” asked Lynnea.

He dropped his head and pulled up a handful of grass, “It’s stupid.”

“I think they’re all stupid,” said Navia.

Teserin looked around the courtyard to see if anyone was looking then grabbed Navia’s hand. He squinted his eyes and leaned in close to her face.

Navia paled and pushed him away, hard, sending him colliding into Lynnea, and sending Lynnea sprawling on her back.

“What did you do that for!” he yelled.

“You were going to kiss me!” screeched Navia.

“I wasn’t going to kiss you stupid! I just healed your hand!”

Navia looked down at her fingers. The dark pink mark had lightened considerably. She flexed her fingers then smiled.

“It doesn’t hurt anymore,” said Navia.

“You aren’t supposed to do that,” said another boy from Earth, “they said not until initiation.”

Teserin tossed a small pebble towards the boy’s head, “Tattletale.“

“I’m not telling!” said the boy, who slumped in place and spent the rest of the time looking pensive.

Lynnea lay in the grass still, staring up at the sky. She smiled a little, rolling her newly acquired knowledge in her mind.

“He thought about kissing you,” she said.

“Did not!” said Teserin.

Navia blushed. Teserin blushed. Lynnea grinned and watched the clouds drift by. It wasn’t Air but she thought, in that moment, it might be fun.
© Copyright 2011 Whispered Grace (butawhisper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758073-Genesis-Working-Title