*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758117-Growing-up-in-front-of-the-TV
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Cultural · #1758117
Memories of simpler times and simpler entertainment.
Growing Up with Television

Television has been with me all of my life.  When I was young first thing in the morning:  "Hey Kids!  What time is it?"  We would all respond "It's Howdy Doody Time!"  When we were done with Howdy a quick change of chanel would bring us to Captain Kangaroo.  Who could forget! 

And what about Saturday mornings with Sky King and Rin Tin Tin?  The Lone Ranger Rides again, or Roy Rogers and Dale Evans? 

Later in life the evenings were filled with Branded, The Rifleman, and Bonanza!  All of these were simpler shows from simpler times.  These times were memorialized in shows like Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley but can you remember Welcome Back Kotter and the class goof Vinnie Bobarino? 

We all enjoyed the sappy and simple shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Gilligan's Island. 

Then we all grew up some more and our tastes changed as we began to search for heroes in shows like Batman and Star Trek (The Original Series for my fellow Trekkers, Live Long and Prosper!). 

All of these shows had no sex, no scandal, and very little gross violence.  For today's audience they would have very little entertainment value.  Remember Dr. Kimble the fugitive and how tragic his life had turned?  Speaking of tragedies how about David Bruce Banner?  Do you remember the time before The Incredible Hulk when his Uncle Martin lived with him?  He truly was My Favorite Martian! 

People have changed, and times have changed.  We all grow up so much faster now.  Embrace the child that still lies within.  Dare to wish upon that star!  The Happy Days will return!
© Copyright 2011 tYpO/T.Boilerman (dllee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758117-Growing-up-in-front-of-the-TV