*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758931-Character-development
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1758931
Meeting my new character wasn't as great as you would think. Here's our 1st conversation.
*Hello.


~Hello, how are you?


*I'm good. Been an easy day so far. How about yours?


~My day just started


*Really? Why's that?


~Well, it's simple. You've just turned your computer on. I wouldn't be here if you hadn't decided that you need to write something.


*Oh, that's right. I'm talking to myself. I forgot.


~No you're not! You're talking to me!


*Well, who are you then?


~I don't know. You haven't given me a name yet.


*I'm supposed to name you?


~Well, yes. You ARE the one who just created me. You opened the top of your laptop, pressed the button and while waiting for it to boot up a thought crossed you mind that you need to write. Call it divine intervention if you want to. Or if you'd like, you could do what everyone else is doing and just accept it as complete lunacy. Either way, what you have going here could be the work of a century. You never know. So have you come up with a name yet or should we just continue on?


*Well, I'd feel pretty stupid trying to avoid the 'what's it's name' game through the whole thing. But then again as I have just noticed, I don't know if you're male or female either. So I suppose I have to decide that too?


~Absolutely! You are the creator. You get to decide.


*Ok, I think the best way to decide your gender would be to flip a coin. What do you think?


~Um, well... I’m not so sure that's a good thing. What if you decide that I’m a guy and later on it turns out that I’m NOT!


*Are you trying to tell me something?


~I just might be. Have you thought about what the voice in your head sounds like? Does my voice sound like a man's voice?


*No. it almost sounds like my voice.


~So then a good assumption would be that we're both female. Correct?


*Right on, Sista! K so you're a girl. How old are you?


~Again... you're asking the wrong person.


*Crap! Ok I like the idea that you could be older and wiser. Someone who knows the answers and can tell me what I need to do.


~Are you looking for me to be your Mother or your conscience?


*Oooh! That's harsh! Attitude too; interesting. Alright, let's leave age up to the reader. Where are you fr.... sigh. Where should I make you come from? Do you need to come from anywhere? Will you feel less of a character if I don't give you a home town? Can I just squeak by without any explanation as to who or what you are or where you might have come from?


~Sure. I'm whoever you make me out to be. That's the fun part. You can make me into anyone you want without ever having to make up your mind on who I even am. Unfortunately for me, I get to live this meager existence being nothing more than a voice in your head.


*Oh for Christ's sake! Are you kidding me? I see you're not too proud to use guilt to get your way.


~Not at all! In fact, its one of my best traits! I can guilt a lollipop away from a 4 year old!


*You're a nut bag too!


~Look who's talking! You're the one sitting here having an imaginary conversation on your laptop.


*It's called character development!


~It doesn't matter what you call it! It's a simple question of if you've lost your marbles or not!


*Oh, piss off! Who are you to judge me?


~You made me.
© Copyright 2011 T.L. Darling (tldarling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758931-Character-development