*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1759002-LIFE
Rated: 18+ · Editorial · Biographical · #1759002
An abbreviated version of one man, (fathers) journey through life. 2nd version.
                                                                                LIFE

                                                            (From  a  Fathers  point  of  view)



      Let  me  begin  by  saying  that  this  is  by  no  means  a  slur  against  Women  or  Mothers.  I  unequivocally  take  my  hat  off  to  women  everywhere.  I  have  always,  and  will  to  my  dying  day  state  that  I  think  the  role  of  being  a  housewife  and  mother  is  one  of  the  hardest,  if  not  thee  hardest  work  that  there  is.  Raising  a  family  and  keeping  house  is  by  no  means  a  small  feat.  There  are  some  women  who  do  this  and  also  work,  so,  for  every  man  out  there  that  comes  home  from  work  and  says  "I’m knackered,"  stop  for  a  minute  and  consider  what  your  wife  has  also  been  through;

 

    This,  is  simply  my  outlook  on  life,  from  a  fathers  point  of  view.  Today  is  Tuesday  the  15th  March,  in  two  days  time  I  will  be  Sixty,  I have  travelled  the  journey  of  life  and  this  is  simply  my  version  of  it.  There  are  probably  plenty  of  men out  there  who  will  relate  to  this,  but  for  what  it  is  worth  here  is  my  version.

For  me  the  happiest  day  of  any  Fathers  life,  would  have  to  be,  the  birth  of  each  of  his  children.  The  first  glimpse  of  one’s  first  child,  changes  every  husband  to  a  father,  this  change  comes  with  a  feeling  of  elation  that  puts  you  on  cloud  nine.  No  man  or  woman  receives  any  training  for  their  role  as  parent,  you  just  know:  Don’t  ask  me  how,  you  just  do.



      As  for  my  childhood,  it  was  good,  it  had  it’s  ups  and  downs.  As  for  me,  well,  I  was  certainly  no  angel.  I  pushed  my  parents  to  the  limit,  and  beyond.  Something,  that  in  later  years  I  live  to  regret,  but  at  the  time  is  of  little  or  no  concern  to  you. Now,  there  are  good  parents  and  bad,  and  the  same  can  be  said  for  children,  I  do  not  of  course  have  to say  which  category  I  fitted  into.  Buy  thankfully  my  father  had  a  strong  will  and  did  not  back  down,  as  time  went  on  this  of  course,  became  (painfully)  obvious.  Something  that  at  the  time  was  misunderstood  by  me,  but  something  that  I  am  now  thankful  for,  as  it  made  me  who  I  became.  Something  that  I  was  never  given  the  opportunity  to  say  to  my  father,  something  that  still  pains  me.  As  I  grew  older  I  of  course  was  of  the  opinion  that  my  father  hated  me,  a  misconception  however,  one  that  was  to  become  untrue,  as  my  father  lay  dying.

 

    I  was  raised  at  a  time  when  belting  children  was  acceptable,  and  boy  did  I  receive  plenty,  or  what,  If  you  were  mischievous  then  you  were  made  to  pay,  and  then  some.  Even  the  local  policemen  joined  in,  this  was  at  a  time  when  they  still  pounded  the  beat  on  foot.  If  they  caught  you,  which,  was  more  often  than  not,  you  would  receive  a  clip  round  the  ear,  or  a  hefty  boot  in  the  backside,  depending  on  the  severity  of  your  offence.  But  despite  all  of  this,  the  world  is  yours,  my  father  was  a  miner  in  a  coalmine  which  we  lived  next  to.  (Greatest  playground  in  the  world)  But  as  with  everything  in  life  you  get  older  and  things  change.  And  as  always,  you  were  never  aware  of  the  lessons  that  your  parents  were  teaching  you  until  it  is  too  late.  You  never  appreciate  what  they  went  through,  until  you  have  children  of  your  own.  I  will  eternally  be  grateful  to  my  parents  for  the  sacrifices  that  were  made  in  the  name  of  parenthood.



    So,  then  comes  the  time  for  my  transition  from  husband  to  father.  Every  father  or  almost  every  father  earns  the  distinction  of  being  the  greatest  father  in  the  world.  This  distinction  is  bestowed  upon  him  by  his  children,  and  is  obviously  well  deserved. But  the  road  to  earning  this  distinction  is  a  long  and  rocky  one.  I,  like  most  fathers,  have  always  and  even  today,  put  my  wife  and  children  first.  People  talk  about  sacrifices,  when  my  children  were  young  I  too  made  sacrifices,  but  sometimes  this  was  not  enough.  When  you  have  to  sit  and  watch  your  children  suffer  without  the  things  that  you  are  meant  to  provide,  that  is  a  pain  that  cannot  be  put  into  words.  Then  you  find  yourself  left  with  the  unthinkable,  having  to  do  things  that  you  would  never  have  considered  before,  all  in  the  name  of  parenthood.  When  you  do  you  don’t  even  give  it  a  second  thought,  what  your  family  is  entitled  to,  they  get,  no  matter  at  what  cost;

 

    Then  your  children  grow  up,  they  fly  the  coup,  this  is  a  time  of  mixed  emotions.  They  are  going  on  the  same  journey  that  you  took,  you  want  them  to  do  well,  but  along  with  their  departure  comes  something  else,  emptiness.  Then  along  come  the  grandchildren,  the  void  is  filled  once  again.  You  have  raised  your  children  to  the  best  of  your  ability,  you  hope  that  you  have  done  right  by  them.  You  look  at  your  grandchildren,  you  try  to  pass  on  some  of  the  knowledge  that  you  have  gained  over  the  years.  This  is  all  good  until  they  reach  adolescence,  (then  they  know  better  than  you).



    Time  goes  on  and  you  find  that  your  ability  to  do  things,  slowly  begins  to  be  taken  from  you.  Things  that  you  took  for  granted,  being  slowly  stripped  from  you.  Life  is  a  challenge, or  at  least  that  is  how  I  have  always  looked  on  it.  Things  that  I  have  achieved,  obstacles  that  I  have  overcome,  things  that  I  am  proud  of  and  some  that  I  am  not,  but  were  necessary.  All  of  these  things  will  amount  to  nothing  as  I  pass,  my  children  will  remember,  but  all  these  achievements  will  pass  with  me,  after  all  I  am  only  a  father.  On  top  of  that  I  now  have  become  a  used  to  man,  I  remember  when  I  used  to  do  that,  or  this  etc.

 

    I  cast  my  mind  back  to  a  time  when  I  would  listen  to  older  men’s  conversations,  when  they  would  say,  “Yes,  I used  to  do  that.”  Not  realising  how  much  that  statement  meant,  or  how  much  it  hurt  to  say  it,  but  now  I  do.  Alas  time  only  goes  forward  and  not  back:  So  you  continue  on,  the  journey  is  not  over  yet.  You  find  things  to  occupy  yourself,  (trying  desperately  to  avoid  the  shops).  I  go  back  to  my  writing  meekly  hoping  along  with  thousands  of  others  that  I  might  have  something  to  offer  the  world  of  storytelling.  A  world  that  is  fiercely  competitive,  but  one  that  is  not  impenetrable,  one  that  you  hope  will  not  be  taken  from  you,  one  that  you  hope  you  can  succeed  in,  one  that  will  make  your  journey,  a  journey  that  you  can  be  proud  of. 









    There  will  be  other  versions  out  there,  everyone  has  that  one  thing  that  they  strive  for,  this  is  only  my  version.  As  I  sit  here,  I  have  no  regrets,  I  would  do  it  all  over  again,  I  am  proud  of  what  I  have  overcome,  along  with  the  lessons  gained  in  the  name  of  parenthood,  proud  to  be  called  Father,  a  distinction  that  I  fought  for,  and  earned,  with  blood  sweat  and  tears.



                                                                                END























STORYMAN1         

© Copyright 2011 Storyman1 (storyman1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1759002-LIFE