*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761644-If-These-Walls-Could-Talk-Chapter-3
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #1761644
The third chapter in my first novel


CHAPTER 3
THE CONFINEMENT

 

    Louisa stood staring out the bedroom window watching as the rain came down in torrents, and the wind blew the limbs of the huge magnolia tree so that the blossoms fell to where they would cover the ground like snow after the storm had passed.  It was a gray, dreary day to match her mood.  She was very happy about the coming baby, as she had been for all of her children, but this confinement had seemed so much longer, more difficult.  She was carrying this baby with a lot of extra weight and no matter what she ate, or how much exercise she included in her day, she was growing bigger, seemingly by the hour.  That alone did not explain her melancholy disposition nor did the stormy weather.  Louisa sighed moving away from the window and pulling her rocking chair closer to the fireplace, she picked up the baby dress she was hemming.  The new baby would have a large layette, considering that since the Grand Opening of the second store, Louisa had spent many of her days as she was at this moment, rocking, and sewing.  Well, at least the fire was cheerful and the sounds coming from the nursery down the hallway were as well.

Laughter, loud bumps, chairs scraping against hardwood floors; these were welcome noises considering just a few minutes ago it was a shout and the sound of tears that had disturbed Louisa from her sewing, sending her to the window.    Louisa did not know how she would have managed without Lucy, the children’s nursemaid.

Calling out for her now, Louisa hated to disturb the busy nursemaid.  “Lucy, could you bring the children to me for a while.” 

There were two in school now, Grace who was eight, and Billy close behind her at seven.  That left five-year-old Josh and Katrina almost three at home, still a handful, even for someone as well trained as Lucy.  Now there would be a new baby and even more work.

Lucy entered the bedroom holding the hands of the two little ones saying, “Now Mrs. Edwards.  You know these two are more than a handful for you.” 

Louisa smiled back at her replying, “I know how rambunctious they are, but I need some time with them.”

“Yes Mrs. Edwards, of course.  I will go help cook with the laundry and let you have some time alone with them.  If you need me you just call me.” 

“Come children, and sit with Mother for a while.”  Katrina took her Mother’s hand and sat at her feet, while Joshua went to look out the window.

“Mother it is still raining.”  Joshua was a precocious but adorable little boy and the apple of his Mother’s eye.  Louisa lifted Katrina up to her lap and motioned for the little boy to join her.

“Hand Mother that book darling and I will read to you.” 

Thusly the afternoon sped by until Lucy came back and took a now sleeping Katrina from her mother and led Joshua out of his parent’s room.  “Now you get some rest Mrs. Edwards.  You have a long night ahead.” 

Louisa responded simply saying, “Yes Lucy and thank you so much.” 

Looking around her bedroom, Louisa decided that she really needed to redecorate as soon as possible.  The ceiling to floor windows needed new draperies and if she was going to update these, she would certainly have to recover the window seats at the same time.  She would speak to the handyman, Joe, as soon as her confinement was over, until then, it would at least give her something to think about and occupy her time.  There would be decisions to be made about the crown molding, which may or may not need to be replaced, or maybe just painted.  Louisa smiled to herself.  If Jackson would agree, she might even purchase new furniture.  Through the store they could acquire one of the new four-poster beds and a vanity, all at an advantageous price. 

A quiet knock on her bedroom door disturbed Louisa out of her musings.  It was Estelle, the housemaid, and another of the family’s trusted servants.  As the housemaid, she took care of everyone and everything, except the kitchen of course, which was the cook’s domain.

“Are you ready to inspect the dining room now Mrs. Edwards?” the maid asked. 

“Yes, as ready as I ever will be Estelle.  Let’s go on down, although I am certain it is lovely and just what I asked for.”  Louisa followed Estelle down the wide staircase that led to the parlor and then into the dining room.  There too a fire blazed and cast a warm glow on the magnificent table that had been laid for tonight’s dinner and took up a large part of the room.  Candlelight reflected off the edges of the gold-rimmed china and there was a clear sparkle on the crystal goblets.  Louisa adjusted a piece of silver, turned the flowers just a bit, and nodding to Estelle, gave her seal of approval to the outstanding setting that had been created.

“This is marvelous Estelle, simply beautiful job.” 

Estelle was happy to please her mistress. “I know just how you and Mr. Edwards like your tables set and I thought the flowers were the right color, and they smelled so nice.” 

Louisa excused her maid saying, “Thank you Estelle, that will be all for now.”

She walked around the table once more alone.  It was dinner parties such as this one that helped Louisa keep her sanity during her confinement, giving her something to look forward to.  Tonight would be a small, intimate group, to include the Paces, the town’s resident millionaires, and John Williams, who was actually bringing a special dinner partner.  Recently the Reverend Smiths sister, Teresa, had moved back home to St Charles, taking a position with Dr. Harris.  She had been trained in St. Louis, but knowing the growing need for help of her small but expanding hometown, decided to start her career here.  With one last look around the dining room and seeing all was ready, Louisa started back up the stairway, considering her wardrobe for the dinner party.

The guests arrived and Jackson and Louisa greeted them in the library with glasses of sherry for the women, except for Louisa of course, and a little stronger substance for the men.

“Your home is lovely as usual,” Mrs. Pace spoke in her loud voice. When Mrs. Pace talked she was heard throughout the room and over any other conversation. 

“Thank you Mrs. Pace,” Louisa answered.  “Our housemaid and cook have outdone themselves again.  We are so blessed to have such wonderful and trustworthy help.” 

The ladies and gentlemen continued their conversations in the dining room.  As they socialized the success of the new store was the upper most topics on everyone’s mind.  It was discussed at length, since Mr. Pace, one of the town’s most influential citizens and the largest builder in three communities, had overseen the construction on both Edward’s stores. He was loud as his wife and commanded full attention when he spoke. 

“Jackson, I must say that this new store of yours is a grand success.  The whole town is talking about it and so I trust that means they are shopping there as well?” 

Jackson was pleased at the conversation and sat up a little higher in his chair before he responded.  “Yes sir, Mr. Pace, it has been very busy these past weeks, just what I had hoped for.” 

John spoke up now saying, “Yes indeed.  The doors will be worn out at the rate that the townspeople are going in and out, and from the bundles they are carrying I would agree business must be very good indeed.” 

The ladies talked in hushed voices, allowing the men’s conversation to wash over them.

“I am so pleased for Jackson’s success,” said Louisa. 

“I would say so my dear, and at your own success.”  Mrs. Pace looked pointedly at Louisa’s midsection and smiled. 

All three of the women were elegantly dressed in the latest mode of the day as fashion dictated.  Their dresses were laced up with frills and folderols, the bustles gathered tight and high in back; the bodices cut low revealing creamy white shoulders.  They talked of servants, children and gardens, and much later in the library, while the men shared an after dinner drink, they would whisper about more personal matters, such as Louisa’s pregnancy, while sipping a cup of tea. 

They were an elegant group that entered the dining room, with Louisa leading the way on the arm of Mr. Pace, while Jackson brought in Teresa, who was much impressed with her first visit to their home in many years.

“Louisa, I had forgotten how lovely this house is and you have a definite flair for decorating.  I just love what you have done in the parlor and this dining room; well it is nothing but elegance itself!”

This was all said breathlessly by Teresa, who was still a little uncomfortable by all the changes that had taken place while she had been gone.


Not unlike their elegant home, Louisa and Jackson was a very striking couple, both not only extremely attractive, but in their success, carried themselves with a dignity that few young people could.  Louisa’s strawberry blonde hair was done into a captive style called “cat and mouse” that had become popular that year, and her hazel eyes glowed with vibrancy and happiness.  Jackson too exuded that same glow of success, and health, for although he was of slight build and weight, his work at the two stores kept him in good shape.  He wore his dark hair slightly longer then most men of that time, and had a particularly irritating piece in front that tended to hang over his right eye.  All in all a handsome couple who were often envied and mimicked within their social world.

For a while the sound of silver clinking against china and ice hitting the sides of crystal mingled with light conversation and laughter.

After the last bite had been consumed and desert cleared by Estelle, tea was served to the ladies now free to adjourn to the library.  The conversation turned to delicate subjects that they wouldn’t dare discuss in front of the men.

“My dear,” Mrs. Pace began.  “You have grown quite large these past weeks.  Just how are you managing, what with all your other duties and household chores?”

Since Louisa had not been out socially since the Grand Opening; her friends were astounded to see how large she had grown.  Mrs. Pace had born four children of her own and was concerned that Louisa was further along then even the good Doctor Harris had discerned.

Louisa smiled graciously at her friend.  “I am doing very well indeed.  I have never put on so much weight with my other children, but I am not as uncomfortable as I may look.”

Being a modern nurse, Teresa laughed and suggested twins.  The idea was not as farfetched as it might have seemed.  Twins were born every other generation in Jackson’s family.

She spoke up firmly.  “You know the chances are very good that you are carrying two children Louisa.  I have seen it before.”


The women talked on about the intimate details of childbirth and the female body until the men decided to join them.  The discussion then turned to more mundane topics, such as the Christmas rush that even in early fall was not too far away to think about. The Edwards Emporium 2 was doing a fair business, as good as anyone had dared hoped for and the first store continued to do well.  Mr. Pace had made his own fortune in this small town and was pleased to see this young man and his dreams thrive.

“I have some exciting new items to promote this winter, just in time for the holiday rush.”  Jackson turned to John and said, “I just ordered that hunting rifle that you were interested in.”

Mrs. Pace cut in with, “Guns, guns, and more guns.  I do believe that Mr. Pace thinks of nothing else these days; guns and war.”

The men laughed at the older woman’s comment.  “Now Mrs. Pace,” said John.  He talks about politics too, does he not?”

The table exploded with laughter.  Everyone knew that Mr. Pace’s involvement with local politics meant as much to him as Mrs. Pace’s love of charity work.

As the evening came to a close the party gathered in the parlor and as they were saying their good-byes, all the guests eyed the beautiful wood work in the home; the hand carved banisters, the magnificent inlaid hardwood floors, and the detailed stain glass windows of the front hall and the massive front doors.

Louisa now closed these doors against the chilly damp night air and breathed a contented sigh.  “Jackson, I am exhausted.  I think I will go on up to bed now.  Will you check the lights and doors?”  Kissing him lightly she moved slowly up the stairs one by one.

“Certainly Louisa; you look tired.  You have done a splendid job once again of entertaining and I could not be more proud.  Go on up and I will be up soon.”


It had been a very satisfactory evening for both her and Jackson, who was pleased not only with his wife, but how his home had shone like a flawless diamond in a unique setting.  Sighing deeply, Jackson thought now of the days to come.  A new store, a new child, so much happiness; he was indeed a wealthy man.  “Thank you God,” he whispered quietly as he locked the massive front door.
© Copyright 2011 Diamondwriter (diamondwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761644-If-These-Walls-Could-Talk-Chapter-3