*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762396-The-Royals
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1762396
Self-preservation, confusion, disbelief, and the paranormal.
    Grey tangles of brittle hair fell in floods over the naked shoulders of the High Priestess. She knelt in the grass, allowing the moist dew to sink into her already pruned flesh, and held her arms high above her head. A steady stream of inaudible prayers were forcing themselves out of her blistered lips and at times they would spring out with such a force as to almost throw her completely unto her back. Only a few feet away, watching from the shelter of the porch, her coven trembled in anticipation. For three days each of the seven had tried to wrench her from her meditation, but they were met with a fierce struggle that could not be overcome without completely stripping the elder of her dignity.
    Amara was leaning against the rusted railing, glaring wildly towards the clearing. "What's to be done about all of this? Eighty-five years of age, sitting about in the rain without so much as a robe to protect her? She'll die. Do any of you understand that?" Her grieving grey eyes fell accusingly upon her family. "Make her come inside!"
    "And what do you suggest? Should I toss her over my shoulder like a child? You know she can't be stopped." Ivan refused to be blamed for the nonsense that was taking place. He put his dark trembling hands over his face and moaned heavily. "Tell us what to do and it will be done, Amara! It's you that will be taking her place, become our mother and teacher. We will follow you."
    There was a hurried agreement from the others, consisting of desperate nods and pleading glances. Amara clenched her teeth down on her bottom lip until it was swollen and on the verge of bursting open. She had not chosen this role, it had been given to her as a beautiful gift that any of her brothers and sisters would have begged to have. But she was not ready to lead her most beloved's.
    At that moment, the sky came forth with a feverish crash and sent an illumination of lightening bellowing to it's death in the field. The High Priestess rose from her trance and spun on her heels to face the weary audience. A smile of utter understanding and faith had taken root on her parched mouth and she ran to embrace them with the youth of forgotten years. Not a single one of them knew how to react as they were each kissed upon the forehead and cheek.
    She stood in the center, warmth exuding from her body. "Darling daughters and sons, I have received the prophecy." Anxiety turned quickly into confusion and excitement. "Tonight, at exactly 2:46 AM, the Purpose will be ready for her journey here. She will be in the next town over, Windswood, at the cross-roads of Splinter and Hue. Prepare."
© Copyright 2011 Grey Page (speculative at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762396-The-Royals