*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1764678-Reflection-of-Confusion
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mystery · #1764678
The reflection of a woman who's standing at death's door and attempting to understand why.
Lying on the table with her arms stretched out above her head like an, oh so ironic symbol of victory she awoke from her pain induced slumber. A sharp throbbing now punished her as it beat the back of her head mercilessly. She had no idea of where she was...all she remembered was the tugging of an arm on her own, as a large, bald individual with an incredible and overpowering strength dragged her into a side street. An evil, sick smile gleamed on the man’s face as he swung her round and in a silky, velvety voice he simply said “Come with me”.

She was always told not to trust strangers so she hooked her finger through the hooped earring decorating the figures right ear and she viciously pulled hard ripping the lobe and providing her the chance to escape as the figure yelped in pain like a scolded dog. All she recalled was sprinting as fast as her feet would allow and the echoes of passersby screaming “Thief, thief, stop her!” Before a heavy thud, as something heavy cracked the back of her head stopping her in her tracks, before she collapsed to the ground in blinding pain dropping the man’s earring and watching the hooped shape skitter away into a nearby grate.

Rolling her eyes backwards in an effort to remember more, she heard the rhythmic marching from outside her small enclosed room which steadily grew closer and faster; her heart rate thundered inside her chest with each footstep as fear engulfed her and the throbbing in her head grew ever sharper. The door behind her burst open and she once again found herself retreating into unconsciousness as the scene faded out of view.....perhaps forever.

288/300 word count limit.
© Copyright 2011 S. White (mindshatter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1764678-Reflection-of-Confusion