*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766901-Z-for-Zachariah
Rated: E · Review · Educational · #1766901
This is a review on the book Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brian.
A character in the text Z For Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien i found intresting is Ann Burden.

Ann Burden a sixteen year old girl is forced to put her survival skills into action after the devastation of an atomic bomb.

A strange man arrives in Burden Valley and Ann struggles with the idea of running down to meet him. "I wanted to run down the hill.... I wanted to cry and touch his face, but i caught myself in time and stayed quiet."

I find Ann interesting because she shows knowledge and common sense in her daily routine of life, she shows survival skills by writing in her diary to keep track of the days, time and things she has completed. Also when she rereads what she has written she said "...It feels like some one is talking back to me."

She intelligently spaced the crops out in time, so they would not all grow and flourish at the same moment.

The strange man bathes in a contaiminated river and grows ill. Ann decides to help the man as he is to ill and delerious to help himself. She learns the mans name is John Loomis.

Another intresting point about Ann is: She is very compassionate and loving. Admist the danger that could come upon Ann by nursing Loomis back to health she still helps him.

As Loomis gets better he suffers hallucinations and dreams about a past evil deed.

As Loomis' deed unravels Ann begins to see a different side to him, but she faithfully stays by his side through it all.

As Loomis grows stronger and stronger, Ann has dreams of growing up and getting married, but those dreams are soon shattered when Mr Loomis makes unwanted advances on Ann.

Ann is a very interesting character because although all that Ann went through, her family and neighbours looking for survivors and never returning, a mysterious and unexpected visitor and having to learn all the survival skills needed, she conjures up ways to stay sane and ready. Ann finaly devises a plan to steal Loomis' safe suit and escape to another place and valley with survivors.

I admire Ann for all of these things that happend and yet she was still able to stay calm.
© Copyright 2011 Danielle (danielle.s at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766901-Z-for-Zachariah