*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767043-I-dont-waste-time-in-traffic
by nimwia
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1767043
keeping buzy on the road
I spend a lot of my time in my car running errands, going to and from work and school. I know it can make us all angry when we see people in their car, on the phone, eating, putting on makeup, and hesitating for more that one second when the stop light turns green.
I have 3 kids, a job, a house, a dog and 2 cats. I am guilty of holding up at the stop light for a few seconds, when a horn blows distracting me from the business I conduct in my car. Hey, every second counts for me too, but 5 seconds isn’t going to make me that late. Most of the time people drive 2-5 miles over the speed limit anyway, so the time can be caught up.
I do a lot in my car, waiting at red lights, in the parking lot of the school while I pick up the kids and stuck in traffic. First, it keeps me busy and controls my road rage. If traffic is stopped swearing, yelling beating the horn really isn’t going to do any thing. Second I can get some things done and out of the way.
It’s best to plan ahead if possible, keep a basket or bag that all the “to dos” can go in. I add to it as I run across them. Keep a note book and a couple pens and pencils in it.
My favorite thing is to clean up the car, it’s always a mess because of all the time spent in it going to work and running kids around. Keep a bag for trash and one for the items that need to go back into the house. A lot of clean up can be done at a stop light, and if someone behind you blows their horn you know the light has tuned green, but your car is clean.
I Enter the collection of receipts, (the ones I were going to “do later”), in the checkbook. It only takes a few seconds to write them in and at the next light I can do the math.
If I am lucky and get to school early to pick up the kids, I use that time to make some phone calls. I conducted a billing dispute in 10 minutes. It was a medical claim and I gave them all the info from the bills I had put in my “to do” bag. I got that claim covered and saved myself $258.00.
A 30 minute traffic jam can seem like hours. I keep magazines or a book in my car. It makes the time go by faster and I actually get to do something I enjoy. Word puzzles keep the mind off the hold up too.
Multitasking in the car is a great way to save time, be productive and keep from cursing out people that are stuck in traffic; they have no control over keeping the flow going. Let’s face it things happen and we just have to do the best we can with them and if we can do the things we have to do any way, we’ll feel good. I don’t waste my time sitting in traffic.

© Copyright 2011 nimwia (nimwia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767043-I-dont-waste-time-in-traffic