*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767192-You-cannot-counter-death
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1767192
Decided to write a short prose. 4 yrs to go till I get my driving license! Hope u like dis
The car swished through the wet lanes of Noida under the light of anything but the crescent moon. And the driver sitting inside slid open the door glass and let the drizzle exhilarate his mood. Smiling, as the car drifted along, the man tuned the radio on. Preceded by some crackling noises, the latest and the finest of the songs started to play, as if it had read the mood of the very listener. Involuntarily he started to hum along the beats. He never expected the journey to be so enjoyable. The air of that night made him wish he was not alone.
Just a few moments later the cellphone gave the man a start when it started to ring. The car screeched and went out of control. He kicked the brakes. The car screeched louder and started to drift sideways. Shaking in trepidation he kicked the brakes harder, but that did not help. The car had started swirling. He screamed. He felt half the car go off the road. Another car passed nearby. His car screeched harder. He heard the engine of a truck nearing him. Death came close but it missed and whisked ahead. He made another attempt on the brakes. The car went backwards, hit the divider and finally came to a halt. For a few moments he stared on the steering wheel in disbelief. Then he opened the door, gasping for breath. And his heart was still racing, but there was no way he could put brakes on that.
The cell phone was still ringing.
He checked the time : 12.35. Who the hell is calling now?
He took some more of the open air in long, deep breaths and drew out his cellphone. “Aniruddho Karak calling”, said the phone. He felt like banging his head on the hood.
“Hello?”
“Hey Vibhav, are ya all right? You took some time to pick up the cellphone.”
“I am absolutely fine. Just missed hitting a fully loaded Truck.”
“Cool, man!! Never heard of that outside James Bond movies! How was it like?!?!”
“Oh, it was fun. Could have passed away under its tyres.”
“That wouldn't have been nice.”
“Yeah, of course not”
“Kay man, gotta go. Bye”
“Bye??? Ah, yes. Bye! Bye! Good night, sweet dreams. Bye!” he said. At least this gave something to him to smile.
The rain had stopped. Far off, a dog was wailing, as if announcing something. Vibhav still had a bad feeling running through his mind. And he felt a surge of adrenaline. Maybe it was because of the murkiness.
He went back inside the car and revved the engine, but he realised that his engine was not the only one which made sound. He furrowed his brows and cocked his head. He looked up through the windshield. Another truck was speeding towards him. The sound got louder. He fidgeted on his seat. The sound was deafening. He pressed the accelerator. But only the tyres moved, the car stood still.
“NOO!!” he shrieked. He pushed the accelerator harder. But it was too late.
© Copyright 2011 Parishrut Pandey (parishrut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1767192-You-cannot-counter-death