*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769102-self-reflection-essay
by geri
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #1769102
excerpt of an essay written as the final activity of my creative writing class
I am saying ‘from the heart’ because I write from experience. I have proved that I can work well with personal experiences as my material. Words just flow naturally if I write about what have happened to me. I like writing using the first person point of view, I don’t know why, I just like being very personal when I’m writing. I want to be understood, and I want to establish a connection between me, as the writer, with my readers. It makes me feel good to know that my writing can bring about a reaction from the ones who have read it, much more if they give me praises.



Writing is difficult, creative writing is a STRUGGLE, it’s different if you have to write creatively, there’s much more pressure, you have to make use of your meager stock of words, yet they should yield a crafty piece of literature. Only a few people are able to manipulate words into becoming a beautiful piece of art, and I am hoping that someday (in the far-flung future) I can make one…but I still have a lot to learn, I’m not that confident with my writing, I still have to develop a singular and personal style in writing and I have to perfect it. Much is yet to be done…



I have yet to learn a lot of things, especially in writing technical papers; I’m terrible with these kinds of papers. Fiction-wise, I think I have improved much. I have long been trying to write short stories since I was in third grade; I just love to write short stories. I don’t know why, perhaps it’s because I didn’t play with the other kids that often, and writing became my friend. It also helps that I use writing as an outlet every time I am angry or I am depressed with the status quo of my existence. Writing just needs practice.



Recently, my friend gave me a pretty journal. At first, I was afraid to write on it because it was too pretty, I didn’t want to damage it with mu ugly handwrieting, but as I read Kristine Bersola-Babao’s article on the newspaper that she keeps four journals, aside from her electronic one, I was inspired. I need not to be afraid. I need to write, write, write, and WRITE…



Reading also helps a lot. When I am faced with a writer’s block, I turn to reading. It inspires me and perhaps gives me ideas on what to write. You need to be a good reader for you to be a good writer.



I personally think that I am improving as a writer. I think the constructive criticisms during our sessions also help because I learn from the comments of others. I used to be afraid of criticisms; I didn’t want to be “criticized”, I have always thought that it’s too embarrassing or to demeaning and intimidating, but now I see the wisdom behind the opinions of others.

© Copyright 2011 geri (msgeri at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1769102-self-reflection-essay