*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770053-FLOODED-BULLY
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1770053
Contest Entry for Dialogue 500 regarding bullying
"Hey Karen, nice backpack! Hey Timmy, found out who your daddy is yet?"
"Leave us alone Sally!" Karen shouted back.
"Awe, what's wrong are your feelings hurt."
"Shut up Mindy!" Karen turned and pulled Timmy away from the insults.
"That's right, go and run to your mommies like always. And while you're at it Karen, why don't you ask her to take you back to goodwill to find some clothes that fit!"
"Dang, Mindy that was harsh, but funny as hell," Sally applauded.

------------------------------


"What's wrong Karen? Why are you crying?"
"Everybody has it better than me: better clothes, better shoes, even better backpacks."
"You know your father and I are doing everything we can around here, but money is just tight right now. You might not have the best of things but you have what you need, don't you?"
"Yes. I'm sorry mom."
"Don't be sorry. I know it can be tough growing up. Go and wash up. I've made your favorite soup for dinner. After dinner we can watch some tv, ok?"
"Yes, mom."

------------------------------


"And that was Celine Robertson reporting from Corral's Cafe. Now to Juan Gomez with breaking news. Juan what's going on with the weather?"
"Thanks Patricia, we have a serious flash flood watch in effect for a large portion of our viewing area.  This flash flood watch is not to be taken lightly since the ground is already saturated with the rains we've had all throughout the week, not to mention the increased water levels we have in our main rivers and streams."
"Juan. . . Juan can you hear me?"
"Yes Patricia, I can."
"Juan, when is the rain expected to come to our area?"
"Well, if the wind continues at it's pace, it could be as soon as one to two hours. But the wind has been very unpredictable; nevertheless, it is apparent that the rain will reach the area tonight. To be safe, people in flood zones or in lower areas need to get to higher ground."
"Okay, thank you Juan for that breaking news, we will have more on that in a
moment."

------------------------------


"Wow, mom what do we need to do?"
"We are fine, we don't live near any rivers or flood zones, we are very high up."
"That's good, but I feel sorry for all of the other people."

------------------------------


"A lot of people are absent; where is everybody, Timmy?"
"Well, last night's storm ruined a lot of homes, especially the homes on the riverbank."
"But those are the big and expensive houses!"
"I know. Mindy and Sally lived in those homes."
"What!?"
"Yep, now they have nothing but a house full of water and mold. I even heard that the roof came off of Mindy's house, but I'm not sure about that."
"That's horrible!"
"Horrible!? After all the harrassment and mean stuff they do to us and you say, "that's horrible." I can't believe you!  When I heard it, I was grinning ear to ear."
"You shouldn't be like that.  I know what it is like to lose everything and to be without. I wouldn't wish it upon anybody, not even my worst enemy. I'm going to help them in any way I can. You should too. It's just the right thing to do."

Word Count: 541

© Copyright 2011 Itchy Water~fictionandverse (deannarich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770053-FLOODED-BULLY