*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770126-Your-Name-Here
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Young Adult · #1770126
3-act play designed for a black box theatre. A young girl's quest to find herself.
Dearest Reader:

Think of this as a very, very rough draft. I'm aware that there are many kinks to work out in this play, and am working on them. I'm also aware that the first two acts drag on a tad, but in my opinion the third act makes it all worthwhile. I would like to hear your honest opinion, no matter what it may be. Don't spare my feelings at all. Thank you very much in advance for reading.

-Chandler Harp

Your Name Here

The girl goes by many different names throughout the play. They can be random; the ones in here are just suggestions. The name she finds at the end to be her own should be the name of the actress who plays her. She wears elaborate dresses or other colorful clothing, but all the other characters should be dressed in all black or wearing jeans and dark shirts. There is no set, all props should be mimed. The girl’s soul wears all white, preferably a dress. The soul’s house can be like a prison, clearly separated from the rest of the stage, or like a pit, lower than the rest of the stage. The only lighting is a spot light on the girl, wherever she travels across the stage, and a soft candle-like light or blue light on the soul’s house.

Act I: The First Few Flips
Play begins with the girl in her soul’s house. The two may be miming playing cards, braiding each other’s hair, or something else that looks like they’re just trying to pass the time. The girl’s tone is very nervous and anxious as she is speaking, while the soul remains unemotional and nonchalant. The girl continuously becomes more agitated and restless as the scene progresses.

Girl: Will anybody look for me here?
Soul: I don’t know.
Girl: (Sigh) I don’t care.
Soul: Oh really?
Girl: Should I?
Soul: Should you what?
Girl: Care.
Soul: I guess not. You don’t want to be found.
Girl: I know but… It would still be nice to know that someone was looking, you know?
Soul: Yeah that would be nice, I guess.
Girl: But how could they search when they don’t know what they’re searching for? I don’t even have a name for them to call in the hopes that I’d hear them and answer them.
Soul: You have a name.
Girl: What is it?
Soul: (Thinks for a moment, then shrugs) I don’t remember.
Girl: See? That’s exactly my point!
Soul: You want a name?
Girl: No! Well, yes. But no!
Soul: I’m confused.
Girl: Everyone else has a name! Why don’t I? Everyone else feels perfectly at ease up there in that beautiful world. Everyone else is happy and carefree, so why can’t I be happy and carefree with them? Why do I have to long for this stupid hell-hole so passionately? (beat) No offense.
Soul: You call my home a stupid hell-hole and I’m not supposed to take offense?
Girl: I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant this isn’t where I belong. This is your home, not mine. I belong out there with everyone else, living. Not down here with you, wasting away.
Soul: You said that last time.
Girl: Did I?
Soul: Yeah. And when you came back you told me that you were wrong and that this really is where you belong.
Girl: Well I was wrong.
Soul: Which time?
Girl: The last time! I should never have come back. I hate it here! Look at them! They’re all so happy! (She gestures toward the rest of the stage with a look of deep longing) I could be happy with them!
Soul: You said that last time.
Girl: Liar.
Soul: Am not! (She gets defensive and angry) You said those exact words the last time you left. You said ‘They’re all so happy and I could be happy with them.’ And when you came back you told me that you were wrong and that the things that make them happy could never make you happy because you’re not like them.
Girl: Well I was wrong!
Soul: Which time?!
Girl: I don’t know! All I know is that I hate this place. I’m leaving and don’t expect me back.
Soul: (Sighs) Whatever. I know you’ll be back.
Girl: I won’t.
Soul: Will too.
Girl: Will not!
Soul: Will too!
Girl: Will not times infinity! Goodbye! Forever!

(She storms off onto the rest of the stage. While she is gone Soul busies herself with cleaning, eating, planting flowers, etc. She occasionally watches when Girl is doing something interesting. A wide spotlight follows Girl onto the stage, revealing several people miming everyday activities such as talking on the phone or to each other as they cross the stage. Everyone seems in a hurry, but very happy. Girl approaches people as they pass her. They don’t pay attention to her.)

Girl: (to several different people, none of whom answer her) Hello! How are you? Hi! What’s up? I like your shoes.
Boy: Hello.
Girl: Are you talking to me?
Boy: Why yes ma’am I am.
Girl: (awkward, nervous) Oh.. well.. Hello, then!
Boy: My name is Edward Thomas Johnson the third. (He extends a hand to her, which she takes hesitantly, in awe of the fact that he is talking to her.) And what might your name be, fair lady?
Girl: Uhh, well, to be honest I don’t really have one.
Boy: Oh, how interesting!
Girl: Is it?
Boy: Indeed it is. Are you new in town, beautiful maiden?
Girl: (flattered and a little nervous) Yes I am actually. I don’t know anyone.
Boy: Would you like me to show you around?
Girl: Well, I, uh. You don’t have to.
Boy: No my dear, I insist. Come, this way. (he leads her slowly across the stage and gestures to many things and people that are not actually on stage. The whole time she is staring at him, dumbfounded). Over there is the market. As you can see Jenna, the baker, is just now putting out a fresh batch of muffins. It is common knowledge that she makes the best muffins in the country. (He waves to her.) And down that street there is city hall. All town meetings take place there.
Abigail: (passes into the spotlight) Hello Edward.
Boy: How are you doing today, Abigail?
Abigail: I am well, thank you. And you?
Boy: I am doing great, thank you for asking. Abigail, I would like you to meet my friend. I’ve been giving her a quick tour of the town. She is new here and does not have any friends yet, so I’ve been showing her around a little.
Abigail: Oh how wonderful! (to girl) My name is Abigail. It is so nice to meet you. (she extends a hand toward girl, who accepts it awkwardly)
Girl: It’s nice to meet you, too.
Abigail: What is your name? (girl hesitates and looks at Edward)
Boy: She does not have one.
Abigail: Oh? How interesting.
Girl: (faintly) Is it?
Abigail: Would you like one?
Girl: Yeah! That’d be awesome!
Abigail: (exchanges a look with Edward) Well, first let us fix that.
Girl: Fix what?
Boy: Your imperfect speech.
Girl: Huh?
Abigail: That is what we mean. ‘Huh’ is not a word.
Girl: Oh.
Boy: ‘Oh’ is not a sentence.
Girl: Oops.
Abigail: (both her and Edward sigh.) We have a lot of work ahead of us.
Boy: I will get Elisabeth and James.
Abigail: That would be very helpful Edward. Thank you.
Boy: It is my pleasure. I will only be a moment. (he exits the light)
Abigail: Let us sit. (she leads girl downstage to the edge where they sit) Do not slouch. Cross your legs. Fold your hands in your lap. Good! We are making progress. Now, repeat after me. Yes, that would be wonderful.
Girl: (awkwardly) Yes, that would be wonderful.
Abigail: Good! Now, how did that feel?
Girl: Weird.
Abigail: Let us try something simpler then. When you approach someone, what do you say?
Girl: Hi?
Abigail: No.
Girl: Hello?
Abigail: Yes, and what else?
Girl: How are you?
Abigail: No.
Girl: How are you doing?
Abigail: Yes! (glances behind her) Oh! They are here. That is simply perfect. Come, meet your new friends. (they stand and walk upstage until the spotlight reveals Edward, Elisabeth, and James.)
James: Hello, Abigail. How are you doing?
Abigail: I am wonderful, James, thank you. How are you doing?
James: I am well, thank you for asking.
Abigail: Hello Elisabeth.
Elisabeth: Hello Abigail.
Abigail: How are you doing?
Elisabeth: I am doing very well, thank you for asking.
Boy: Allow me to introduce you both to my friend; she does not have a name yet. (to girl) This is Elisabeth. And this is James.
Elisabeth: It is such a pleasure to meet you. (shakes her hand)
James: I am James, it is very nice to meet you. (shakes her hand)
Girl: Thanks. It’s nice to meet you guys too. (Elisabeth and James look inquisitively at Abigail and Edward)
Boy: We are aware that her speech is far from perfect. We would like your help with correcting it.
James: We would be honored to help in any way we can.
Elisabeth: Oh yes, let us get started right away. (The four of them gather around her in a circle and start barking orders at her ‘stand up straight’ ‘do not play with your hair’ ‘repeat after me’ etc. When they pull away, girl is standing perfectly straight just as they are, with a polite smile on her face.)
Boy: It is so nice to know that things like that can be fixed fairly easily.
Girl: Indeed. It is nice that I found friends like you all, who were willing to help me.
Abigail: Oh it was our pleasure.
Elisabeth: Yes, we are so happy to have a new friend.
James: You are quite a delightful person now that the speech problem has been corrected.
Boy: Now you need a name.
Girl: Yes.
Boy: (thinks for a moment) Samantha.
Abigail: Samantha. It suits you quite well.
Elisabeth. Indeed it does. Samantha, I love it.
James: I also find that it is a good name for you, Samantha.
Girl: (pauses to think about the name) Samantha. It is positively delightful. I could not have come up with a better name myself. Thank you so much Edward.
Abigail: Well I have other matters to attend to, but it was so wonderful to meet you Samantha.
Girl: Likewise, Abigail. I hope to see you again soon.
Abigail: Indeed. Have a wonderful day.
Girl: You have a wonderful day as well. (Abigail exits)
Elisabeth: We also must depart. I greatly enjoyed meeting you Samantha, and I hope you have a great day.
Girl: I enjoyed meeting you as well Elisabeth. And also you James. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
James: Goodbye Samantha. (Elisabeth and James exit)
Girl: Thank you so much Edward. I truly had a wonderful time meeting your friends. And it is just so pleasant to finally have a name. I can not thank you enough. Thank you. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to ask me.
Boy: You do not need to repay me Samantha, because you already have in a way.
Girl: And how is that?
Boy: Now that your speech has been corrected, I can see what a wonderful person you are, and being with you is reward enough for revealing your true beauty.
Girl: That is very kind of you to say. Thank you. I think you are a wonderful person as well.
Boy: Do you truly mean that?
Girl: I truly do. Did you truly mean what you said to me?
Boy: I truly did. And I truly mean what I say now, that I love you.
Girl: Oh, do you?
Boy: You are special Samantha. There is no one else I would rather be with.
Girl: I am special?
Boy: Yes.
Girl: I love you Edward.
Boy: May I kiss you?
Girl: Yes. (he moves toward her to kiss her when Ashley passes into the spotlight. Edward pauses and addresses her.)
Boy: Hello.
Ashley: Hello.
Boy: My name is Edward Thomas Johnson the third. And what might your name be, fair lady? (he extends a hand to her, which she takes with a polite but confident smile. Girl is slowly backing away as she watches this scene, and as she gets farther away the spotlight moves with her. She is confused at first, and then horrified.)
Ashley: My name is Ashley Hannah Robinson. It is such a pleasure to meet you Edward.
Boy: The pleasure is mine Ashley. You are very beautiful.
Ashley: That is very kind of you. Thank you.
Boy: You are special.
Ashley: I think you are special as well.
Boy: Ashley, I love you.
Ashley: I love you too, Edward.
Boy: May I kiss you?
Ashley: Yes. (when he moves toward her he moves out of the spotlight and girl gasps, then runs to the soul’s house, crying. The soul is confused and pats her awkwardly on the back.)

Soul: What’s wrong?
Girl: My heart! It is broken!
Soul: Your heart?
Girl: Yes!
Soul: What happened?
Girl: I met a wonderful boy. Edward.
Soul: And that broke your heart?
Girl: He told me that he loved me.
Soul: And then your heart broke?
Girl: And I told him that I loved him.
Soul: So how did that break your heart?
Girl: Will you please listen to me? (soul mimes zipping her lips) He asked me if he could kiss me, and I told him that he could. But when he went to kiss me she walked past him. And she was prettier than me and nicer than me and more polite than me and she used better grammar than me and she had a name. So he fell in love with her. And he kissed her instead! He kissed her right in front of me!
Soul: And that’s when your heart broke.
Girl: Yes!
Soul: That seems like a silly reason for your heart to break.
Girl: Silly? You think that it is silly?
Soul: Yes, I do. And why are you talking like that?
Girl: Excuse me?
Soul: Why are you talking like that?
Girl: What am I talking like?
Soul: All proper and stuff. It’s annoying.
Girl: Edward told me I should talk like this.
Soul: Edward?
Girl: The boy!
Soul: Oh, right, the boy. Well cut it out.
Girl: (beat) You’re right. Sorry.
Soul: What else did Edward tell you?
Girl: Well, he gave me a name.
Soul: What was it?
Girl: Samantha.
Soul: (thinks for a moment) Nope. That wasn’t it.
Girl: How do you know that wasn’t it?
Soul: It just doesn’t sound right. Samantha. Nope, that’s definitely not your name.
Girl: (sarcastic) Great. That’s just great.
Soul: There’s no need for sarcasm.
Girl: Shut up.
Soul: Okay, now you’re just being rude.
Girl: I don’t care.
Soul: Is it your heart that’s making you act like this?
Girl: Probably. Do you know the cure for a broken heart?
Soul: Sorry, no. I’ve never had one.
Girl: You’re so lucky.
Soul: Am I?
Girl: Yes. This sucks.
Soul: (thinks) Do you want a band aid?
Girl: A band aid? That’s the best you can do?
Soul: Take it or leave it.
Girl: I’ll leave it.
Soul: Suit yourself.
Girl: Do you think… maybe… someone out there would know the cure for a broken heart?
Soul: Out where? (Girl points towards the rest of the stage.) Oh. Maybe. I don’t know.
Girl: Do you think it’s worth finding out?
Soul: (sigh) I don’t know.
Girl: Well I need to do something. I can’t just sit here and do nothing! What if a broken heart is like cancer? It could spread to other parts of my body and break everything! I’m not gonna wait for that to happen!
Soul: You’re being dramatic.
Girl: Am I?
Soul: Yeah. You are.
Girl: That just proves my point! I can’t think straight with a broken heart!
Soul: Okay, okay, you can go look for the cure if you want to. But just answer one question for me before you leave.
Girl: What?
Soul: Were you wrong?
Girl: About what?
Soul: When you said that you belonged out there and could be happy out there. Were you wrong?
Girl: (beat) Yes. I was.

Girl: (She runs to the rest of the stage without saying anything else. She stands in the middle of the stage and looks around, before yelling:) Does anybody know the cure for a broken heart?
Boy: (passes into the spotlight and stands behind her) I might, sweet thing.
Girl: (Startled) Who are you?
Boy: You can call me Harvey, everyone does. And what’s your name pretty lady?
Girl: Whatever you want it to be.
Boy: Ooh I like your style. Let’s go with Roxie.
Girl: Roxie?
Boy: Do you have a problem with that?
Girl: No.
Boy: Didn’t think so.
Girl: Do you know the cure for a broken heart?
Boy: Sure do. But it’s gonna cost ya.
Girl: How much? (mimes reaching in her pocket for money)
Boy: We’re not talking cash, honey. I like to use the barter system.
Girl: Oh, okay.
Boy: So are you in?
Girl: I’m not really sure what I’m getting into.
Boy: Roxie, baby, don’t you trust me?
Girl: No.
Boy: Well, do you want your broken heart cured or not?
Girl: I do!
Boy: How badly?
Girl: Really badly.
Boy: How far are you willing to go to get it?
Girl: Far. However far it takes. I’ll do anything. Can you really cure me?
Boy: (laughs) Come with me baby girl. (he leads her off the stage, but the spotlight remains in the center of the stage. Two actors enter the spotlight, one can be the actor who plays James and another male actor.)
Friend 1: Damn! You see that chic that Harvey just left with?
Friend 2: Hell yeah man, that girl was fine!
Friend 1: I didn’t catch her name.
Friend 2: Roxie. I hear she knows how to party, if you know what I mean.
Friend 1: Yeah I feel you. I mean, what else would Harvey want with her?
Friend 2: You think he’d give me her digits?
Friend 1: Doesn’t look like it’d be hard for you to get them yourself, man.
Friend 2: I like this girl’s style.
Friend 1: What was her name again?
Friend 2: Roxie.
Friend 1: I’ll have to remember that.
Friend 2: Yeah, you better! (The two exits the spotlight, and girl and boy return.)
Boy: See? That wasn’t so bad, was it?
Girl: (stares at him for a moment. When she speaks her voice holds no emotion) Can you fix my broken heart now? (He shrugs, hands her something, and exits. She looks at what he gave her as she walks slowly back to the soul’s house.)

Soul: So? Did you find the cure for a broken heart?
Girl: Roxie?
Soul: Huh?
Girl: Roxie. Was that my name?
Soul: No, definitely not.
Girl: Oh.
Soul: What happened?
Girl: I met a boy.
Soul: Oh no.
Girl: He told me he knew the cure for a broken heart.
Soul: Did he?
Girl: For a price.
Soul: How much?
Girl: Not money, we bartered.
Soul: Oh. Well did he cure your broken heart?
Girl: He gave me something.
Soul: What did he give you? (girl hands it to the soul, who looks at it and laughs) A band aid? He gave you a band aid?
Girl: Quit laughing and help me put it on.
Soul: Okay, okay, I’m sorry. (She puts the band aid over the girl’s heart) There. Do you feel better now?
Girl: (laughs) I feel great!
Soul: That’s great!
Girl: I feel just perfect.
Soul: That’s perfect.
Girl: I have another story for you.
Soul: Ooh! You know how much I love your stories.
Girl: I know, I know. Okay, so there was this girl, right?
Soul: Right.
Girl: And she lived in a hole. (or prison, depending on how the stage is set up.)
Soul: What?
Girl: And one day, she decided she wanted to get out of the hole and see the outside world.
Soul: Oh dear.
Girl: (girl tells her story with the emotions she was feeling when it happened to her) Will you cut that out? (soul slowly mimes zipping her lips) Thank you, now where was I? Oh yeah. So she wanted to see the outside world, right? (soul nods) So she does, and she meets a really great guy who falls in love with her. And she falls in love with him too. But then, he meets another girl, who was better than the first girl. I mean, like, better at everything. And he falls in love with her instead. And the girl’s heart is broken. But she doesn’t know how to fix it! So she asks another guy what the cure for a broken heart is. And he makes her… Well, he tells her that it comes at a price. But not like money, they bartered. And then he gave her the cure for a broken heart. And guess what it was!
Soul: A band aid?
Girl: Yeah! How did you know?
Soul: Lucky guess.
Girl: Well, anyways, it was a band aid. How stupid is she?
Soul: Who?
Girl: The girl in the story.
Soul: You realize that’s not a story, right?
Girl: What do you mean?
Soul: I mean, all of that actually happened.
Girl: It did?
Soul: Yeah, it did. To you.
Girl: No way. I would never be that naive.
Soul: Are you kidding?
Girl: About what?
Soul: (sigh) Never mind. I’m just saying. That’s not a story. It really happened. And it happened to you.
Girl: Liar.
Soul: (singsong) Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Girl: (sarcastic) Should I get some sticks and stones then?
Soul: Funny.

Act II: Life on the Inside
The girl and her soul are in the soul’s house and are passing the time like they were at the beginning of the first act. All of the memories, or flashbacks, are acted out by the girl on the stage and flow from one to the next without pause.

Girl: (sighs) Well, I’m officially bored.
Soul: You get bored so easily.
Girl: I know, I know. Maybe that’s why I keep leaving.
Soul: Maybe. (pause) You’re not gonna leave again now are you?
Girl: No way. I am so sick of the outside world.
Soul: Why?
Girl: Think about it. Every time I go out there I come back here crying. And before I found this place it was even worse. I didn’t have anywhere safe to go to cry.
Soul: It wasn’t that bad before you found me.
Girl: It was bad.
Soul: I think you’re being dramatic again.
Girl: Honestly, I’m not. Things sucked when I was a kid. My parents were either screaming at each other or telling me I wasn’t good enough. Things sucked when I was a teenager. My friends could always find something to bitch about. And things sucked when I grew up. Even Jason left me with a broken heart.
Soul: Oh yeah I remember Jason... You’re first love.
Girl: I don’t want to talk about it.
Soul: Fine. But I still think you’re exaggerating how bad everything was.
Girl: Oh really? I remember it all perfectly. See for yourself!

(She walks out onto the rest of the stage and the spotlight reveals two actors, they can be the same actors who played Elisabeth and James in the previous act. The actors are now playing her parents and are clearly in the middle of an argument. Girl sits on the ground behind them, now a small child who is frightened and confused.)

Mom: (screaming) Why do you always make everything out to be my fault?
Dad: (screaming too) Well it’s certainly not my fault you forgot Amanda was allergic to peanuts! Again!
Mom: Well it’s not easy to remember everything when you’re trying to raise five kids and your husband is always at work or on business trips and never ever ever helps out!
Dad: That’s your excuse for everything! That I work too much. Do you think money grows on trees Monica?
Mom: I would rather have some help around here than money!
Dad: You’re the one who wanted a big family, you’re the one who wanted a big house in a nice neighborhood in a good school district, and you’re the one who gets your hair done for 200 dollars every month! I can’t support the lavish lifestyle you’ve chosen and help you out!
Mom: You’re trying to make this my fault again! You’re so mean! I hate you! (She starts crying and runs out of the spotlight. Girl stands and looks after her bewildered.)
Girl: Daddy, why is mommy crying?
Dad: You’re mommy needs help sweetie. (he stalks off in the opposite direction)
Girl: (looks after him, even more confused) Help with what?
(Girl moves to the end of the stage and sits down. The next memory begins.)

Mom: (reenters the spotlight) Hey honey.
Girl: Hi mom, what’s up?
Mom: Oh, nothing. (She tries to sound casual but she’s obviously edgy) So, I got your report card in the mail today.
Girl: That’s cool.
Mom: Do you have any idea what your grades are like?
Girl: Uhmm… I’m pretty sure I have all A’s.
Mom: You do.
Girl: Sweet.
Mom: Except for science.
Girl: Oh?
Mom: You have an eighty-nine.
Girl: Well, it’s just a progress report. I still have nine weeks to bring it up until the end of the semester.
Mom: (getting increasingly angry, by the end she is yelling and right in girl’s face) Do you know how much money I spend on your private school? Too much to be getting these kinds of results! I expect so much more from you! You know why? Because I know that you’re better than this. I worked my butt off in school to make all A’s and I expect you to do the same! How do you plan on getting a good scholarship to college with these grades? Huh? Or do you expect me to pay for that too? Good luck getting in to college if this is the best you can do! And good luck getting a well paying job without a college degree! Do you want to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life? Well then fine, you can go right ahead and make all the eighty nines you want. See if I care!
Girl: I’m sorry mom, it’s just an eighty nine!
Mom: It’s still a B!
Girl: I’ll bring it up okay! Calm down!
Mom: You better! (She storms out of the spotlight. Girl is still in shock briefly, but quickly recovers and walks to the center of the stage. The next memory begins.)

Girl: Hey Brooke! (Brooke can be played by the same actress who plays Abigail in act I)
Brooke: (walks into the spotlight and puts her hands on her hips, pissed) Hey slut.
Girl: Excuse me?
Brooke: You heard me!
Girl: What’s your problem?
Brooke: That guy you went out with last night? I totally saw him first! And you knew that! How dare you, bitch!
Girl: I didn’t see your name on him hoe! It’s not my fault I’m hotter than you and he asked me out instead of you.
Brooke: No way. He probably just heard you were easy. It’s common knowledge you know.
Girl: Or maybe he just heard about all your STD’s! That’s also common knowledge.
Brooke: Excuse me?
Girl: You heard me.
Brooke: That’s it you whore! (She moves to throw a punch and the stage goes black)

(Girl returns to the Soul’s house without the spotlight.)
Girl: So... Was I being dramatic?
Soul: I guess not.
Girl: Told ya so!
Soul: But –
Girl: Oh no...
Soul: You’re dwelling too much on the bad memories and not the good ones.
Girl: How do you know my good memories?
Soul: I’m your soul idiot.
Girl: Oh yeah…
Soul: I remember it all perfectly too. So now it’s your turn to see for yourself! Remember that vacation you took with your parents? To the butterfly garden?

(Girl walks out onto the stage again and the spotlight reveals her parents. They are now happy and she is a little girl again.)
Girl: Mommy! Daddy! Look at all the butterflies!
Mom: I know sweetie, they’re pretty aren’t they?
Girl: This one has stripes! And that one is green! They’re everywhere! (She runs around in the spotlight pointing out the different butterflies she thinks are pretty, ooohing and aaaahing. Her parents laugh and hold hands and smile lovingly at her and each other.) Mommy? Daddy?
Dad: Yes sweetie?
Girl: Can we stay here forever?
Dad: (laughs) No, honey, there is still so much to do! Do you want to go to the petting zoo?
Girl: There’s a petting zoo!?
Mom: Come on! Let’s go!
Girl: Yay! (She runs ahead of her parents and they both laugh. They exit the spotlight and the girl returns alone, older now.)

Soul: (As girl is returning to the spotlight) Remember how proud your parents were when you were the Valedictorian at your high school graduation?
Girl: (giving a speech) So after all the hard work it took to get to this point, I think it is safe to say that we truly deserve this. Congratulations class of 2010, we’re finally graduating! I hope the next bridge you cross is as exciting and rewarding as this one. Good luck and goodnight. (Soul and actors offstage applaud, girl walks downstage left a little, beaming.)
Mom: (enters spotlight) Oh sweetheart! I am so proud of you! You’re speech was amazing!
Girl: Thanks mom!
Mom: I knew you could do it, honey, I just knew it!
Girl: Really?
Mom: Oh, yes, honey! You are so amazing and wonderful and I am just so proud of you!
Girl: I love you mom!
Mom: I love you, too, honey! (Mom exits spotlight and Girl walks downstage and sits on the edge of it.)

Soul: (as girl is walking) And remember Jason?
Boy: (enters spotlight and sits next to girl) It’s so nice out here. We’re so far away from the rest of the world it’s almost as if it doesn’t exist. It’s just you and me.
Girl: (a little speechless) Look at the stars. (both of them look up and are quiet for a beat) Before electric lights they always looked that bright.
Boy: So it’s you, me and the stars then.
Girl: (laughs nervously) I guess so. (beat) I like it like this. Just you, me, and the stars I mean.
Boy: Well I would prefer to have you all to myself, but I guess I can share you with the stars. (She laughs and he looks at her, but she is still looking up) Look at me. (she looks at him) You are so beautiful.
Girl: Really?
Boy: Yeah. And there’s something about you that makes me want to be around you. I can’t explain it.
Girl: (awkwardly) It’s my girlish charm.
Boy: (he laughs) No, but seriously. There’s no one else I would rather be with right now, or ever. You’re special.
Girl: Really?
Boy: Yeah. (beat) I think I love you.
Girl: You think?
Boy: (thinks for a moment) No I know. I love you.
Girl: I love you too.
Boy: Please don’t ever change.
Girl: I won’t.
Boy: Promise me.
Girl: I promise. (he puts his arm around her and moves to kiss her. The stage goes black)

(Girl returns to the souls house in the dark. When she gets there she immediately starts crying.)
Soul: What? What’s wrong now?
Girl: Why is it that no matter how happy a moment is you can’t ever remember the happiness exactly right, but the more painful a memory is the more vividly you feel that pain in the memory?
Soul: What are you talking about? You aren’t making any sense.
Girl: I’ll show you!

(Girl returns to the stage and the spotlight reveals Boy, pissed)
Boy: I don’t know who you are anymore.
Girl: (hysterical, still crying) What are you talking about? Jason! (She tries to reach out to him but he backs away from her.)
Boy: You’ve changed! You’re not the girl I fell in love with, you’re someone else. You’re someone new that I don’t know. I loved you for who you are, so why can’t you just be yourself?
Girl: But I don’t know who I am! So how can you know who I am? How do you know the girl you loved was the real me?
Boy: I can tell.
Girl: Jason, please, I changed but I can change back! Just give me a chance, I can –
Boy: I’m sorry. (He kisses her and walks away. She stares after him, helpless, then turns and runs sobbing back to the soul’s house.)

Girl: (In soul’s house) The night he told me he loved me I remember how happy I was, but I can’t feel that happiness again. I can’t feel the adrenaline rush of my first kiss. I can’t feel the butterflies in my stomach when he told me I was beautiful. But the night he told me he didn’t love me anymore? That’s different. When I remember that night I can feel the stab of pain that went through my chest when I realized he was leaving me. I can feel the wave of shame wash over me when I cried in front of him. I can feel the unbelievable pain of that last kiss even when I’m not thinking about it, like it’s constantly happening. Every time I close my eyes I can see the way his face looked when he said he was sorry and my heart breaks all over again.
Soul: So that’s where all my band aids went…
Girl: It’s not worth it! None of it is worth it! You can say I’m just being dramatic if you want, but the happy memories are nothing compared to the painful ones. I would erase every happy memory I have just to erase one painful memory. Happiness is fleeting, but pain? Pain is forever. (She covers her face and sobs)
Soul: That’s when you came here, the night Jason left you.
Girl: Yes.
Soul: That’s when you lost your name, when you forgot who you were.
Girl: Yes. (they are both quiet for a moment) I was trying so hard to become what Jason wanted that I ended up becoming what anyone else wanted. My mom wanted me to be a perfect student, so I was. My friends wanted me to be the life of the party, so I was. Guys wanted me to be a slut, so I was. I’ve had a thousand different names, and a thousand different personalities but none of them were right. None of them brought Jason back.
Soul: Maybe if you stopped trying to bring him back you would find yourself again. Maybe it wouldn’t be so easy for people to change you if you weren’t trying to change.
Girl: Maybe. But what do you know?
Soul: Yeah, what do I know? I’m just your soul after all.
Girl: (lying down) I’m going to sleep now.
Soul: Good night.

Act III
The girl and her soul are in the soul’s house and are passing the time like they were at the beginning of the previous acts. The girl’s tone is very nervous and anxious as she is speaking, while the soul remains unemotional and nonchalant. The girl continuously becomes more agitated and restless as the scene progresses.

Girl: Do you think anybody cares?
Soul: About what?
Girl: Me!
Soul: What kind of question is that?
Girl: I don’t know. Do you think anybody misses me; misses Samantha, or Roxie, or any of the other mes?
Soul: What do you think?
Girl: Do you think my mom and dad miss me?
Soul: This is getting ridiculous.
Girl: Do you think Jason misses me?
Soul: (beat) What exactly are you asking me?
Girl: I don’t know!
Soul: Well then I can’t help you.
Girl: You know what? I think you can.
Soul: Can what?
Girl: Help me!
Soul: Oh.
Girl: I think you know all the answers to my questions but you won’t tell me.
Soul: That’s an interesting theory.
Girl: Well I bet someone else knows the answers too. Someone out there. (She looks longingly at the rest of the stage, but soul is distracted and doesn’t notice her look.)
Soul: Out where?
Girl: Out there! In the outside world! Look at them! They’re all so happy; they have to know all the answers. And maybe, if they told me the answers, then I would know all the answers too. And maybe, if I knew all the answers, I could be happy with them!
Soul: You said that last time.
Girl: Did I?
Soul: Yepp. You said ‘Look at them! They’re all so happy! I could be happy with them!’ And when you came back you told me you were wrong.
Girl: Well I was wrong.
Soul: Which time?
Girl: The last time! I’m a human being, you know. Humans belong with other humans, not with souls.
Soul: You said that last time.
Girl: I did not!
Soul: Yes. You did.
Girl: I don’t believe you!
Soul: Fine! Don’t believe me!
Girl: Okay! I won’t believe you!
Soul: You can go if you want to, but I know you’ll be back here crying soon enough.
Girl: Don’t bet on it! Don’t bet on me ever coming back!
Soul: You’ll see!
Girl: No! YOU will see!

(She runs out onto the rest of the stage and literally runs into Matt, who can be played by the same actor who plays James in the first act.)
Girl: Oh my god! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?
Matt: Ow! Yeah, I’m fine.
Girl: That was totally my fault. I’m sorry.
Matt: It’s okay, really, don’t worry about it.
Girl: I’m so sorry!
Matt: Stop apologizing. I’m fine. No harm, no foul.
Girl: Huh?
Matt: It’s an expression.
Girl: Oh!
Matt: So, you in a hurry?
Girl: Oh, no, I’m just…
Matt: Just…?
Girl: (Thinks briefly) Just out for a jog.
Matt: Oh. Well, I’m Matt.
Girl: Hi, Matt.
Matt: And what’s your name?
Girl: My name?
Matt: Yes?
Girl: My name is… um… (thinks briefly) Leah?
Matt: Leah?
Girl: Yeah, uh, Leah.
Matt: Well it’s nice to meet you, Leah.
Girl: It’s nice to meet you, too. Really, really nice. You’re not like any guy I’ve ever met before.
Matt: Is that a compliment?
Girl: Trust me. It is.
Matt: Well then, thank you. You’re a pretty strange girl yourself.
Girl: Strange? That doesn’t sound like a compliment.
Matt: Well, at least you’re not boring.
Girl: That’s true.
Matt: So tell me about yourself.
Girl: Tell you? About… myself?
Matt: Yes?
Girl: Uh… um… well…
Matt: (confused as to why this is an issue for her) Or is now not a good time?
Girl: I… uh… we… um…
Matt: I don’t mean to interrupt your jog or anything.
Girl: My what? Oh! Yeah, uh, my jog, right.
Matt: But I would like to get to know you better, maybe we could get together some time?
Girl: Get to know me better?
Matt: Yeah. You seem really… interesting.
Girl: Thank you… I think.
Matt: How about tomorrow afternoon at the coffee shop on the corner there?
Girl: That sounds perfect. Really, really perfect!

(As she is speaking the spotlight widens to reveal Abigail, from the first Act.)
Abigail: Oh! Samantha! It is so wonderful to see you again! How have you been?
Matt: Who’s Samantha?
Girl: Abigail?
Abigail: This is Samantha. Has she not told you her name?
Matt: She told me her name was Leah.
Girl: Abigail I am truly pleased to see you again, and we really must have tea some time, but now is not really the best –
Abigail: Leah? No, the name that Edward gave her was Samantha.
Matt: What do you mean the name he gave her? (to girl) And why are you talking like that?
Girl: Talking like wha— (before she can finish her sentence, friend 2 from the first Act enters the spotlight.)
Friend 2: Roxie! How’s it going, sweet thang!
Matt and Abigail: Who is Roxie?
Girl: Do I know you?
Friend 2: I’m a friend of Harvey’s. Remember him? I hear you like to get down little lady, if you know what I mean.
Abigail: Oh, for heaven’s sake!
Matt: Ew.
Girl: Harvey? Who’s –? Oh! Harvey, right.
Friend 2: So, what do you say to you, me and the back seat of my car?
Abigail: (to friend 2) Young man, you are absolutely disgusting.
Matt: (to girl) Leah, what is he talking about? And why did he call you Roxie?
Girl: It’s kind of a long story, but if you give me a chance I can explain everyth— (before she can finish Mom, from the second Act enters the spotlight)
Mom: Sweetheart? Is that you? Oh! (She hugs girl) How have you been? I haven’t spoken to you since you left for college!
Girl: I’ve been fine, Mom, but now isn’t a good time –
Abigail, Matt, and Friend 2: Mom?
Girl: Oh God.
Mom: Oh and you must be my darling’s friends! How lovely. Did you meet her in med school? What branch of medicine did she go into? Is she a world renowned surgeon?
Abigail: Samantha, I had no idea you were a doctor! How delightful!
Matt: Leah, you haven’t spoken to your mother since high school?
Friend 2: Roxie, baby, your momma is hot.
Girl: Ew!
Mom: Samantha? Leah? Roxie? What is going on? And why did they not know you were a doctor? You are a doctor aren’t you?
Girl: No, I’m not, but if you all would just be quiet for one second I could –
Mom (at the same time): What do you mean you’re not? Who do you think you are? You think just because you got a full scholarship to college you can study whatever you want? That’s not how it works young lady! You are still my daughter. But I don’t even think you’re worthy of that anymore. I have never been so disappointed in anyone in my entire life. What do you have to say for yourself? Huh?
Abigail (at the same time): Samantha, I would just like to take this opportunity to tell you that I would no longer like to be your friend. This boy (gestures to friend 2) is positively and completely revolting and to think that you had anything to do with any of his associates is even more revolting! It does not surprise me in the least that Edward chose Ashley over you. Although we tried to help you, sadly, some people just cannot be helped.
Matt (at the same time): Look, Leah, or whatever your name is. I really thought I wanted to get to know you, but now I’m starting to wonder which you I wanted to get to know! You lied to me about something as stupid as your name. How am I supposed to trust you now? What do you have like multiple personality disorder or something? Cause I don’t get it! Who are you, Leah, or whatever your name is? Do you even know?
Friend 2 (at the same time): Hey, baby, from what I’ve heard about you you’re into some pretty kinky shit. And that mom of yours is seriously on fire! So if you and she ever wanted to get together with me, that would be totally alright, you know what I’m saying? Harvey said you’d do anything for a band aid, which is good because I have a whole lot of those. So the next time you need one, hit me up.
(Girl is trying to talk over all the people yelling at her, and reason with them individually, but no one seems to even notice her efforts. After her mother’s speech is done, Boy enters the spotlight as Jason and girl turns to stare at him.)
Girl: (yelling over everyone) Jason?
Boy: Nicole? (everyone is quiet for a moment when he says her real name.)
Abigail, Matt, Friend 2, and Mom: Who’s Nicole?
Girl: Me. I’m Nicole. That’s my name!
Boy: Uh, yeah, did you forget it?
Girl: Yeah, I forgot a lot of stuff for a long time, but I’m back now.
Boy: That’s good, because I missed you.
Girl: You did?
Boy: Yeah. A lot. Nicole, I could never stop loving you, not for one second.
Girl: Oh, Jason.
Boy: I’m so sorry I left.
Girl: Jason I—You know what? You’re not forgiven.
Boy: What?
Girl: When you told me that I had changed, that I wasn’t the same person anymore, I believed you. You’re the one who took away my name, my identity. You’re the reason I forgot who I was. And until you can magically take back all the years I spent looking for myself, you will not be forgiven.
Boy: Look, I know I messed up, but just give me another chance.
Girl: I probably could give you another chance but I’m not going to. You took everything from me, and I’ve finally got it back after all this time. And you think I’m gonna risk it all on you again? You’re not worth it Jason.
Boy: You need me Nicole!
Girl: See that’s where you’re wrong. I did need you, but not anymore. I know who I am now, and I like it. So I don’t need to talk like you (she points at Abigail) to feel worthy. I don’t need to make you proud of me (she points to her mom) to be proud of myself. I don’t need your stupid band aids (she points to friend 2) because I can get my own. And Jason. I do not need your love to love myself. So you can all just leave! I’m not Samantha, or Roxie, or Leah anymore, and I never will be again. (She waits for them all to go, but no one moves.) Fine! I’ll leave.

(She walks to the edge of the stage and sits down.)
Soul: Hey, Nicole.
Girl: Hey, Soul. I’ll be home in a little while, don’t worry. You were right, I was wrong. You can rub it in later, okay?
Soul: You’re already home.
Girl: What?
Soul: I mean, you’re welcome here if you want to come, but something tells me you won’t be needing my services anymore.
Girl: Oh.
Soul: And Nicole?
Girl: Yeah?
Soul: You were right. I did know all the answers, but me telling you them would have hurt more than helped. All those years you spent looking for yourself, all those painful memories you can’t escape, they weren’t in vain. You know who you are now. I mean you really truly know. If I had explained it to you, you wouldn’t have understood. But you understand now don’t you?
Girl: I think I do. It feels good. I like my name, Nicole.
Soul: It’s a nice name.
Girl: I promise I’ll visit you.
Soul: I’d like that. Goodbye, Nicole.
Girl: Goodbye.
(Matt enters the spotlight and sits down beside her.)
Matt: Hey.
Girl: Hey.
Matt: So, Nicole, right?
Girl: Yeah. Sorry about… everything. I honestly didn’t know my name, so I just made one up, and everyone else, well… it’s a long story.
Matt: You can tell me tomorrow, when we meet for coffee.
Girl: You still want to do that? After… you know.
Matt: I still want to get to know you, Nicole.
Girl: Well, why not now?
Matt: Okay, so tell me about yourself.
Girl: Well…
(The actress begins talking about herself, her hobbies, her favorite color, her pets, etc. as the stage dims to black.)
© Copyright 2011 Chandler Harp (rawrsalot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770126-Your-Name-Here