*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770685-A-friend-of-mine
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1770685
Two teenage girls meet and have an adventure.

The luscious green hills had chalk white edges over their cliff tops. The mediteranean sea down below splashed so softly against the rocks. The sun shone at thirty degrees but there was a breeze through the air that travelled swiftly with a cool sensation.

Mallorie stood at the top of one the hills, close to the edge. She leant over to see the waves at the rocks and dropped a small stone in to them. The tiny plop was unheard and she didnt even see a splash, which disappointed her.
Just as she turned away from the edge a strong gust blew past her and the baby pink cotton shawl she had on unwrapped itself from her arms, and flew over towards a make- shift camp site that was further away from the edge, on the hill.
She ran after it in a hurry, up to the tents, past the barbeques and through the caravans...

"Where the hell has that gone?" She put her hands on her slender hips. "That cost me my hairdryer and five pounds!" She was once again disappointed. "Today's not my day." She hung her head with a shake.

"Is this yours?" Said a girls voice.

Mallorie looked up to see a blond haired blue eyed teenage girl about the same age. Only she was dressed in more modern clothing than Mallorie was.

"Yes that's mine, thank- you."

"I caught it as it blew past me and then i saw you standing there looking a bit miserable." Replied the girl. "Here you go."

"Its my favourite shawl and i only have two anyway."

"Lucky i found it then isn't it." Smiled the girl. "What's your name?"

"Mallorie. What's yours?"

"Geri."

"Isn't that a boys name?" Mallorie said with a cheeky smirk.

"Its a girls name as well." She protested. "Do you live here in those caravans? Are you on holiday?"

"No. I mean, im not on holiday but i do live in those, yeah. Are you on holiday?"

"Yeah. In one of the hotels down the road. We're here for summer; my mum, dad and two brothers. I don't know what there doing, they've left me on my own and we've only been here two days."

"I don't like boys anyway. I've got three brothers and i don't really like them."

The girls laughed together.

"Have you been down to the rock caverns yet? I found some last week when i went exploring." Said Mallorie. "But i didn't go inside, not on my own."

"No i haven't been anywhere yet. Let's go, we might see some fish we could get for dinner."

"That's a good idea because my dad and some others from our family, they go down there sometimes to catch fish and crabs for our dinner, and they get buckets full."

"How long have you been here then?" Asked Geri.

"Only a week but we're going to stay for the summer as well."

"Come on then, you must know the way down, is it safe?"

"Yeah its okay, we'll just walk to the other end of the cliff and follow the track around as it goes down. There's also a little beach there too, but its like a secret because no one goes there." Mallorie wrapped her shawl around her arms and lead the way with her new friend, Geri.

Mallorie was a contrast to Geri. She had long black hair, black eyes and a tall slim figure. She wore a long baby pink cotton dress with sandals and her shawl. Whilst Geri was shorter and a little curvier, with shorter blond hair and blue eyes. She wore a pair of navy blue shorts and a vest top with jelly sandals. 



Down at the caverns below the chalk white cliffs, the girls busied themselves viewing seashells on the golden sand. They each picked some up, looked them over, then threw them back on to the sand.

"How are we supposed to catch fish without a net?" Mallorie asked sarcastically.

"Hadn't thought of that you know. But what about those caverns?" Geri peered at the large grey stoned holes in the cliffs. The sun's glare gave her a distorted view through squinted eyes but she could see that the three holes about seven foot high were pitch black.
"I don't like the look of those i bet there's spiders and bugs and all sorts of horrible things in them."

"Yeah i bet there is." Mallorie quivered. "But where do you think they lead? I mean, they obviously go back right through the hils but they might even stretch so far as the town, under the shops and hotels and houses and things."

"Oh my God, imagine being stuck under there if rocks crumbled against the entrance. We'd never get out and no one would ever know we were there." Imagined Geri.

"If we had a torch we'd be alright, and a picnic to keep us going whilst we explored."

"And a compass and a mobile phone."

"But you'd get no reception under the hills would you?" Said Mallorie.

"That's true." Agreed Geri.

"But don't you think there might be some buried treasure inside?" Asked Mallorie.

"If there was i'm sure it would have been found by fisherman camping out or washed away by the tide when it came in. Because that's the other thing you know. When the tide comes in we'd get swallowed up by the waves and drown. They would fill the whole cavern space."

"Not all the way back through the hills silly, it wouldn't reach that far."

"And how would you know." Wondered Geri.

"I know a secret actually. All about that middle cavern." Mallorie said with pride.

© Copyright 2011 princessrea (princessrea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1770685-A-friend-of-mine