*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772599-The-Grey-Night
by Zee
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1772599
A scary stormy night.
Where do you think you are going leaving me on roads at midnight? I screamed again repeating my question, dad.. where do you think you people are going leaving me on roads? Who is this child and what is he or she whatever it is doing in my hands?

Mom replied in a very relaxed manner, we’re just going to the market dear and shall be back in a while and what’s wrong with you? That child is your nephew, can’t you see?

Adam?? Is that him, I asked utterly baffled? But how did he get so small and how can you guys go to the market at 2 in the night and why am I on the road? There are dirty ugly swines around they are going to kill me and Adam mom.
They didn’t pay a heed to my words and just drove off.  “You have gone crazy girl” were the last words I heard from mom, that were struggling to reach my ears since they had almost reached the end of the lane and the winds were in absolute mood to crack everything that came its way..

2 am, an ugly.. grey night and I was standing on the road with Adam sleeping in my arms. I just looked at him again. This isn’t Adam, he’s too small I mumbled to myself and Adam is two years old and I certainly recognize him. The most beautiful child I had ever seen, his lovely watery brown eyes.. Color, just like a tempting milky white chocolate. Lips softer than the rose petals and perfectly in shape as if God had won some bonus hours to carve them. Tiny yet a sharp nose flawlessly placed between those pulpy pinky cheeks. In simple words, beauty and innocence one can die for.

This isn’t Adam, I repeated just getting out my thoughtful moment and looked around. There was nothing, except for that light pole at the end of that lane with a barely visible light due to a piece of cloth stuck into its broken glass cover. Storm was on its peak, sweeping the mud from one end to another. I just sat there, almost shattered.. The wind probably thought of having a little mercy on me and mellowed down in a while.

Where is my house, what is this place and what the hell am I doing here with this child whom I don’t even know? Calm down, calm down I repeated to myself when I realized that I was actually shouting asking questions I had no answers for, precisely no one else at that moment was around to answer any of my questions except for that child in my arms who was indeed too small to even speak..
I was almost in tears, my eyes gazing restlessly towards the corner of the lane in a hope to see mom and dad driving back, but they didn’t. Couldn’t hold on any more and the tears rolled down my cheeks making my vision hazy and everything around me spinning with a speed that could possibly stir your intestines in less than a minute and bring them out of your nose.

In that stormy wind I broke into sweat, saturated as if I was sitting in a water pool and just then, I felt a strong pat on my shoulder with mom’s voice at the exact timing as if it was an audio visual clip. But I was still not able to see anything, until mom just splashed cold water on my face asking…

Its 9 am.. Don’t you think you should get out of your bed??
© Copyright 2011 Zee (xainab at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772599-The-Grey-Night