*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772928-Vlad
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1772928
A chance encounter
I’m the sort of person who notices everything. That may’ve been one of the reasons he spoke to me. I was a library assistant in Mileton, Pennsylvania. He always did like places ending in ‘vania’. A young man walked up to the counter, nearly hidden by the stack of books he held in both arms.
“Check out please.”
There was the faint hint of an accent, well disguised. He wore finally designed black clothing, simple and elegant. There was a cream scarf wrapped around his left arm.
“Of course. Just put them down."
He placed the books on the table and I saw a pale face with strong cheekbones. His hair was long and dark, like his eyes. When he smiled there was a flash of sharp white teeth under full, very red lips.
“Thank you.”
I began checking the books out before I noticed they were all on one topic. Vlad the Impaler.
“Reasearch?”
He chuckled and shook his head.
“No, just pleasure.”
As he said pleasure his voice dropped, huskier.
“Good choice. The man was amazing, so strong and powerful.”
There was a glint of surprise deep in his eyes.
“Most people find him repulsive."
I shrugged.
“I’ve long been an admirer. That’s a man who will never be forgotten.”
“Yes...yes. You are very right.”
Done. I handed the books to him.
“Need help?”
“Please.”
I took half the pile and followed him to the parking lot. Even loaded down he moved easily. Predatorily. His car was silver and new, something obviously expensive that I didn’t know the name of. He clicked a button and the trunk opened.
“Thank you.”
He smiled fully at me, the smile of a dark angel.
“You, you’re welcome.”
I stammered.He leaned against his car, arms folded behind his head. I noticed the scarf around his arm again, even its whiteness dark against his snowy skin.
“What happened to your arm?”
“Oh, just a slight accident. I got in a....fight.”
It didn’t surprise me. He seemed the type of man who would do that.
“I’m rather hot tempered. Just like Vlad.”
He looked into the distance.
“Tragic really, how a man who may have had stronger emotions is hated in the public’s eyes.”
“I agree.”
I looked around. The lot was darker. Dusk had come.
“By the way, what’s your name?”
I turned back to empty space. Everything, even the car, was gone.
“Hello?”
Air ghosted my skin and I shivered. Something heavy rested on my neck. I picked it up. Nestled in my palm was a fang, slightly red at the tip. Engraved in one side was a name. ‘Vladmir Dracul’. Underneath was scrawled ‘We will meet again.’ I smiled.


© Copyright 2011 thouart (thouart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1772928-Vlad