*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773874-A-sons-Reprieve
Rated: ASR · Other · Other · #1773874
A son returns home from a lifelong torment
    He could feel the blood course through his body as his pulse quickened.  After so many years, and so many broken promises, why would Walker return here now?  Standing in the fellowship hall, he played back the last memory he had of this place; screams echoing through the empty hall, cursing his dad's faith and denial simultaneously.  Walker approached the sanctuary cautiously.  So many childhood memories, so much misunderstanding in a building dedicated to undeniable love; all he could feel was hate.  He hated this place and the pain it flashed in him.  At the entrance to the worship hall stood a single burning candle on a wooden stand.  Intended as a symbol of peace, that candle was a reminder of death to Walker.  Inside, he could see a man hunched over one of the benches in silent prayer.  Anger swelled within him as his feet commanded him forward.  Walker adjusted his cloak to cover his face as he approached his father.
    "Dad?"  Walker whispered breathlessly.
    The man raised his head and turned slowly to face Walker.  His tangled hair appeared matted and unwashed.  Walker could see tears of joy parading down his father's cheeks.
    "My son."  Ely responded faithfully.
    Walker raised his head to look his father in the eye.  "You murdered her."  Walker growled as he plunged the knife into his father's chest feeling the pain wash over him.  "Your God cannot hide you from the truth!" Walker hissed.
    "I know Walker," Ely gurgled, "I came here everyday to beg for the Lord's forgiveness.  Finally, God has granted it to me through you."  He lovingly smiled at his flesh as his body collapsed.  Ely's body stiffened as his life disappeared.
    Walker stood there with blood on his hands and now begged forgiveness in a deafening silence.
© Copyright 2011 Miike7311 (miike7311 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773874-A-sons-Reprieve