*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774133-Debriefing
by Scorch
Rated: 18+ · Other · Horror/Scary · #1774133
A soldier is debriefed by a psychologist after his entire squad is wiped out.
Two large orderlies slowly approach a man who is sitting in a corner of an isolation room.

"What happened to him?" one of the orderlies asked the other.

"Don't know...he was picked up off the field and was babbling to himself about something attacking his squad...," the other replied. "I hear he was the only one who made it back."

"Damn, that's rough, he looks like he's just a kid ." The two orderlies surround the young man. One to each arm, they drag him from the room. The young man remained docile as he is in a straightjacket.

The orderlies lead the young man to a small office and set him in a chair. They leave the room to stand outside the door, remaining alert if they should be needed at any time during this session. The young man did not look at them or the man sitting behind the desk in front of him.

"So then, Private First Class Rick Hunter, it's good to see you" the man behind the desk said. Rick didn't look at him. "I'm Dr. Andrews; do you know why you’re here? Why don't you tell me about it....?”

Now Rick looked at him. In a hoarse voice he said, "You want to know what happened...ok...I’ll tell you."

Four days prior.

Delta Squad was on a routine patrol near a small village. It was night, so all ten soldiers had night vision goggles on. There had been reported attacks on people in the area; they were on high alert for the unknown enemy.

"Hey, I think I hear something over on the right flank."PFC. Lorin said over the squad mike.
"Go and investigate, we'll hold here." Sergeant McKay said over the mike. PFC. Lorin broke rank to follow his orders.

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT! CONTACT! OH SHI--" PFC. Lorin's mike went silent.
"Lorin? Report Lorin.....form up, we got company." Sergeant McKay said over the squad mike and everyone prepared for an attack.

Rick saw a shadow move behind Corporal Allister. "Allister, you got a contact behi--" Rick was cut off as Allister started screaming and he was picked up and thrown into Private Jenkins and PFC. Krichek.

Lance Corporal Bucket was standing beside Rick, looking from side to side, he said, “Shit. Where’d he go?” Suddenly Rick felt something hit his shoulder. There was a thud in the dirt at his feet. His shoulder was wet and there a gurgling sound coming from his right. He slowly looked over and screamed when he saw the now headless body of Bucket fall to the ground. At his feet was Bucket's head, a look of surprise etched across his face even in death.

Rick fell back and pushed away from Bucket’s remains. He yelled over the squad mike, "Damn. What the hell is it?" The squad gathered around Rick, flanking him so he could get off of the ground safely. They eyed Bucket’s decapitated lifeless body. They all went on high alert after seeing their enemy’s handy-work.

A shadow moved on the left flank. Suddenly, Private Waller who was guarding the flank had a clawed hand sticking out of his chest. The soldier looked down at impalement, his eyes widened in disbelief, and then his head lulled to the side. After Private Jenkins and PFC. Krichek had recovered enough from having Allister’s body hit them, they aimed their weapons and opened fire. Their bullets hit Waller’s body just as the arm was retracted. The shadow quickly moved away.

"WHAT IS IT!!!?”
"SHOOT IT!”
"STAY CALM!”
"SHIT. WHERE IS IT!!”
"WE NEED BACK UP!"
The squad mike was filled with panicked screams as everyone started shooting in every direction.

The shadow suddenly appeared in front of Rick. It was tall and very well built, like a body builder, but that is where any human resemblance ended. Its skin looked to be made of rubber and it had sharp teeth and claws. It smiled at Rick and then was gone in a flash. Rick blinked, saw the muzzle flashes, and felt the bite of three rounds that hit his shoulder. Rick looked toward the shooter, Jenkins.

Jenkins slowly lowered his rifle and said, "Oh shit, Ri--" Jenkins was cut off as his head was twisted all the way around; he fell to the ground.

“Get the hell away from me!" Sgt. McKay yelled and then his voice was cut off.

"RUN!" Rick heard Krichek yell.

It was down to Rick, Krichek, and Private Petters. Petters ran to Rick to help him up. They started to run as the sound of Krichek’s rifle was cut off by a blood curdling scream.

In a voice filled with fear Petters ordered, "MOVE!”

Even with his bullet wounds, Rick ran faster than the terrified Private. Rick was holding Petters’ arm as he ran ahead to help him keep up. Suddenly Rick felt Petters arm slacken. He looked back and screamed as he dropped the disembodied arm.

"Air st....." Rick vaguely heard his radio. "Re........my position...now....." Rick thought he recognized Sergeant McKay’s voice but he wasn't truly listening, the only thing on his mind was the shadow that loomed in front of him.

Rick slipped, which saved his life. He felt a burning pain across his chest, he looked down and saw blood were the shadow had slashed his chest with its claws. He rolled to his feet and started running. He heard a loud roaring noise as the whole area lit up and Rick was thrown into the air.

Rick slowly came to and blinked a few times at the bright light shining into his face. At first, he thought he had died. But the sound of whirling helicopter blades changed his mind. The pen light swept to the side. Rick blinked a few times; clearing his vision. He looked towards where he was being carried. He noticed he was being loaded into a helicopter. He looked back toward where they had come from and saw a crater that marked where an air strike had hit....



When Rick finished telling Doctor Andrews what happened, he looked at Rick skeptically.

“You don't believe me, I’m not lying, it happened. That thing killed my squad, it nearly killed me, you have to go and investigate! YOU'LL SEE, GO NOW, IT HAPPENED, LOOK, IT HAPPENED, I'M NOT LIEING!!!!"

The orderlies rushed in as Rick started trying to break his restraints.

The Doctor yelled, "HOLD HIM DOWN! SEDATE HIM!"

Rick felt a prick in his neck and then everything went black. The orderlies started to take him out of the room as the Doctor said, "Put him in isolation room 12, heavy watch, he's obviously crazy." They acknowledged the doctor with a nod as they took PFC Rick Hunter away.
© Copyright 2011 Scorch (scorch21500 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1774133-Debriefing