*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775272-I-Got-My-Name-Back
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1775272
Sometimes you have to make a clean break of things and start over. Flash Fiction 5/10
The snow lay so heavy on the graves that Sandra had to brush away several inches to get down to the stone. The simple marker read "David Walters 1975 - 2011". It was her name too. She was always Mrs. David Walters and she didn't mind one bit. She even sent her business cards back when they arrived with Sandra Hammond-Walters.

"Boy how things change Ms. Hammond," she chuckled to herself. She thought back to David's first affair. He denied it at the beginning but in light of the overwhelming evidence he admitted his sin. Then the second affair and the third and the fourth.

"Sorry 'bout the snow Ma'am," came a voice from behind.

Sandra spun and stood in one jerky motion, brushing the snow from her coat.

"Pardon?"

"The snow," the caretaker repeated. "If you call ahead we can have the grave cleared before you arrive.next time"

"That won't be necessary. There won't be a next time. I'm moving away."

Sandra turned and started walking to her car.

"Ma'am you dropped this!" The caretaker held out a white envelope.

"Thank you! I would have been lost with out this"

And she would have too. It was a check for every penny she got for selling David's personal things, his stock, and the house.She took the envelope with a smile.

"Your husband wasn't very old, do you mind if I ask how he died?"

"He had a rare blood disease that flared up. Doctors think he had to have been exposed to some heavy metals at work."

Sandra turned and walked away.

"Personally I think it was something he ate," she added under her breath.

She got into her car, secured her seat belt and her check, put her hands on the wheel and never looked back.
© Copyright 2011 Zephaniah Kirkwood (kevlord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775272-I-Got-My-Name-Back