*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775313-Where-The-Roads-Meet
by Dove
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Death · #1775313
A story about an incident involving a crossroad. Dramatic, heartbreaking, and so touching.
Chapter One
The Beginning Of The End



         If you were to ponder whether the end of one day is really the beginning of another, you'd be faced with some difficulties. For the brave military men and women serving in the wars, the end of one day may be the end of life. For a disease-ridden patient in a hospital, the end of three days could mark their end. For a normal person, you'd think that the end of a day wouldn't result in the end of the world they knew. I truly, sincerely hope that you are prepared for your logic to change dramatically.
         January 4th, 2021. That was the day of world-wide demise. The government began creating a special time of missile ten years prior to this day. Today was test day, to see if it worked. If so, the wars would shrivel, and finally we would know world peace. As you could probably tell, it was a huge day for a mankind.
         I worked in the government base. Mostly, I was there to keep them from finding out too much. I was a blood-thirsty killing machine, who'd lived for ten thousand years and showed no signs of decaying anytime soon. I was a vampire, an extremely powerful one at that. The government had killed vampires in wars using bombs and fire, and I had been the one to stop them from doing tests to find that not only were the deceased vampires' hearts not beating, they never had since the change. If they unleashed the power of the vampire, the secret, the world would fall into chaos. I stood perhaps ten-thousand miles from the launching base, using high-powered telescopic equipment to view it. The general stood at my side, counting down the seconds until detenation.
         "Five... Four... Two... One. Launch!" the general pushed the large blue button, and it began to flash a very bright, almost hypnotic shade. The missile launched out at full speed. Then a huge ringing expanded over the base, literally blowing out the ears of everyone there. Well, the ears of all mortals there. I heard it all. Everything went white. I saw nothing but a blind white maze, heard nothing but that infernal high-pitched ringing. So high-pitched in fact that, if I were human, only a dog would hear it. The scientists hadn't realized how loud this was, for they could not hear the frequency, especially after their eardrums were blown to pieces.
         I awoke in an odd place. The smells of burning flesh poured into my nostrils. Something was clogging my throat. I did not need to breath. However, it irritated me if I did not after three or four hours. Something pounded my chest - I guessed it was my fist, trying to dislodge this clogging. When my eyes opened, I found that it was a large metal ball that had gotten blasted into my throat during impact. When I glanced around, what I saw was catastrophic. No, not the millions of dead bodies; That wasn't something new to me, nor was it something I disliked. As a vampire, I had killed millions in my years. But the world was... Was nothing. Everything was black and burnt. The sky was a disgusting crimson-amber. Clouds of radiation blocked out any type of sunlight. I was happy to know this, for sunlight diminished my powers, though it did not kill me. The ground was like melted but solid lava-like liquid silver that had frozen. The whole terrain was a complete liquid crome color, and it shimmered like metal. No grass or dirt or rock in sight. Acid rain twinkled down, sprinkling this utterly destroyed earth. It didn't hurt me, though it stung just slightly.







© Copyright 2011 Dove (xxpurpledovexx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775313-Where-The-Roads-Meet