*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775994-The-Gift
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1775994
A dream that came to me during a meditative session.
THE GIFT



          I had a dream. I was outside a small temple, on a mound overlooking the picturesque landscape. It was a beautiful day, clear blue skies, everything was green and plush, and all of nature was alive. I was wandering around the temple searching, watching, or waiting for something. I had already been all over the country side, searching for something that I was not sure of. I had just returned to the temple grounds after what was a long journey. All of a sudden, I heard a voice saying to me “What are you looking for out here? Your gift is inside the temple, go in and get it.”

          I went back into the temple. It was a simple design, just a few pillars, a solid back wall with a small opening in it, and a roof over it. The temple looked very ordinary, like something everyone would have. There was only one room. In the center of the room there was a granite table. Then the voice told me to enter, to get my gift, and that it has been waiting there for me my whole life.

          I entered, and there before me was an unlocked gift box with a removable lid, just sitting on the altar table. The box was like a chest that you would keep your valuables in. I walked up to the gift box, and I removed the cover. When I first glanced into the box it appeared to be empty. Then as I peered into the box, there was no bottom. The more I searched for my gift in the box, the deeper the box appeared to be. I tried looking even harder, trying to seek out my gift. The depth seemed to appear to pass though the table, then the floor. As I peered in, layer after layer dissolved, and the deeper I saw into it. The further I tried to see into the box the deeper it went. It finally passed completely through the entire earth, and I could see into space seeing the star lit sky on the other side. However, even though it appeared to be so very deep, it all seemed as if it was just out of arms reach.

          I thought to myself, this is very strange. What could this mean? There was this voice behind me telling me again to reach into the box to get my gift. Still with doubt because of not being able to see it, but having faith in the voice I reached into the box. As I put my hands in, it appeared, within the depth of the box there was a very bright light. I wasn't really sure how I was going to pick it up. The voice told me to pick it up, so then I lifted my hands, and out came this brilliant mass of light. It fit perfectly in my hands. It was like an energy orb, spherical in shape. As the orb was lifted out, it expanded. It then become shapeless without form. Then the temple filled with this brilliant glowing light shooting out in all directions, through the pillars out into the countryside. I was pleased with this gift!

          This was the end of the dream. I pondered to myself what it could mean. I thought that maybe it was the gift of enlightenment, or I had found my true self within the light. Maybe it was just a portal to let love into the world, a gift to be shared with all.

          In retrospect, I had wondered if that gift has always been there for me, and I had believed that it wasn't mine. Maybe I thought that it wasn't supposed to be touched, handled, or used, only to be guarded and protected by me.

         I wondered if I had looked in the box before. Then at first glance, when I thought I saw it was empty, and believed it to be empty, I never looked any further. Or maybe, if I looked in and saw it without a bottom, I thought that it had fallen out. I possibly started looking all around the box, on the floor, even searching the countryside, never to find it.

         I then wondered, what if I looked in and saw the vast depth, and I thought I could never be able to reach it, gave up and walked away. Or possibly after hearing the voice, I didn't believe the voice, because I never knew where, or who it was coming from.

          Maybe that is why I had been wandering the countryside, trying to find out who I am. Looking everywhere, on the outside to find that elusive gift, with the answers to life. I finally returned to my temple, and the gift was inside the whole time.

          My gift was with in my grasp at all times, and because I was only looking for it I could not see it. I needed to believe, and trust in the voice telling me to reach in and grab onto it, and show it to the whole world.

          In seeing they may not see, and in hearing they may not hear. Except the nothing, and listen to the silence.Take heed open your heart, and listen!

My Dream
Thomas Seeker

© Copyright 2011 Thomas Seeker (rickyj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1775994-The-Gift