*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776638-Adventures-of-my-garden
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Documentary · Home/Garden · #1776638
These are the thoughts and adventures of taking on the garden of our new home.
"Build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them." Jeremiah Chapter 29, verse 5

Apr 2011
I have recently moved into a home in West Central Saskatchewan. Our home was built in 1932, so it has a history, many neighbors have told me little tidbits about the home and garden and so now I have a reputation to live up to. One of the previous owners was apparently a very good gardener, but right now it just looks a lot like a dead jungle. The weather is still cold and the growing season will be quite short, so I planted some seeds in containers inside for replanting later. I have been told that I have raspberries but don't really know where they are located and that one of the trees in my back yard is an apple tree.

"And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited." Ezekiel Chapter 36, verse 35

May 2011
We have raked most of the yard and it's starting to look a lot better around our yard. I took a look in the garden shed and had to run away, it's mouse infested! The previous owners left some bird seed in there uncovered and the mice have been having a feast! We got rid of the feast and left the door open so the local cats can have a feast (thats the circle of life). Now, I have to clean the shed as well, there's a lot of old stuff in there. Amazingly my plants are growing. They have taken up a spot on my living room bench so they can get sun, but because its so sunny, I have to water almost everyday. There's cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, zucchini, green pepper, tomato, basil, oregano and parsley. I have located the raspberry bushes and I'm not sure that they still live, but I'm leaving them there in the hope that they'll come back. It's only the 15th and my zucchini is starting to flower! Next weekend is the soonest I can plant and that might be to soon. In the meantime, I'm cleaning out all the dead stuff in the yard with the help of my husband and kids... but they're not as keen as me. We have, so far, filled at least 10 garbage bags with dead yard waste and dog waste - not all of it belongs to our animals.

June2011
We managed to plant a few tomatoes, a green pepper and a rubarb plant. The wildlife has eaten some of the plants. Time to let nature do its thing.

July 2011
Many many weeds have come up and it's hard to tell whats good and whats a weed. I think we need a roto tiller. Discovered we have raspberries, apples, and other unidentified berries.

August 2011
Picked raspberries, and made raspberry jam for the first time, it tastes good but is a bit runny. Then the apples started turning ripe so we picked them and gave many away, then I made apple butter. That turned out really good. I also made Apple and Plum butter wich didn't need sugar because it was so sweet on it's own.
© Copyright 2011 mary568 (mary568 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776638-Adventures-of-my-garden