*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1777572-Spotlight-on-Character-Lesson-2-notes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #1777572
Lesson 2 Discussion Question
Discussion Question


For your initial discussion observation this week, tell us which of the two schools of thought on describing a character’s physical attributes you prefer and why you prefer it. (Check back in the Physical Appearance section of our lesson to refresh your mind on what the two schools are.)

You initial observation must be at least 200 words. Give at least two, referenced examples demonstrating the school of thought you prefer.



Lesson Two – Discussion For your initial discussion observation this week, tell us which of the two schools of thought on describing a character’s physical attributes you prefer and why you prefer it. (Check back in the Physical Appearance section of our lesson to refresh your mind on what the two schools are.)

You initial observation must be at least 200 words. Give at least two, referenced examples demonstrating the school of thought you prefer.

Post your initial observation as a Reply to the Lesson Two – Discussion message thread on our "Let's Talk About It!" Forum.

Be sure you go back throughout the week and respond to your fellow students’ observations and comments as well.

Remember: Don’t start a new message thread. Keep all of your responses within the Lesson Two – Discussion thread.

Lesson Two Exercise – Character Study Create a new or remake an old main character for the story you will be writing as your final project for this class. To make it easier, start with the basics, and end with answers to these questions: Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? What if?

♥ First, find a picture of how you see your character. Go on line and find a picture, or go through a catalog or magazine and cut out a picture that reminds you of your character. Take a photograph of someone who looks like your character. If you need to, draw the picture yourself. You need a strong visual image of your character. Tape it near your computer. Look at it as you do the rest of this exercise and every day as you write your story over the next few weeks. The more real this character becomes to you, the better you will write him or her. If you have the capacity, post the picture in your WDC account and include an item link to it in your assignment. (If you aren’t sure how to do an item link, please let me know, and I’ll send you instructions.) If you can’t post a picture on WDC, explain what you did to obtain the picture you will be using.

♥ Next, make a list of at least 50 details about this character. Start with the basics. Include name, location, physical description, oddities, career, historical period, likes, dislikes, family history, pivotal events in the character’s life, anything and everything you can think of that will make this character come alive in your mind. Include both positive and negative traits. Be detailed and be explicit.

Take time to review your classmate’s character lists. Post any comments and/or suggestions you think may help clarify and solidify their characters.

Post your Character Study Exercise in Bitem format as a Reply to the Lesson Two – Exercise message thread on our "Character Class Assignments" Forum. Remember: Don’t start a new message thread. Keep all of your posts within the Lesson Two – Exercise thread.


Lesson Two – Story Assignment Using your Character Study and the concepts covered in this lesson write a short scene (500 to 750 words) in which your character is introduced into your story for the first time. Describe some of your character’s physical traits. Reveal something important about him or her that will have a bearing on the story later on.

Post your Character Introduction scene in Bitem format as a Reply to the Lesson Two – Writing Assignment message thread on our "Character Class Assignments" Forum. Remember: Don’t start a new message thread. Keep all of your posts within the Lesson Two – Writing Assignment thread.





© Copyright 2011 SWPoet (branhr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1777572-Spotlight-on-Character-Lesson-2-notes