*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778509-Blind-sunrise-on-Sunset--Bay
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Experience · #1778509
Blind for an hour...sunrise assignment.
I started quite late doing this lesson.

I wanted to give this a try as soon as I read the instructions.

Without a doubt. Blind.

I couldn't do this during the week though. I was a bachelor for the week, and I did not want to spend an hour blind and alone. That would not be safe in my neighborhood.

I'll do it over the long weekend, at Sunset Bay.

One catch to my plan was that Tim joined us for the weekend. The only thing I'll write about Tim is that: It would never be a good idea to be blindfolded anywhere near Tim.  Please do not put yourself in a dangerous situation.
I waited for Tim to make his scheduled departure on Sunday afternoon.

I put my blindfold on at 2:08 PM

Leslie was watching the last few minutes of the first period of the hockey game (Vancouver vs San Jose in game four of the Stanley Cup playoffs).
Because we are avid hockey fans I can enjoy a hockey game with-out the visual, I have often listened to games on the radio.
We are Vancouver Canuck fans and we exchanged high fives for three goals scored by Vancouver during the second period.
Leslie seemed to need to grasp my arm to slap my hand, as if She were the one blindfolded. Strange???

In keeping with the lesson instructions stating: Please do not sit on the couch for an hour while blind, do something!

Leslie took me for a ride on the quad during the second intermission of the game.

I decided to take a few pictures of my blind quad ride. I will try and share them in the lounge later.

The ride experience went pretty much as expected. It was not much in the way of a lesson in trust, because I trusted Leslie's driving and guidance beforehand.
Leslie pointed out that a neighbor was waving at us from his lawn tractor. I waved back in the general area. I snapped a couple of photos before Leslie pointed out my camera was, OFF!

We did a tour of our bay and returned to the yard. Our waving neighbor stopped by to see what was going on. He suggested that maybe Leslie's driving was so bad that I had to be blindfolded.

Getting around was pretty uneventful, I did things by grope and feel, it would be different in unfamiliar territory.


When I got back in the house my hour had more than elapsed, although the hour seemed to pass quickly I was glad to regain my vision.

I removed my blindfold at 3:17 pm.

I am truly blessed when it comes to having full use of all my senses, and to be in good physical and spiritual health. This lesson, and times when we are sick or injured, give us a glimpse into what everyday life is like to somebody living with an impairment. I found that I would have to place so much more trust into other people as well as re-learn how to do even the most simplest of tasks. I am very proud and impressed with a friend of mine who lost his eyesight as an adult, he has since been elected to a civic office.  I have an even greater appreciation for his accomplishment after my experiment in temporary blindness.
© Copyright 2011 Brother Nature (brothernature at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778509-Blind-sunrise-on-Sunset--Bay