*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778877-A-Wishful-Story-CH1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Animal · #1778877
Animal Story :D:Anthony Rat is on Winter break, but comes across a book that grants wishes
Ch 1 Anthony

Bits of ash fell from the sky as a dark mist shrouded the world. As mountain peaks crumbled under the dying earth, out of volcanic fire, monstrous slabs of rock destroyed nearby forests as lava, seeping down the volcano like blood from an open wound, swallowed the very foundation of society former villagers had forged over countless years. In one foul swoop, a once mighty empire had now vanished off the face of the planet; but still, the castle stood. But not without undergoing its own Armageddon within its walls.

Through the hollow doors lay decaying piles of corpses; left behind by savage beasts that still ravaged other parts of the castle. The clanging of cold steel echoed through the foyer, along with gut wrenching screams. The noise was traced up to none other than the throne room. Past the dim lit door, tattered banners crawled on the crimson floors, with the only illumination being the fiery volcano outside the balcony. Two creatures occupied the room: one dominating and the other groveling at his opponents visage.

Pulling himself across the floor and putting his back to a wall, a gray furred rat placed a paw on his belly. The wet red liquid consistently pouring out his body; spelling his death. Each breath he took proved more tiresome and arduous. All he could do was stare at his former opponent, who overshadowed him like the angel of death.

"Be done with it then," spoke the rat, cursing his tormenter.

"Not until you tell me the location of 'God's Tear'."

"Hah-ack." The rat began trembling. The blood once seeping out of his stomach was now traveling a similar route out of his mouth. Entrapped in a world fading into darkness, he held on to what pride he could muster. "Damned peasant, thou still thinketh I would tell thee of the diamonds whereabouts?"

The victor moved closer to the dying rat and removed his crown. Kneeling before him, he starred meticulously into his darkening eyes. "Your kingdoms in ruin, your people dead, what more can you hold onto? With the diamonds power I may still be able to create a utopia for our kind. If not for your people, do it for your queen…and your son."

Wheezing, the old king, grinned through scarlet lips. As his whiskers sagged, his body began to follow; gently falling into the cold embrace of his castle. "Alas," he whispered, "my era has come to an end. Noble mouse, whatever the cause thou fightest for, verily I say in death. As the earth withholds its most precious secrets, soothly shall I. My…cup…runs…empty…"

"No," said the mouse, holding onto the rats paw that now went limp in his. "No! Tell me where the diamond is! Tell me!"

But the king didn't answer. Alone in the dark room, through a chorus of vociferous explosions and burning debris ripping through the night, the young mouse tried holding in pitiful sobs.

"So close," he whispered, "so close to saving my wife…my love."

"…And that students was how my cousin survived a painful death by parasites while still winning 1st place in the counties talent show."

"What?"

Suddenly, the world of fire and stone came crumbling down in a shower of confusion. The stone walls of the castle were now replaced by tan colored wood, with tons of posters relating to things in the medical field. Rows of school desks dropped onto a colorless carpet, then beasts of various species dropped on top of them; clapping to a riveting tale told by the classes plump opossum teacher about her brave cousin. Now snapped out of his realm of fantasy, Antony now wished he had been paying attention.

Setting his pen down atop of his notebook, the young black hooded rat reclined on his desk. The desks suffocating space forced him to shift into a more comfortable position due to his chubby waistline. Straining to turn around to view the desk behind him, he smiled at the brown female rat, clapping along with the other students.

"How did her cousin live?"

The doe giggled, stifling her noise with a paw lest the teacher thinks she found the story humorous. She was of a similar body type to Anthony's, only difference was of course her more feminine features. The gateway that was her eyelids released a pair of bright brown orbs that shined like the sun. Only the flawless paws she possessed were worthy enough to touch the masterful work of art that was her face. As if her awe striking features weren't enough, nothing compared to her shapely figure exhibiting radiance, self confidence, and well groomed outer beauty. What an honor it was for the gold bracelets and loop earrings to be part of her grace, which made them more genuine than they appeared. With every breath she exhaled, life was scattered with it; trailing the lands and seas with a voice of an angel to guide it along its way. Renata was all these things to Anthony, and just another plain Jane to society. Sadly however, he never had the grit to tell her how he felt. But something in her smile told him she knew. That or his buffoon like nature along with his shyness brought her amusement.

"You never pay attention to anything when your writing do you?"

Only when your not around, he thought, I should totally tell her that. "Only when…it's-not on a test next week, hehe." Stupid stupid stupid, you blew your chance!

"Honestly," she shoved him playfully. "We're seniors now, in our last year of high school, this could be a dangerous habit to have during projects and finals; not to mention at a job. I want to see you graduating with the rest of us, so don't…hey, are you listening to me?"

She shoved me, he continued thinking, she actually shoved me!

"Anthony," she whined.

"Oh! Uh, sorry. Yeah yeah, I know what you mean. Don't worry, I'll be up there on stage with the rest of you." Oh my gosh she actually shoved me!

"Good…now is there a reason why you just zoned out? It was kinda freaky."

"Uh, well, you know me. Got a lot on my mind lately."

"About John Ringo's book signing convention at the library?"

"Yes," Anthony bounced, "aren't you exited?"

"I would be, if I was able to go."

Anthony frowned, his plans on how he would summon up the courage to go with her shot down like a plane with missing wings. "Awww, why not?"

"I have to visit my aunt for a few days. She's sick, and my dad wants to be there for her."

Darn you sick aunt excuses, Anthony thought. "I'm sorry."

Renata smiled, "Don't be, its not your fault."

Ring! "Okay students," said the teacher as the school bell rung, "be safe and have a wonderful winter break!"

"Finally," said Anthony, anxious to get home and get ready for the following day, which was bound to be the most memorable moment of his life.

Bounding out the classroom with Renata following, a cold gust of wind shot through the portable classroom door. Paws were quick to bundle up and wrap scarves around necks, as well as leave this suffocating institution of learning. As for the weather itself, it prevented many beasts, including Anthony, to indulge in the healthy, rewarding task of walking home. The state never snowed and would make those in other parts of the country scoff at considering 50 degrees cold. Being more of a desert region in the west, it was known more for its hot summers, giving the residence a sort of reptilian tolerance to heat. Under overcast skies, the residence shivered as cold winds ran by; freezing the poor beasts further like a pale of cold water being rudely thrown at them.

As the breeze rolled by, Renata shivered; her fur resembling a feather duster.

"Its so freezing."

"Yeah, no kidding," said Anthony, agreeing but not too bothered by the cold. Thanks to his fondness for jackets, he usually kept warm pretty easily. Though, looking over at Renata, she didn't seem to be having as easy a time adjusting to the weather. The poor doe tucked in her shoulders and had her paws under her arms. Her earmuffs and scarf did their job, but the thin purple jacket which barely contained enough patting seemed as much a victim to the weather as its wearer.

"You…er, you want to…hug?"

"Huh," Renata turned to him, her eyes more pleading than perplexed.

"Er, I mean for warmth. You know, share…body-heat…I mean?" In the brief moment he made the suggestion, his heart pounded fiercely, and butterflies formed a swirling torrent in his belly.

I can't believe I asked that, he thought, what'll she think of--

Before he could finish his sentence, she was up against his body without uttering a word; paws still under her arms and shoulders tucked in.

Wow, she's actually pressed against me!

Removing his paws from within his pockets, Anthony completed the deal by putting his arms around her. At that instant, waves of ironic thoughts entered his mind. His feelings for Renata were strong, and he always looked forward to the day when he would finally be able to wrap his paws around her in a loving gesture. Today he didn't plan for this, but being the gentlerat he thought himself to be, the words slipped out of his mouth. Sadly, he pictured his first hug with her to be warm and full of bliss. Right now, it was like hugging a pillar of ice.

"Goodness, how do you get so warm," she asked.

Goodness, how do you get so cold, he thought, his fur beginning to resemble hers. "Thanks, its probably because I have a thick jacket and shirt, and because I'm-um-fat."

Renata scoffed, "Oh please, my papa's fat. Your just," suddenly, she took her paws out from under her arms, and wrapped herself around Anthony's round middle in a cold embrace, "huggable."

While his footpaws continued escorting her to the parking lot, his torso and upper body froze. But it wasn't by the coldness of her touch, but by her action and compliment, which caused the male rat to blush all over. Her icy claws had little effect due to her warm breath thawing him out. While his brain was in a shut down state, still trying to comprehend what was going on, her last words (or word rather) was the only one floating around the empty space of his skull.

Huggable, huggable, hug-able, never forget, huggable. "Huggable."

Honk! As soon as they reached the parking lot, a nearby SUV made its presence known. Anthony immediately released his arms around her as he snapped back into reality.

"My papa," said Renata in a squeaky kind of tone, the kind which usually made Anthony giggle. But not this time, this time he gulped. Did the father see him hold his daughter in plain sight? Did he see them pressed against each other? What would he think if he did? Anthony couldn't tell since the windows were so dim, which concealed most of the driver other than his outline; which was big, very very big. Perhaps he was one of those strict, jealous fathers who hated boyfriends no matter what. Perhaps he would shout at her when they get home, or on the ride home. The thought of poor little Renata sad, tears dripping down her face, brought tears to Anthony's eyes. And the thought of her father shouting at him-him, timid, peace loving Anthony, caused his heart to skip a beat. The rat stared into space, imagining the horrors of what could happen if her father got his claws on him.

"Are you okay?"

Anthony looked at Renata, who stared back quizzically, also releasing him in a slower fashion as soon as they entered the parking lot. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. So, I guess I'll be seeing you later then. Have a good winter break."

"Actually, there's one more thing."

Oh no, thought Anthony, whatever it is, please. Not in front of your dad. "Yes?"

"Other than going to your book signing event, what else will you be doing over the break?"

Anthony blew a concealed sigh of relief through his nose, glad that it wasn't anything involving body contact. "Well, its like I've told you before. I spend most of my time writing and staying indoors because, well, lack of friends to do things with. Present company excluded of course. The events tomorrow actually. Then afterwards, it just seems like the same ordinary boring vacation."

"Oh, that's great," she squeaked, her brown eyes fluttering with joy. "Next week, after visiting my sick aunt, I'm actually having a party. My 17th birthday to be specific, and since you don't do anything else I was hoping if you could come. Hehe, I have a lack of friends too."

"What?" He couldn't believe what'd just been said. Him, timid, peace loving, boring, indoor, shy, do nothing Anthony, was actually invited to a party, and not just any party, Renata's. Though his disposition was as still as cement, his inner joy paraded around in euphoria.

Giggling, Renata continued. "I said--"

"Oh yes, yes I know. Er, yes, I'd be delighted to come. Thank you."

"Great," she said with little enthusiasm, though Anthony could tell by her body language that she had the same type of bouncy excitement he had whenever he's happy.  "So…do you have a phone number…er, something I can contact you with?"

"Oh, uh, I have an email address. I tend to use my computer more than a phone."

As Anthony quickly took out a pen and paper to write his email down, Renata did a similar thing. When they were done, they handed the slips of paper to each other with Anthony's paw trembling in excitement, as if he was receiving a celebrity's autograph. Ever the constant thinker, he couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed.

I can't believe a girl asked me, a male, for my phone number.

"Now you have my email and home address," said Renata, "don't lose it, I don't want to spend my birthday with my annoying cousins."

I'd sooner die a thousand deaths than lose your address. "Don't worry, I'll keep it safe."

"One more thing."

Ears wide and giving his full attention to whatever she had to say next, Anthony was caught completely off guard as nose, whiskers, and muzzle touched each other in a silent kiss that stopped time in his world. Shoving him playfully exited him, hugging froze him up, but this nearly caused him to drop dead on the spot. The air grew warm, and the skies suddenly were replaced by pink clouds and sunshine. The cold moist pavement of the school campus and roads suddenly sprouted daisies, red hearts, and cupcakes. Everybeast walking, grumpy or otherwise, all transformed into butterflies, and rose pedals raining from the skies. And all in the center of it was Renata, wearing a crown made of lilacs and a gown of thin white silk. His queen to a seemingly perfect existence.

"Thank you," she pulled away, "for keeping me warm earlier."

"Your welcome," he whispered, the words barely escaping his lips.

Honk! The SUV beeped again.

"Er, well, I better go then."

"Okay," Anthony whispered.

"See you in a week then."

"See you in a week."

Exchanging one last smile, his future queen regally walked off to her royal chariot, with a large and rather intimidating chamberlain waiting at the reins.

Take care my love, he thought again with a passion. As the sun meets the dawn, so shall we. For no beast or force of nature can break the chains our love hath bound together. Our destinies, now intertwined, shall bring us together again in a bright and glorious future. And God willing, we shall rejoice with the bells on our wedding day. For there is no one, not one, on the face of the planet that can--

Honk! Snapped out of his private soliloquy, Anthony looked to the direction of the honking. Frightened at first of it being Renata's dad, he was relieved to see it came from a white van, and his mother beckoning him with a paw to hurry up. Not wasting anymore of his time staying at school, he walked on over.

What a day this has been. Why today in the two years that I've known her has this happened? He wasn't certain. Perhaps it was because he offered to hug her. Maybe she was planning on kissing him if he accepted the invitation. Who knows. All he knew was that he-he, timid, peace loving, boring, indoor, shy, do nothing, might-actually-be-considered-handsome-in-her-eyes-for-a-fat-rat-Anthony, was kissed by his love. There might be hope for him yet. Due to today's proceedings, the thought of confession was close at paw. Going to her birthday party just might be the day to do it.

Hopping into the van and greeting his mom, Anthony looked back to the spot where they stood. That's the spot, he thought, that's the spot where we had our first kiss. Were it in his power, he would relive that moment over and over again. The butterflies in his stomach churning fiercely at the thought of it. What a feeling it was to wish. But who knows? Perhaps in a weeks time, his wish just might come true.
© Copyright 2011 Guitarmouse (guitarmouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1778877-A-Wishful-Story-CH1