*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780178-Belgars-Mountain
by Vernie
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1780178
Only one single apple falls from this tree each year. Who will get it this time?
I couldn’t wait to get the single ruby red apple from the lonely tree sitting atop the large mountain. Only one apple falls from that tree each year. You have to act quickly to get that apple before the caveman, Belgar, who lives alone inside the hole of the mountain.
         
As an elderly man it was a chore for me to reach the top of the mountain. Deciding that the apple would be mine, I woke early and headed towards meeting my goal.
         
Reaching the mountain, I took a long breath, I started climbing the hillside. I climbed and climbed, then I stopped to catch my breath. Looking up I started climbing again, stopping once more to catch my breath. Just a few more steps and I will be at the tree.
         
Finally reaching the top I needed to rest and wait for that special apple to fall. My mouth began filling with saliva as I imagined the sweet taste of the apple.
         
Leaning against the base of the tree, I dozed off for what seems like a very short nap. The thud of the fresh apple hitting the ground startled me awake. Just as I reached for it, a hand came from behind the tree and stole my apple.

“Hey, give me my apple!” I yelled.

“Your apple?” chuckled the Belgar. “I believe this apple was on my mountain and now it’s in my hand. It will soon be in my belly.”

“I climbed this mountain just for that apple,” I said.

“Do you really want this apple?”

“You know I do.”

“I will tell you how you can have it. You see I have spent many years alone in that cave and I need someone to care for my things should I ever have to leave. If you go find me a cave woman to spend the rest of my life with, then it will be yours.”

“But I’m an old man, it could take me forever to find her.”

“You don’t have forever. You have one day to bring her back to me or I will eat this apple for my snack tomorrow night.”

“I don’t even know where to look for a cave woman.”

“I can sure tell you that there is none on this mountain. I have wandered this place many a times, I am alone here. This is Belgars’ mountain.”

“Okay, I will see you at your cave by tomorrow evening with a woman for you.”

I headed off in search of someone, I had no idea where to look. I wandered for hours. The rest of the day, during the night and most of the morning walking through deserts, jungles, and even observing other mountains. I found no one that was suited for Belgar. Finally it hit me, I had to look in the forest. I strolled over near a stream, where I heard something. Oh my, I thought, I think I found her.

Cautiously I walked over to the woman who was picking berries. Frightened the cave woman ducked behind a thicket of shrubs, but I could see her peering out at me.

“It’s okay,” I tried to console her into trusting that I wouldn’t hurt her. “I would like to talk to you about something. You see, I know this man who is very interested in spending his life with you. If you agree to do this, you will get everything he owns in the event that he has to leave his mountain cave.”

“Mountain cave?” she questioned.

“Yes, ma’am. But you have to decide on this quickly as I have only until tonight to bring you back to him.”

“Why tonight?”

“He is holding this most delicious apple, and I cannot have it unless I get you back soon. I have waited a whole year for this apple, as only one falls per year. Please, will you go with me?” I was practically begging her at this point.

“Well, I am very tired of hunting, cooking, and living alone. I could use the help of a handsome man.”

“Whoa…I never said he was handsome.”

“But I’m sure he is.” she said with a huge smile on her face. “Okay, let me get a few of my things together and then we can leave.”

“Great.” I said, wishing she would pack more quickly.

“Now let’s get going. I am so ready to meet my mate. By the way, my name is Olga.”

We traveled back to Belgars’ mountain more quickly as we didn’t need to travel all the terrain which I had to take to find Olga. Once we arrived at the mountain I  had to find Belgar quickly, my time to return was running out.

“Hey Belgar!” I shouted as loudly as possible.

Exiting from the cave, Belgar stood there with my apple in his hands.

“I’m back. This is Olga, she is excited to stay with you.”

“Hello Olga.” said Belgar with blushing red cheeks and a sly grin on his face. “Its nice to meet you.”

“Hello Belgar.” said Olga looking glancing quickly at Belgar then to the ground.

“Okay Belgar, a deal is a deal. I brought you Olga, now you must give me my apple.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry dear friend but that is not possible.”

“Why not? You have it in your hands and I need to head on home now.” I said with a little disgust in my voice.

“Because the apple fell from my tree, on my mountain, above my cave, which really means that it is my apple. I am going to enjoy it with my new friend Olga.” Belgar proclaimed as he walked over to Olga, took her hand in his and was casually leading the way to the cave.

“Wait Belgar! This is not fair, that’s my apple and I want it now!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

“Guess you’ll have to wait until next year. Good luck, see you then.” Belgar  smiled at me over his shoulder as he and Olga disappeared inside the cave. I gave up on it this year, but next year that red delicious apple will be mine!





© Copyright 2011 Vernie (vernie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780178-Belgars-Mountain