*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780253-Only-God-Knows
by sarah
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1780253
Written on April 17, 2011 In honor of my mom, Patricia
It's incredible what each day brings us. Life is so unexpected and it's amazing when you stop and take a look at all it's beauty. When your own life flashes before your eyes, you start to not take life for granted. You begin to think of everyday as a gift from above and you wouldn't have it any other way.
I sat down into the baby blue Honda Accord that iv known for years. Just as I always did I buckled up my seat belt and got ready for the drive down the street to a friends house. I had a plate of pizza in my hand and a backpack around my shoulders. We backed out of the small narrow parking space in front of our local convenience store. As we drove along to the exit, I didn't think anything of the big black SUV that pulled in beside us. We took off and as soon as we went, we were stopped. The way we glazed the pavement so swiftly, only to be followed by a sound I'll never forget. I jerked forward as I gripped the handle of the door with a violent scream. I'm not sure why, but I didn't close my eyes. I stared back at the car coming right for us and faced the facts with fear. As we made direct contact with the small Toyota, my world got dizzy. I began to shake as if there was an earthquake happening inside me. I sat silently for a moment and then reached to my right, searching for the door handle. I pushed all my weight up to get out of that car. All I wanted was out. I couldn't believe how far up I had flown in that car and I was baffled beyond my mind. I didn't believe that this had really happened to my mom and I. I began to walk across the road to the other car that had blown a tire and spun in circles. "Are you okay!" I spoke across the space between me and the elderly lady that had just been shaken around. My voice sounded a bit distorted and choked up. I slowed my walk and my mom went over to accompany the lady. I didn't fully understand what was going on and as I walked away I began to call the police. I soon gathered myself and As the droplets began to dispute from the sky I ran back inside the convenience store.
I can still see Andy's golden face as I looked across the parking lot. "Andy?" I said. He turned around as I called his name out into the broken cloudy world. I began to feel the soft, smooth rain drops as they fell onto the earth as if they were covering the land with a secure blanket of hope. I explained the situation to him. "Here, come look at the damage." I whispered in a calm serene voice. He followed next to me at a relaxed pace as he gazed over to the other side of the street where my moms car was. We walked along the shattered front bumper and took a look at the twisted up license plate on the ground. "how did it get so bent up?!" Andy questioned as he looked up into my gentle green eyes. "It flew down the road when we hit her, head on." his face glowed with a surprised expression. "whoa!" he exclaimed as the clouds above began to rumble louder at us. My mom signaled us from across the road, while I dialed Margo's number into my cell. "hey! Get down here. We were in a car accident." Before I knew it she was riding up on her big blue bike towards Andy, my mom, and I. She ran up for a hug. "I'm so glad your okay." she hollered with a sigh of relief.
I could have died in that accident. It cost my mom everything when she almost lost her arm in a brutal accident nine years ago. Just the same way it happened today, it happened nine years ago on my fifth birthday. Easily, that could have been our last day on this beautiful earth of love and compassion. We could have been with God right now, up in that magical castle we refer to as heaven. But today he had a different plan for us- a plan for us to live and carry on. It could have happened so fast, and by the flash of my eyes my world could have came crumbling down by a simple trip to the store. But God did not intend for it to happen that way. Such an incident as this, was planned to re-construct us and show us that at anytime, anyplace, and anywhere our lives can come to a sudden stop. It makes you think a lot about the way you live your life and how you want to spend your time here on such a wonderful place of love and hate.
Just learn from your past, don't live in it. Escape your depression and don't live with hate. Try your best to love life and live it to it's fullest because you only have one life and once it's gone well, it's gone for good.
© Copyright 2011 sarah (srottmann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780253-Only-God-Knows