*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1781807-Complex
Rated: E · Short Story · Environment · #1781807
A short, dialogue-only story in the impressionist style.
         "You know, he’s had it rough, too. His mother has cancer.”

         “Oh! He has all the luck. I wish my mother had cancer.”

         “Why is he so important to you? I mean -- Oh, just listen. Why does this guy make you feel all bad about yourself, huh?”

         “He and I weren’t a whole lot different when we were young. See, we were both skinny, wimpy twigs, only he had all the looks and he was able turn his situation around.”

         “You have looks too.”

         “Don’t lie to me. I ain’t ever had looks, nowhere near his. And he’s got that charisma, the charm.”

         “He seems to be making good company over there. Go talk to him! You need to get past this thing of yours.”

         “Leave me alone, will you? I’m doing fine just the way I am.”

         “Look at you! You’ve become a mess! I say this ‘cause I’m your friend. You need to get a-hold of yourself!”

         “Whatever…Man, look at him. He thinks he owns the place.”

         “Wouldn’t surprise me.”

         “I always used to look up to him. Not in a lesser type of way, though; I saw us as equals. But, see, he was always everything I wanted myself to be. He got the girls, the sports glory moments, the…Hell, this guy was everything. The smarts, the looks, and the athletic ability all in one. He -- ugh. “

         “It’s just your mind playing a trick on you saying that you aren’t as good as him!”

         “Who said I wasn’t as good as him? Huh? Someday he’s going to get the consequences for living such a damn good life.”

         “No, I mean that you could have been all those things, too. You just don’t have any motivation, any willpower. You don’t have the patience that becoming the best takes. The big difference between you and him isn’t the gifts, it’s the fact that he was willing to wait and work hard until he got those things. You, on the other hand, are here poutin’ when you could be working on getting better.”

         “I’m not pouting.”

         “He’s over there making new acquaintances. You’re wasting away the night getting drunk.”

         “Everybody drinks.”

         “No alcoholic is ever going to be successful.”

         “You’re shitting me! You’re telling me that there’s never been one person to ever live that has made it and stills drinks?”

         “If you were happy with life in itself, you wouldn’t need to drink.”

         “We drink ‘cause it’s what makes life happy!”

         “No, you drink because you can’t be happy with the life you lead.”

         “Aw, screw you.”

         “Tell me it isn’t true.”

         “It’s not!”

         “Do you think that guy got around to being as successful as he is by sitting around all the time either drinking, eating, or sleeping?”

         “He drinks, too!”

         “You’re missing my point! He doesn’t drink as much as you. He creates value with his time. He has things to show for what he’s done. But you, you can only say that you can out-drink everyone.”

         “I can. That’s something I’m proud of.”

         “Then settle for something as stupid as that. That guy over there, he’ll just keep being better than you for the rest of your life.”
© Copyright 2011 Pendergast (pendergast at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1781807-Complex