*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782596-My-Visit-To-Bath
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1782596
A review of my visit to Bath that has been published on the Bath website www.bath.co.uk
Who’d have guessed that if you travel just two and a half hours from home you could end up in one of Britain’s most gorgeous cities! Adopting the creative pleasures of Brighton and the mild-mannered sweetness of Devon, this city is everything you’d want for a break away. We arrived to be met by this quaint boutique of a hotel. It’s meekness emphasised by cobbled streets and wonderfully decorated boudoirs. The buildings all seem to be inspired by the Roman Baths just up the road with Bath Abbey standing steadfastly by its side. The overall feeling you get from this place is one of a soul-deep awakening.

The streets were paved with performers; musicians, puppeteers, clowns and comics. Again we stumbled upon a group of musicians that had us entertained for half an hour before we happily parted with a fiver for a copy of their marvellous record.

Everything had us enthralled, from the quaint little shops, to the smallest pub in Bath, from the expensive and prestigious patisseries to the large host of bars and restaurants, including Jamie’s Italian.

Going to the Roman Baths was definitely a highlight, though the queues may be long, what lies behind the curtain is a place well worth the wait. I couldn’t have imagined a place more serene and though packed full of people, everyone there appreciated and respected the place and it’s mesmerising atmosphere.

The holy waters were untarnished by humans, but they are more than happy for you to side by the side of the water and get within inches of it. A lot of the building has been re-worked, you can easily notice the additions as soon as you get there, but the preservation of what still stands is wonderful. Ignoring the narrated tour we chose to haphazardly twist and turn through the grounds, stumbling upon many exciting finds. The ingenuity of the Roman race, is quite simply astounding and the engineering involved in making steam rooms and working with what was considered a work of God was done with care throughout the ages.

If I could I’m sure we would choose to live there tomorrow. Until that day we will enjoy returning once a year just as many do, and look forward to encountering many more hospitable hotels and wonderful patisseries.
© Copyright 2011 Laura Tarling (laurabethell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782596-My-Visit-To-Bath