*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783049-Fundamentals
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #1783049
This was a short story that i wrote for a SAC in year 12. please enjoy
 Fundamentals  (E)
This was a short story that i wrote for a SAC in year 12. please enjoy
#1783049 by QX ~ Brenton->


FUNDAMENTALS:

I watch silently as the sun moves along the horizon to the smog laden sky above the city, this being my daily ritual before I head off to work. I strut down the sidewalk glancing back towards my penthouse. Its grace and style enhanced by the blaze of the sun. While I walk to my office building I make small talk with the other morning regulars of the city. Being admired by so many people definitely has its benefits.

*  *  *

I walk out of my abode, inhaling the sweet sensual morning air, still moist with dew. This is what living in the country is all about the clean fresh air does wonders for my health, I have not been ill for over a decade. Surrounded by trees, it is like being mildly suffocated by nature. Not a care in the world, life is great. I check the letterbox, just in case I was sent something of importance. Who am I kidding? No one in this village respects me. Slightly discouraged, I turn my gaze to my house. It appears mi in comparison to the neighbour’s dwellings. I head to the only place I am not judged. As I caress my way through the overgrown trees covering the path, I eventually reach the summit. I notice a puff of smoke in the distance. Ordinarily I would dismiss the smoke but i cannot shake the feeling of malice.

*  *  *

Relaxed at the mahogany desk, on the top floor of the company’s high rise, I stare out the window. The phone rings wrenching me back to reality. It is another charity company. I give the bare minimum so I still convey the impression that I am a man of the people. Admittedly, I enjoy the company of others but they do not come close to material possessions. A man rams his ay through the door, instantly noticing his yellow hardhat. He is one of them.
“Sir, the team is ready and on stand by.” I nod, grinning with pure greed. This is my most profitable operation yet.

*  *  *

The villager’s faces transform into expressions of disgust as I explain the scene on the hill, they are blinded by their own arrogance. All they can remember is when my family here. We exploited our own town to reap the profits without caring for the earth. We were attempting to spread our wisdom across the land. Here, on the other hand, they protect the land and in return the earth aids in their survival. They still see me in the shadow of my parents. Still believe I am here to alter the village. Little do they know I am the complete opposite of my parents. Why should I bother? They do not even acknowledge my existence. I should leave them and flee from the danger.

*  *  *

As the trucks rampage towards the rendezvous, I watch from my office. Having a building on the border of the city means I can watch the operation. The trucks line up abreast the forest ready to demolish the trees. Impatiently waiting for the events to unfold, anxiety rises within me. What is taking them so long? The phone rings, something is amiss. Heads are going to roll for the money this is going to cost me.
*  *  *

I need to escape from this forest. I reach the end of the woodlands, running up the hill that lies beyond the hols of the forest. I have never felt like I belonged anywhere. I could find a safer forest where I could rebuild. Hurrying down the road I hear a mighty growl shake the trees around me. Do not look back. They would not save me I convinced myself. I will finally be able to fix my broken life and start fresh.

*  *  *

Walking out for lunch, conversing with the people, my uneasiness obviously noticeable. Everyone keeps asking me “what’s the matter?” I sit down in the local café and order my latte. I comfort myself by saying “everything is all right”. I try to distract myself, making mindless conversation with the other patrons of the café. I need to keep my composure in front of these substandard people. I need to make this deadline. I am superior to these people. Money is the only think that sets humans apart from each other. Without money, we are all the same.

*  *  *

Tearing through the trees trying to find my way, I think I am lost in the unfamiliar terrain when it finally comes into view. The village is silent. The only sounds are the leaves rustling with the strong easterlies. Frantically I search the houses for signs of life. I dash up to the hill. I could never leave this place, that is something my parents would do. I am not them. The rest of the villagers are waiting here, having heard the thunderous bellow from the machines they decided to look for the source of the commotion. Startled by the scene they had not moved. We watch as the bulldozers rip through the oaks as easily as twigs, charging across the forest, the town directly in their path. Panic rises as the machines advance. The children begin to cry, no one knows what to do. Someone needs to do something, I look towards the mayor. He is sitting on the ground, head in between his knees, tears trickling down his cheeks, everyone has given up, slumping to the soil, all of their will to live evaporated. I walk back to my house, lean on the door. All hope fades from my spirit. It is over.

*  *  *

The trucks begin to bear down on the vegetation, the only thing between me and two million dollars. Of course I had to fire the driver of the truck, he sabotaged the job. Excitedly I watch as the trucks rip through the forest wall. The sound of the trees breaking and tumbling to the ground barely reaches my ears but nevertheless draws the thin sneer to my face.

*  *  *

I need to save the town. I have nothing to lose. They do not realise I have forsaken my heritage, they do not realise the sacrifices I have made to be accepted. This town is the closest thing I can call home, even without friendship. I need to make them see I am not the silhouette of my parents. I arrive back with a suicidal plan. Everyone is still in distress. When I finish telling my plan to everyone, I realise they are all listening to me. We rally together, marching towards the vehicles. We know it might be a futile plan but we have to protect the town. We stand alongside each other and raise our palms, in a desperate attempt. The plan is failing. We cannot win. We watch as the trucks demolish the rest of the forest.

*  *  *

Walking my usual route to work, I wave to the regulars as I normally do but they just turn away. One man even spits at my shoes. I do not understand. I grab a newspaper and read the headline “Trees sue business”. Under the headline was a complete and detailed explanation of yesterday’s events. Once trees, the best lawyer in town, finishes with me I will have nothing left. This is it, my life is over.

*  *  *

Huddled up on the hill looking at the remains of our village, tears rolling from our eyes. The townsfolk lead the way to a new forest, where they can rebuild. I follow, walking a couple of metres behind. I guess it does not matter what you do, nothing really changes. A young boy runs up next to me and grabs my hand. “Thank you Badger.” I guess this is a start.

WC=1317
© Copyright 2011 QX ~ Brenton-> (aestuo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783049-Fundamentals