*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783669-An-Early-Morning-Shooting
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Community · #1783669
A shotgun blast leads to a unexpected result
In the early morning hours of February 17th, across the virgin snow, a dog howled over its own echoing bark. It was the only sound that broke the silence that morning until a horrible scream drowned out the howling. A single gun shot report killed any other noise that was rolling over the hills. An eerie silence followed as the last gunshot echo rolled over the last hill and for a moment all seemed normal again. But I knew that wouldn't last long as me being the Sheriff of Harstran, was obligated to head into the direction of that silence.

As I drove up the road that led to the Callavern cabin, thick smoke was billowing from the chimney. My truck, in bad need of a muffler, was loud enough to draw attention but still no one greeted me at the door or in the yard. I pulled up to the cabin; close enough to get a good look but far enough to take shelter in the event all shit hit the fan. Still no one. I sat there for a moment more with the truck running just to give them the benefit of the doubt. Now, I knew exactly who lived in the house. Jack, who was in and out of prison a number of times and a seasoned alcoholic, his victimized wife, Sarah who by the grace of God loved him and still thought she could save him, and their son, Grayson who was conceived by a violent act of rape by an unknown assailant some 20 years ago. Things weren't exactly like "Little House on the Prairie" here.

I stepped out of my truck and damn it the snow was crunchy and just pissed me off. I made my way, uneventful, to the front door and was going to knock but then thought better of it. I looked through the dirty side window and could see nothing. Now Dirt, the dog, and yes that was his name because he was an outside dog who only got washed by the rain, would always meet me when I got to the house. Believe it or not there were times when the visits to the Callavern house were more social than legal. No Dirt; the first sign something was wrong.

I walked around the side of the house and looked into another even filthier window. This was the kitchen window and as good a cook as Sarah was she was that bad of a housekeeper. There were dishes on the table but they could have been there since the last time I was at the house. Still no one inside. I continued to walk around to the back of the house knowing this would probably yield what I didn't want to find. I carefully peaked around the corner of the house, a lump in my throat. Nothing, not even the dog was there. I walked around to the back of the house and stood looking at the back door wondering if I should call for back up. Not enough time. If someone were hurt they would have to be found quickly. I drew my gun and turned the doorknob. The door opened easily and without so much as a creak.

I stepped slowly inside looking in every direction as quickly as possible. The fresh smell of gun smoke told me the incident definitely took place inside the house. I carefully stepped down the hallway that was lined with a small lamp table and a closet and the kitchen door was straight ahead. To the right was a half open door that led to the living area. Gun first, I pushed the door open. The room was an absolute disaster. I couldn't tell if there had been a recent scuffle there or not. Still, no one. I moved slowly through the living room until I got to the steps that led to the second floor. Damn it. I'd been up these stairs a hundred times and each time the squeaks were in a different place.

I took each step a slowly as possible and with each new creek my heart dropped a little closed to falling out my ass. Finally I made it to the top of the stairs. A long hallway with doors on both sides and the end of the hallway was the window that overlooked the far side of the house. Every door was open except for one at the very end. By now, I'm sweating profusely and fearing what the scene will be. Only one gunshot and three people and a dog missing? What the hell! I looked in each room as I crept by and it was the eeriest feeling I'd ever experienced. Finally, at the last door, I took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

"Surprise! Happy Birthday! You old bastard! Fooled you good, didn't we?" I thought I was going to have a heart attack. A room full of people, including Jack, Sarah, and Grayson and practically the whole town, including Dirt, were alI cheering. I asked," Who the hell is responsible for this and once I found out there still may be a shooting with no investigation needed! Good friends! Huh! I'll never trust you'll again! Thanks guys. I love you all!"
© Copyright 2011 David Colton (davidcolton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783669-An-Early-Morning-Shooting