*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783835-Conners-Trouble
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1783835
When a mind is slipping...what leads a boy to the edge?
Our story is about seventeen year old Conner Whitten.  He had short, thick, black hair and very large brown eyes like his mother.  He had never been a straight A student and was perfectly fine with that, he was born to cook.  He cooked on Thanksgiving, Christmas, any holiday really. His older sister lived in Manhattan, having actually been able to escape his dump heap of a hometime.  His mom who was practically obsessed with knitting and married to his loyal and hard working father over in France, was the most caring woman on the planet.  Life was good.  Conner attended Benson high and was going to graduate next year.  He was short and skinny, Conner had always been a weak boy, so he never started trouble.
         His best friends were Tommy, a kind of annoying skater whom he had been friends with since kindergarden, and Howard, but everyone called him Woody for some reason?
         One day Conner was laying in bed under his plaid linen watching tv, the phone rang "I got it" he hollered to his mother resting on the couch down stairs.  "Hello" he said drowsily, pushing a lose strand of fluffy, jet black hair out of his eye.  "Hey man, are you getting out of bed today or what, Woody and I were fixing to head to Dexter's house, you coming?"  Conner sighed and rolled his head "I don't know my mom hates that guy" "Are you serious!  I'll come pick you up then".  Conner tried his best to convince Tommy to leave him out, but Tommy was stuborn, and he always made Conner feel guilty, "fine" Conner finally said before slamming the phone back on the hook.  He crawled out of bed and put on his gray hoodie.  Conner cautiously walked down stairs.  He saw his mom knitting a purple mitten, her fine red hair was tied in a tight bun and her glasses were hanging on the end of her nose.  "I'm gonna' hang with Tommy for a little while" his mother smiled and looked up at him through beady brown eyes, "alright, sweetie".  Tommy pulled up in a spray painted station wagon.  Conner ducked inside and immediatly smelled stale body odor, he was used to that smell, that's just Tommy.  Tommy kicked the vehicle into drive and hit the gas, the junker spun out of his yard and rattled down the road.  His hair was long and blonde, his face was covered in zits, and his head was very round.  Sometimes Conner wondered how Tommy stands to go around looking like that.
         When they got to dexter's house it was big and dingy.  Inside it smelled like bread baking.  "Hey guys, what took you so long, that piece of crap car break down again?"  Tommy sucked his teeth, "no we were just debating whether or not we should come see your rank ass." 
         "Conner, long time, no see", Dexter smiled his greasy smile, showing rotten, misplaced teeth.  "Hey Dex" Conner said casually.  They went to Dexter's room which was bare except a computer, chair, a bed, and a dresser.  "Hey, Connie, why don't you and your 'boyfriend' call Woody and get him over here" "Shut up Dexter, you call"  So, Dexter proceeded to the next room and gave Woody a call.
         A couple hours later Woody came over and Conner noticed it was past curfew, "crap I gotta go, I'll come over again soon, see yah Dex"  Conner Started walking down Mulberry Road, he always liked it out here at night, It was strange and quiet. 
         When Conner came through the door his mother was already waiting in the big green armchair.  "Oh, thank God, your three hours late, it's two thirty, where have you been?"  Conner rolled his eyes "I was just over at Tommy's house, we were playing world of warcraft.  Don't worry so much"  He gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and made himself a glass of milk.
         The next day Conner met up with Woody at school.  " I can't stand Dexter, why does Tommy hang around him" Woody said in his wierd "smooth" voice he always did at school.  Woody was the opposite of Tommy, he was preppy and clean, with short hair and dark skin.  "I don't know" Conner said with a shrug.  Kaitlynn, Conner's kind of aquaintance walked over and made a crack about his shoes, she seemed to think she was his friend but Conner didn't like her much.  "Hi" he said and kept walking, he could hear Kailynn growl slightly under her breath.  Gina was standing nearby and Conner, along with everyone else at Benson high, liked her.  She was smart, sweet, nice to everyone, and just helplessly beautifull.  "Hey Gina, have you heard that new song" Conner's sentence broke as Kaitlynn hopped in front of him and gave Gina a hug.  "Why can't you say hi to me" Kailynn questioned with her dorky smile.  "I do say hi to you" he said defiantly.  He usually only talked to her when Gina was there.  "Woody was acting so funny yesterday, he slept kept wobbling around and grabbing onto the wall, he even tripped over his own two feet. Weird huh?" Gina said grinning to show her radiant teeth.  Gina was referring to one of Woody's dizzy spells, which he liked to keep a secret.  "Yeah that isn't really like him" Conner agreed.  "I trip over my feet all the time" Kaitlynn joked.  Conner thought to himself "big surprise".  "True" Gina giggled, her short, wavy brown hair bounced as she turned to look behind her.  "Ooh, I gotta go, see you later, Conner" she said getting her things.  "Gina is kinda strange sometimes, but that's what makes her special" Kailynn said still grinning.  Kaitlynn had long frizzly black hair, light, discolored skin, and a very thin, shapeless body.  It wasn't that she was ugly, she just wasn't pretty. 
         When Conner got home he crammed all night and got ready for the next day. 
         At school he saw Gina again, he didn't usually care much for girls, but Gina was...Gina.  "Hey, long legs" he said smiling.  "Hi" she said, her rosy cheeks, accented her light blue eyeshadow.  "I was just wondering,...........do you.......wanna ...go out" Conner bit his lip, his stomach turned.  "Oh, um..." Gina took a deep breath, "ok".  Conner's eyes widened he smiled, "cool, I'll see you later".  "Ok then, bye".  Conner made it a top priority to tell everyone the good news, he wasn't girl crazy but hey, Gina isn't every girl.
         Everyone pretended not to care, but Conner knew they were either happy for him or jealous.  At lunch that day Kaitlynn came over and again, tried to talk to Conner,"I heard you asked Gina out, that's sweet", Conner ignored her.  Kaitlynn made a face that showed discontent, she walked away into a crowd of strangers.
         The following month Conner was with Gina alot.  One day he even made supper for her as a date, she loved it, he knew she would.  There was roast duck, stuffing, salad, and breadsticks.  Gina said it was "divine".  Everything was fine, and getting better all the time.
         Conner was in a good mood that night, he went to bed early, ten 'o' clock.  He rested peacefully until about one am.  He heard a crash in the kitchen followed by his mother laughing.  He drowsily walked to the kitchen door to see his mother making coffee and a strange man sitting at the table, he was very muscular, but composed.  "Mom" Conner was confused.  "Honey, I thought you were asleep" she tried to act casual.  "Who's that" Conner grumbled, his sleepy eyes were half closed.  "This is Jared" she said with an awkward smile.  "Okay, great, and what the hell is Jared doing here" Conner said more awake and angry.  "You haven't told him about me" Jared said looking at his mother with distant eyes.  "I couldn't, I'm still married to his dad and-" her sentence broke off.  "Yeah, you are, and first thing in the morning I'm calling him.  Then I can tell him all about how you brought Jared over in the middle of the night" Conner was furious, but he couldn't hurt his mother.  He raked all the dishes on the table to the floor in a quick sweep of his arm, making a loud clattering noise.  His mother jumped, Jared just looked uncomfortable.  Giving his mother one final look of disgust he stormed back to bed.
         At shcool the next day, Tommy told him about a party at Dexter's house.  Conner couldn't wait to go, as long as he was away from his mother. 
         When he got there he was surprised to see Kaitlynn, nobody liked her, well, almost nobody.  At least nobody he knew liked her, she must have invited herself, he thought.  It was already dark, a little after eight.  "Hey, woah, cool pants" Kailynn smiled, she was being nice-ish lately.  Dexter had a fire burning in the backyard, and nothing but coolers and lawn furniture to sit on, a typical backyard get-together.
         An hour later Dexter had already broke out the booze.  Conner didn't drink usually, his mom didn't like it but his business was his business now.  He had a couple drinks and noticed Kaitlynn roll her eyes a couple times, she had a problem with drinking.  Dexter was too busy making an idiot out of himself to notice.  His good friend, Tommy was having fun, somehow.  Conner leaned over to Tommy "Kailynn's over there acting like a stuck up little bitch" he said.  Tommy looked like this was intriguing information and added "She is isn't she".  He looked up at Kailynn, "hey, why aint you drinking anything?"  Kaitlynn looked both embarrassed and angry, she was the only person that could make that wierd face "because, there's nothing to drink but booze" .  "So, drink up" Conner smirked.  "I have a better idea, why don't you go get me something to drink because I don't know where Dexter's fridge is".  "How about no" Conner retorted.  "Fetch me a drink, slave" Kailynn joked.  " Bitch, get it yourself" Conner didn't think it was funny.  "shut up,  asshole" Kailynn said just before attempting to ignore him.  "Bitch, who do you think you are" Tommy blurted.  Kailtynn jumped up and walked toward the two.  "Get your ugly ass outa' here" Conner bellowed.  Gina was rushing over due to the noise, everyone else was watching from a distance.  Kaitlynn hit Conner's shoulder turning red in the face.  Conner shoved her back onto Dexter's dusty backyard lawn.  Kailynn growled, infuriated she decided to walk away, but Conner wouldn't let that happen, she would either finish what she started or keep her mouth shut.  He grabbed Kaitlynn's sleeve, she jerked away as Conner slung her to the ground.  "Conner, leave her alone" Gina screamed.  Kaitlynn's lower lip trembled as she wiped angry tears from her eye, "go to hell" she said before leaving the party.  Conner was still angry so he decided to talk to Gina, but he raised his voice so much one might get the impression that he was yelling.  Gina explained that she deserved to be pushed but he should have just let her leave.
         Conner calmed down and spent the next fourty minutes with Gina, telling everyone what a bitch Kailynn was.  Usually nobody would really pay attention, but with Gina on his side everyone agreed, Kailynn was the dumbest, little ho' at Benson High. 
         A while later Gina left and it was just Dexter, Tommy, three heroine junkies, and Conner.  Dexter was totally wasted, but Conner was enjoying some alone time, anyway.
         When Conner got home he wasn't surprised to see Jared watching tv in the living room.  Conner went straight to his private bathroom and puked his guts up.  Ofcourse, he spent the next day in bed, begging his mother to stop checking in on him.  She was worried, but not too worried.  Conner was alomost asleep when his mother came and sat at his bedside.  "Conner, honey I've been dating Jared for a while now and I just didn't know how to tell you.  Believe me, I feel awful about it,  but your father hasn't been here.  Don't you want me to be happy.  I'm your mother, and your my son...I want you to be happy" She was frowning at him but speaking softly, she brushed his hair out of his eyes.  Conner looked up at her and said "I guess if you like Jared, it's none of my business.  You've got your life, and I've got mine."  His mother smiled, she liked the sound of that.
         When Conner came to school the next day everyone was talking about how much of an idiot Kaitlynn was and how Gina was "so right about her".  When Conner asked Gina about all this she put it simple "She shouldn't be so annoying".  Conner and Gina were an unstoppable couple. Gina was happy with Conner, she was spoiled for a Benson girl.  Conner's cooking always won her over, and if Conner wanted something from anybody, he'd just ask Gina.  Conner had gotten the whole school to see just how worthless Kailynn was, thanks to Gina. The best part was, Kaitlynn stopped talking to people all together, she was a total outcast, and the whole school had him to thank for getting her out of thier hair.  Although she never really did anything that annoying, the way Gina told the story, anyone would believe it.
         That night, Conner invited Gina over to have dinner at his place, he wanted her to meet the asshole that moved in and try his new and improved apple pie.  Little did she know, he had a surprise gift for her.  It seemed Gina was the light of his life right now, he wasn't obsessive or anything though, it was just a bracelet. 
         Gina was amazed at his new recipee, she said it was "to die for".  Conner would never forget the way her eyes lit up when she opened the bracelet.  He'd always remember her like that.  The silver glinted in her eyes and her lips were drawn into a big, pretty smile.  Then it was time to show exactly why he hated Jared so much.  He showed her to the den where Jared sat reading a book.  "Hey kid, is this the girl I've heard so much about, I'm surprised she puts up with you, girls like this usually want a real man" he said, laughing as if he was the best thing since sliced bread.  "Hi, I'm Gina" she said with a smirk.  He got a wierd look in his eye and gave her a hug, rubbing her back as if offering condolence.  Gina tried to step out of the hug, but she was also trying not to be rude.  "I hope to see alot of you" Jared said in a sensual, whispery voice, like he didn't want Conner to hear, he gave a strange vibe.  Conner looked disgusted at him, he walked Gina to the door.  After saying thier good-nights Conner came back inside.
         He was walking down the hall and just when he got to the den's doorway Jared proclaimed "She's a hot little Mama, idn't she Conner?"  Conner's stomach bubbled up and he snapped "shut your frickin' mouth, Jared or get the fuck outta' my house!".  Jared put his book down in the chair and popped his neck.  As he approached Conner you could see the difference in size more and more.  Soon he was towering over Conner.  He grabbed Conner by the back of the neck and yanked him into the kitchen across the hall.  "Okay you little son of a bitch, I'll teach you a lesson about who's the boss of this house" Jared was screaming in Conner's ear.  He grabbed a knife from the dish rack.  Conner tried to get away but he was pinned against the counter.  His face was crammed into the countertop, he could hardly breathe.  Conner didn't know what he was doing, he just knew his mother wasn't home.  Jared put the knife against the top of Conner's ear and the sliced the upper half off in one sudden chop .  He could feel the sticky heat of blood run down his face.  Conner let out his breath but he wouldn't dare give Jared the satisfaction of hearing him scream.  Conner pulled himself away and tried to hit Jared, he didn't hit very hard.  Jared snatched a pan that was hanging above the sink and smashed it into Conner's face, over and over and over.  Eventually he just... fell unconcious. 
         At school the next day when everyone asked what happened to him he said he got attacked by a stray dog, Gina made it so.
         A month later Kaitlynn had started getting her courage and confidence up again.  She had made new friends and looked to be enjoying herself once more.  Conner was late for class, the day was almost over, there was no point in going now.  Kaitlynn was standing by the girl's bathroom door.  She didn't know what to do so she said "hey Conner, how have you been".  "What" he asked.  Smiling awkwardly she joked "What're you deaf?  I said how ya' been!"  Conner's face got hot.  He grabbed her neck and slammed her head into the wall.  "What are you doing" Kaitlynn screached.  He bashed her head on the wall over and over again until she fell to the floor.  "Open your mouth again" he threatened, hissing in her ear "I dare you."  Kaitlynn scrambled down the hall and out the door.           
         Conner went into the boy's bathroom and locked himself in a stall.  He realized he would have to make this act seem provoked.  He took Gina's nail file out of his pocket.  Slowly, Conner dragged the pointed edge across his face, he smiled.  With a wild look in his dark, brown eyes he...laughed.  "This'll show her."  Conner told Gina that Kaitlynn scratched him in the face, when all he did was try to say hi, he said she was acting like a raging bitch.  Gina was appauled at "Kaitlynn's behavior".  The entire school soon knew what Kaitlynn had done.
         The next day at school, there was police tape blocking off a section of the school.  Immediatly, Conner thought of Gina.  He found Gina outside about twenty minutes before the bell was to ring.  Gina was bawling and wiping her face on her green hoodie.  "Gina, what happened" he said grabbing her shoulders.  "It's Kaitlynn" Gina choked.  Conner shook Gina violently "What about Kaitlynn" he questioned.  Gina's knees buckled and she slid to the pavement.  "She killed herself, last night at school.  She got a phone call from Woody about what she did to you.  It pushed her over"  Gina whimpered under her breath.  "She didn't do anything to me" the words slipped from Conner's mouth.  "What" Gina's crying had subsided a bit.  "You lied, you son of a bitch.  You lied" Gina was wailing at the top of her lungs.  "This is all your fault.  You killed Kaitlynn".  Conner started shaking.  He stormed away from Gina and looked for the investigation scene.
         There she was, Kaitlynn was laying there, with her brains splattered across the wall.  Her small, pale face was dripping with blood and a hole was blown straight from her neck and up through her skull.  There was something about the dark vulnerability of her... she was beautifull now.  Conner took out his camera phone and took picture after picture of the corpse.  A police officer chased him away, but that didn't matter. Conner had what he wanted.  The pictures were beautifull, Kaitlynn was beautifull.  He looked at them alone in the boy's room, how he loved Kaitlynn now.          
         Conner made dinner for the selfish couple he lived with, his mother and Jared.  He made supper every night.  But one night Conner went to Dexter's house.  Tommy was there, Conner hadn't seen him since he started hanging out with the junkies.  Tommy was on something too, anyone could see it in his face... just not natural.  Dexter had Conner come up stairs, Tommy was busy in the bathroom...for twenty minutes.  When he came out he looked scared, his eyes were bulging out of his skull.  "Hey man, you don't mind if I..." Tommy looked dead serious, needle in hand.  "Only if you start freaking out" Conner said, normaly he would have scolded Tommy and tried to help...but Conner didn't care, he was just here to get away from Jared.  Before the night was done Conner had several little dots on his arm too...  just a little prick, he told himself...just a little prick.
         When he got home Jared was waiting at the table.  "You are supposed to cook dinner you little shit" he said looking at him with a dark stare...he had been waiting there for a while.  "Fine I'll make you a grilled cheese" Conner said getting annoyed.  "I don't want that crap, make me some chicken like you were supposed to" Jared was annoyed too.  Conner put a pan on the stove and opened the bread "I'm making you a grilled cheese" he said adamantly.  "Don't try me" Jared growled.  "Mom will be home in about twenty minutes" Conner said thinking he had won the argument.  "Like she cares" Jared had a point, "Make me the damn chicken or you can lose the rest of your ear" he demanded.  Conner put the cheese sandwitch in the pan.  Jared jumped from his chair and grabbed Conner by his hair.  He mashed Conner's face into the hot pan.  Conner screamed, he screamed so hard he couldn't breathe.  Jared let him go and laughed until he was wheezing and grasping his chest, his eyes were even watering.  He had the ordasity to point and laugh in Conner's face.  It was burning...it was on fire, he held his cheek.  "You're making chicken" Jared said lightly slapping conner on his burn, with a menacing look in the eye.  Conner smiled graciously, "ofcourse" he said.
         His mother arrived shortly after.  "Conner, honey, what happened to your face" his mother was horrified.  "Bee stings" he said giving a short heckle.  His mother sighed shaking her head.  Conner returned to the kitchen.  He let the chicken marinate in lemon pepper juice. 
         Conner followed his mom into the den where Jared was resting on the sofa.  "Hey honey, I got you something"  he said grinning that crooked smile.  "Oh, you didn't have to" she said with the sweetest look on her face.  Jared pulled a box out of his pocket, "I love you" Jared said opening it to reveal a sparkling diamond necklace.  "Oh, Jared...it's beautifull.  I love you so much" his mother gushed.  Conner's mother gave Jared a soft kiss.  Jared loved the look on Conner's face, pure helplessness.  Conner felt as if he had just slipped into a black, cold world.
         Conner returned to the kitchen.  He pulled out a bottle of lemon pledge.  Slowly, carefully, Conner poured it into the chicken injector.  "Yummy" he said sarcasticly as the needle plunged in.  Then, Conner slid the chicken into the oven...he couldn't wait for supper!
         Jared, Conner, and his mother sat at the kitchen table.  Conner volunteered to cut the poultry awaiting the unsuspecting couple.  As conner cut into the lemon pepper chicken Jared licked his lips and smirked menicingly at Conner. 
         Later that night Conner awoke to the sound of violent vomiting.  His emother was in his bathroom...and Jared was down the hall...puking their guts up.  Conner smiled, he sighed...quite satisfied, he rolled over in his bed and continued to rest. 
         The next morning Conner made breakfast, french toast.  Then he dumped more pledge into a pitcher of tea..."this should finish em' off" Conner said calmly...as if he weren't even bothered by the fact that he was poisoning his mother.  Jared and Conner's mom looked fatigued and sickly pale.  "I'm going to Dexter's later" Conner said brightly.  "Whatever" his mother said holding her head in one shaky hand.  "I think I have a flu" Jared whined.  "ooh, you poor dear" mother cooed, brushing her hand over his forehead. 
         Another ordinary day at Dexter's place went by, needle by needle.  When Conner got home an ambulance was waiting on his lawn.  Conner looked dazed.  After much questioning he discovered that the neighbor called 911 after hearing a disturbing sound coming from inside.  The paramedic explained that his parents would be okay and that it would be best if he came to the hospital to help answer questions.  Conner refused to come, he wanted to watch a new episode of family guy and...
         When Conner approached the restroom he saw a trail of vomit leading to the door...an ugly sight indeed.  "why didn't they die" Conner thought to himself, "It's not like they didn't deserve it" Conner grimaced.  He heard  a Stranger's voice say "they're scum".  The word's echoed through his head then faded.  That surprised him...it was quite unusual.
         After cleaning up the the house Conner invited Gina over for coffee and cake.  Gina was reluctant but came anyway.  She was rather quiet and didn't want to talk much.  She had just done her makeup and still smelled like powder.  "I have to go to Kaitlynn's funeral at four" Gina said looking at the clock.  "Okay, good I'll come too...it's the least I can do" Conner spoke casually.  Gina collected her things and Conner led her to the door.
         When the couple arrived Conner wasn't surprised to see a bunch of mourners, strangers, and all the people that devoted thier lives to making Kaitlynn miserable.  Although most of them didn't give a crap about Kaitlynn when she was alive...they sure did now.  Gina found her mom and distanced herself from Conner.  Conner didn't care, he was too distracted, he spent the whole funeral glaring at the closed casket.  "Why would they cover her up, we all know what she looks like"  Conner thought to himself.  Suddenly the crowd stood and scuffled to the coffin laying roses on top, disgusting. 
         Conner was the last to stand, he had no roses but approached her anyway.  Conner ran his fingers accross the finely polished wood.  In the blink of an eye Conner snatched open the lid, dumping all the flowers to the dirt, there lay Kaitlynn pale and disfigured, a nasty hole ran through her forehead...but it had been clean now.  Conner's eyes darted to and fro; he leaned down to her cold bones and laid a kiss upon Kaitlynn's cheek.  The other guests gasped and some shrieked.  Gina ran to him and snatched Conner away.  "What is your problem" Gina asked, completely exasperated.  "Don't be mad at me" Conner said stroking her fluffy brown hair.  "Give me your phone" Gina demanded.  Conner handed her the phone without question.  Gina flipped it open and gave a look of pure shock.  Her eyes started watering.  "What" Conner shrugged his shoulders.  "Get away from me...that picture...just not normal...your a freak"  Gina's voice cracked, she dropped Conner's phone in the dirt.  On the screen was a snapshot of Kaitlynn.  Gina was trembling again, she ran to her mustang and climbed into the driver's seat. 
         Conner watched her leave thinking to himself "You're dead to me".
         Conner decided to go by Tommy's house for a minute, just to pick up a little something.  About fifteen minutes later Conner had already injected himself and was sitting on his bed staring at the wall, at....Gina.
         Conner was grinning, he said to himself "I knew you'd come back to me".  The figment of Gina furrowed her eyebrows.  "You dumped me, and....I know your sorry....and I forgive you"  Conner put his arms out into the air reaching for a hug from Gina. These thoughts made him happy.  Even now as his head swam and his thoughts raced, he loved Gina dearly.
         
         It was Thanksgiving day.  Conner was lonely, he hadn't seen Gina in a while.  He scuffled down stairs and zipped up his coat. 
         When Conner got to Gina's house he noticed that nobody was home.  He desperately wanted to see her.  Conner knew he had to be reasonable, so he climbed through Gina's bedroom window and decided to wait patiently in her closet, it smelled just like her.  About two hours later he heard the doorknob wiggle and Gina's door creaked open.  Conner stared through the crack of her door and watched as Gina threw down her hoodie and reached for his "waiting room" door.  When she snatched the closet open she gasped and looked completely shocked, her bright green eyes were wide and frightened.  Conner lunged out and squeezed Gina tight.  "Conner get off me"  she yelped.  Conner was quivering, he whispered "don't leave me like that again, don't be like her.  I love you Gina, I'll never let you go".  "Conner" She screamed completely helpless in his grip.  Gina never had been a strong girl either.  Conner's stomach dropped and he could no longer choke back his tears.  He dropped to the floor in a hopeless heap.  "Conner, you need to leave...now"  Gina was serious.  Conner wiped his eyes and said "but I thought you wanted me back".  Gina just shook her head and pointed at the door looking both confused and angry.  Conner's cheek twitched as he stood up from her plush pink carpet and he dragged his feet through her doorway.  That bitch Conner thought to himself. 
         Conner got home and noticed something peculiar... Kaitlynn was in his bathroom, sitting on his clean, white tile flooring.  Even Conner was shocked by the image.  She still had a bullet hole in her head, but now it was rotten and black.  "Kaitlynn, Your dead" Conner said, eyes still watery and completely bewildered.  "No, Conner...they buried me alive"  kaitlynn spoke softly, "please, help me, I miss you...I always liked you...and you knew.  I won't treat you like Gina...I promise, come save me, Conner!" Kaitlynn cried.  Conner nodded.  Kaitlynn's words were blunt, but he knew what he had to do.
Conner had drove to the graveyard late that night and rather franticly uncovered Kaitlynn's coffin, throwing dirt everywhere.  He threw the lid open and looked down to see kaitlynn smiling with a new look of hope.  Conner helped Kaitlynn out of her box and walked her to his car.  He was covered in mud, dirt, and grime.  Conner had the greatest time with Kaitlynn, chatting her ear off.  He looked at Kaitlynn, she was absolutely beautiful.  He couldn't help but grin.  "You wanna see how fast this car goes" Conner asked, raising an eyebrow.  Kaitlynn nodded she was practically on the edge of her seat.  Conner hit the gas, the car went racing down the street like a flash of lightning, he whooped into the night and Kaitlynn was laughing like a fiend.  He pulled onto a little dirt road, at the end there was a tiny pond, Conner stopped and stared out at the night.  He held Kaitlynn's hand, Conner remembered the day his father took him here to fish, one of the greatest days of his life.
  At three in the morning, Conner scurried down stairs...to the basement.  When he came to the last step he looked up and smiled at kaitlynn.  She was sitting on his old couch with her head tilted in an unnatural manner, her neck looked broken.  Kaitlynn's lips were white and dry.  The hole in her forehead was worse now, black and dry with broken fragments of her skull.  She was wearing a white frilly dress that was slightly stained with embalming fluid.  Conner approached the precious cadaver with two glasses full of violet red wine.  "I got this for us" Conner said touching Kaitlynn's cool, room temperture cheek. Conner smiled at "Kaitlynn" and asked "aren't you going to drink you must be awfully thirsty after all this time".  He looked at the corpse and shook his head as a mother does at her mischievious little child.  "Here, drink" He said lifting the glass to her lips.  The wine dripped out of the corners of Kaitlynn's mouth.

         
         
         
         Jared was again, sitting in the den reading his fine literature when he heard Conner's mother yelp from the computer room.  "Karen, honey...is everything okay?" he asked.  "Could you get me a lightbulb from the basement?" Karen raised her voice a little.  "yeah, I'll get it" he said getting up from his chair.  He trampled down the stairs and immediatly noticed Kaitlynn's figure sitting on the couch.  "What the hell" Jared bellowed.  Conner sat up straight in his bed, his eyes full of alarm.  By the time he had made his way to the basement both Jared and Karen were standing in front of the couch slightly twitching as though they had seen a ghost.  "Do you know where this came from" Karen asked calmly.  "Yeah, it's Kaitlynn" Conner said smoothly.  "That little girl from your school" Jared asked.  "yep" Conner replied.  "Do you mind telling me what the hell she's doing in our house!" he raised his voice.  "I..." Conner had nothing to say, he didn't see why this was such an ordeal, she needed a place to stay and she hardly makes a peep.  "Conner...Kaitlynn is dead...do you realize that?" Karen said softly.  Jared was horrified at the sight of the cadaver and slowly stepped backward.  "Your kid's messed up Karen, call the cops" Jared said to Conner's mother.  "No, he doesn't deserve that, he's just a little...mixed up" she said staring longinly into Conner's eyes.  Karen stepped over so that she was practically breathing down Conner's neck.  She kissed his cheek softly and whispered goodbye.  Karen turned around with tears weighing along the border of her eyes like a bathtub nearly to overflow.  Jared gently took her hand and they turned to leave the room.
         "Mom, where are you going" conner asked with sincerity in his voice. "You need help, Conner" she whispered as sofly as she could.  "So" Conner said coldly.  "I'm gonna get you help" Karen said with a heavy heart.  Conner shoved past his mother and Jared as he darted up the stairs.  Once at the top of the steps he slammed the door shut and locked it.  Conner shuffled through his mother's bedroom, searching franticly through his father's closet.  He grabbed his dad's rifle and took several shallow breaths as he loaded the gun.  Conner could hear Jared trying to kick the door down so he hastened as he ran down the hall.  When he arrived before the basement door he pointed the gun steadily at where he suspected Jared to be.  Suddenly the door burst open and a shot rang out into the house.  Jared dropped to the floor instantly, his limbs still twitching from nerves that weren't quite prepared.  Karen screamed and rushed to Jared. Karen wailed and bawled trying to snap him out of it, as though Jared were only dreaming.  After realizing he was undoubtedly dead she stood to run to the telephone.  Conner stepped in her way and grimaced at her, his eyes wild and cruel.  He bashed her in the face with the butt of his rifle.  Each time he could see a new line of blood running down her face, each time he could see a new deformity.  Finally, Karen fell unconcious and lay on the floor bleeding, teeth in the carpet beside her.  Conner grabbed his mother by her soft, pale hands and dragged her down the hall and into her bedroom.  He tied her with some of his father's old belts and two shoestrings.  Conner dumped her into the closet and locked the door. 
         As conner went to check on Kaitlynn he found himself growing guilt in the pit of his stomach.  He sat on the sofa beside his darling cadaver and kissed her on the cheek.  "I've taken care of them for you, love" Conner said cocking his head to the side with a sweet, endearing smile.  Suddenly the life left his face and his whole body buckled.  Conner held his head between his knees with total fear and confusion.  He cried, he moaned he leaned onto Kaitlynn's body and squeezed her tight.  He squeeked and hiccuped as a child who had just stubbed thier toe or bumped thier head would do.  "What did I do, Kaitlynn"  Conner said straining his voice.  "Oh, God"  Conner screamed..."oh my God".  Conner was overwhelmed, he tore at his throat with his fingernails wailing "oh my god" again and again.  Conner was utterly destroyed inside.  He tore at his whole body, his back, his stomach, his arms, his neck, leaving deep scrapes across his skin.  Conner was screaming so that he almost sounded angry but unquestionably broken.  All of a sudden he stopped, wiping the tears from his face and focusing on the wall before him.  "It's okay, Conner...they were going to hurt me, you did what you had to do.  It was sweet.  But, I've been meaning to ask you if you could take me to see Gina"  Kaitlynn cooed to Conner with bright eyes.  "I would but...she'd think I'm crazy...everyone thinks your dead and..." Conner reasoned with Kaitlynn for quite some time before he went into the kitchen.  Conner decided to make a phone call to Gina...but she didn't answer.  Conner decorated the christmas tree and sent Gina a present.  He watched t.v. for a few minutes... 
         A knock came on the door, Conner looked out through the kitchen window and saw several police cars outside the house...damn nosy neighbors.  Conner decided to play like nobody was home.  He climbed the staircase and ran to his mother's closet.  He flung the door open and saw his mother inside, her face was swollen and bloody, but she was awake now and completely petrified.  Conner grabbed Karen by her hair and yanked her out of the closet, she screamed behind the leather belt over her mouth.  Conner franticly untied his mother and let her go.  She watched him closely for a moment, Karen didn't understand, she darted downstairs.  Conner had to think quick.  Soon enough he came bursting through the back door with his hoodie on and his hands in his pockets.  Conner was running down the street and he could hear his mother's frightened cries.  He was making his escape.
         Conner was striding through the streets taking every back way possible in order to ilude the police.  Conner had not been sruck with fear so much as panic.  He ran as fast as his legs would carry him and eventually made it to Tommy's house.  He burst through the door and stormed to Tommy's room.  Tommy jumped up from his chair, startled by Conner's sudden arrival.  "What are you doing, man...I haven't seen you in days.  Are you feeling okay?"  Tommy looked nearly as panicked as Conner.  "I'm fine...I need to borrow your car, dude...NOW"  Connner was nearly jumping out of his skin.  "No, sit down...what's going on?" Tommy urged.
         "I need your car" Conner said, his eyes were like baseballs.  Conner pulled out a needle, "you can have it, let me take your car" Conner placed it on the desk, grabbed Tommy's keys and rushed out of the house, Tommy was too freaked out to do anything...that, and Conner's deal wasn't half bad. 
         Conner barely got the car started before he peeled out of Tommy's driveway.  Conner was driving full speed through the streets as he turned here and there, finally making it to the interstate.  Conner was passing every car in his way, he didn't know where he was going, he just knew he had to get as far away from his little town as possible.  Conner drove until he made it to the third rest stop of the night. It was small and had two little buildings, one a men's room, one a women's.  He jumped out of the station wagon and rushed into the bathroom.  Conner was breathing so heavily that one might think he was having and asma attack.  "Gotta stay up, I can't go to sleep...oh shit, oh shit" Conner was pacing over the bathroom tiles running his fingers through his sweaty hair.  Conner turned the faucet and let it warm until he could feel the heat coming from the porcilen and steam rolled from it.  He cupped the water in his hands and threw it on his face, his scars bubbled a little, Conner sucked his teeth.  Conner's stomach turned, he felt sick, very sick.  Again, he found himself tearing at his neck, drawing blood, growling under his breath.  His eyes darted at the mirror, his hands, his reflection in the faucet, his shoes, the blood on his fingertips, the mirror, Kaitlynn, his shoes.  The world around him had changed, he was the only person alive now, utterly alone.  A man walked into the bathroom and washed his hands staring at Conner, looking a little stirred at the scratches on his neck.  Conner didn't see him.  Conner stepped through the door, looking wildly at the world around him.  The rest stop had a few dark green trees, and two stone benches, Conner couldn't see the couple necking on the grass.  He looked into the sky, it was dark blue with black clouds. 
         Tears rose in Conner's eyes, "Why...why am I alone?" he said to the sky.  "Where is everybody?" Conner was rather nervous.  He strode off through the small patch of forest on the other end of the rest stop's tiny stretch of land.  Dark, smoke ran over the grass and around Conner's ankles.  A strange melody was in the air, voices hissed at him, it taunted Conner, it told him the world was ending in an unnatural way.  Conner started running, his leather boots leaving scuffs in the ground.  The pattering of his very own feet made him want to die, how desparately he needed silence.  Suddenly, Conner dropped, screaming when he hit the ground.  He moaned, and rolled onto his back.  He pulled large tuffs of grass from the soil, making a ripping sound and leaving dirt under his nails.  Conner was broken.  He screamed again, as if he was in agony.  His throat was nearly bleeding, he grabbed his neck again, then he squeezed his stomach.  Conner let out another groan.  "Damn It, God Damn It" Conner was yelping and gasping for air.  Conner dragged his nails down his cheeks leaving streaks of mud.  He kicked the dirt, and picked up his back, lifting his stomach into the air. 
         Out of the blue, Conner silenced himself and walked back to the station wagon.  The couple stared at him as he walked by, they had been watching him...but Conner couldn't see them, everyone had become dust.  Conner started his car pulling out onto the interstate.  He drove for hours, until the car started to slow, the engine was no longer running, he was obviously out of gas.  Conner got out of his vehicle.  The cars around him, had no drivers...it was no good hitch-hiking.  Conner kicked the wheels of Tommy's station wagon, a chuckle cracked the air, Conner couldn't hear it.  As he walked he was wary of the cars wizzing past him, but no one was controlling them.  Conner was again taking great strides, looking confused and nervous to the world around him.  When Conner had made it to another rest stop he made his way to the restroom, he saw a man's wallet on the bathroom counter, and to his warped vision no one was around, so he stuffed it into his pocket.  Suddenly the world had rushed back to him as the owner pinned Conner against the wall and reached into his pocket for the wallet.  However, because Conner's eyes were so pathetic and afraid, not to mention how much smaller Conner was than he, the man did not harm the boy.  He dropped Conner on the tile.
         Conner felt as if he had been hit by a train, he realized that something wasn't right, he was slipping in and out of reality.  He was overwhelmed with sadness. Tears filled Conner's eyes, he remembered his mother's homemade pie, and the day he learned how to cook, he remembered the day his father took Conner to Disney World, and how he punched the cashier at the giftshop for flirting with his mom, Conner remembered how Gina's eyes lit up when she had tasted his apple pie, but most of all he remembered sitting at the lake with his mother, father, and his sister all singing "Ruby Tuesday",  then he saw Jared dead,  the hole directly in his face.  Conner's head wobbled, he felt dizzy.  When he walked outside he saw a man smoking, he was tall and dark, probably on his way to see his family.  "You alright kid" the man questioned.  Conner spoke " I'm fine, dickweed".  The guy flicked his ciggarette butt at Conner, who stood there watching him looking absolutely outraged.  The man opened his mouth to speak again, instead of his voice he heard Jared say " Piss off, half-pint", he bit his lip and snorted like the pig he was.  Conner pulled out a nife he kept in his pocket and dragged it down the man's chest, then across his neck, the man choked a moment.  Conner continued to stab at the man, even after he was in a heap on the pavement.  When he looked up he saw Kaitlynn staring at him with both disappointment and sorrow.  Conner gritted his teeth, "I'm sorry" Conner said, he shoved the blade into himself so that it was just under his ribcage, his eyes grew wide again.  Blood spurted from his mouth, the world grew fuzzy and he slid down the wall and sat there, staring at Kaitlynn.  She was wearing a long, flowy dress, standing just under the streetlight in front of the rest stop, she tilted her head and smiled sweetly at Conner just before he fell into a deep sleep. 
         When Conner awoke he was bandaged and lying in a hospital bed.  Outside his room Conner could see a typical looking doctor in a classic white smock and a skinny bald man in a suit fidgeting with his glasses as he stared at a clipboard.  They chatted for about ten minutes, the bald guy walked into his room, he had a little name plate that read Belding.  "Mr. Whitten, Do you know a young woman named Gina?  She recieved a disturbing package in the mail shortly after Christmas"  Mr. Belding said raising his eyebrows at Conner.  "Oh, do you mean Kaitlynn" Conner asked " But I guess to you it's just a head in a box" he said grinning, his eyes on fire, Conner laughed so hard he couldn't breath.  Mr. Belding said nothing, he just stood there looking utterly shocked.  " Send him away" Belding said, getting up from his chair. Two men were standing outside his door.  The men entered and grabbed Conner out of bed by his arms.  Gina was standing at the end of the hall crying and wiping her eyes, Conner snatched away from the men, but they were too strong for him.  "Merry Christmas, Gina"  Conner shouted, laughing hysterically, "Merry Christmas" he yelled again and again smiling and yanking at his arms trying to escape the men's grasp still looking entirely evil, like a demon.  Conner later found himself in a padded room, sitting in a straight jacket.  Conner was like a statue for a few hours sitting there in his silence, his world driven only by the sound of his breath.  Then he realized that there was no escape, "I don't want to live like this" Conner's voice cracked.  He stood and looked around, the padding wasn't all that soft.  Conner backed up to one wall and ran full speed into the wall on the other side, he rammed his head into the wall again and agian as hard as he could.  First, Conner's nose went bloody, then he busted his lip, blacked his eyes. 
         A couple hours later Conner's physicatrist came to tell him he had a visitor.  When he opened the door the first thing he noticed was the blood running down the wall across from him.  Belding looked down to see Conner, lying with his eyes open and glazed over, his face was covered in blood.  A few trails ran through the blood where Conner's tears had pushed it's way over the stains.Conner was dead, his skull had been crushed and his neck broken. Conner looked completely helpless on the floor, bound and beaten, his ear half gone, almost like a puppy who can't find his way home.  Only two people attended Conner's funeral, his father and a girl named Kaitlynn...
© Copyright 2011 Heather (fairest_hippie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1783835-Conners-Trouble