*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1786340-Workshop-Focus-on-Fiction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Bulletin · Writing.Com · #1786340
Each Wednesday a new lesson, with practice exercises. Focus on details + other aspects.
In the tradition of

the Ultimate Writing Workshop . . .




Each Wednesday I will offer specific tactics for improving your fiction writing. Whether you're a young aspiring novelist, or a writer with a few stories under your belt, this workshop will give you an opportunity to read sections of the Write Great Fiction Series in "Writer's Digest" books by writing professionals Nancy Kress, James Scott Dell, and Ann Hood.

Each week the workshop will offer a new item in the workshop folder with readings on some specific aspect of writing fiction. I'll select a topic and a chapter or two from our three primary reference books, and I'll let you know about other books. However, to make a specific point, I may copy the direct words of the author, and annotate it properly. You may learn all sorts of things in this workshop. I taught public school English for 12 years, and I've been freelance writing for almost a dozen years since then. So I know the rules of grammar usage, and spelling, and I know some tricks of the trade that I'll be happy to share with you. All Writing.com members are welcome to join in.

After reading the workshop's Chapter Reading of the Week, you will have the opportunity to practice specifically what has been introduced by looking at exercises about the topic, and participating by creating a new item for your portfolio, if you like. The exercises are provided as a basis for discussion, critique, and encouragement. No bad mouthing allowed! Critiques have the duty of acknowledging successes as well as suggesting possible areas for improvement.

This is a no pressure workshop. Nobody, not me or anyone else, is going to "check up on you". You can do the exercises and keep them private in your portfolio. Or, you can share.

Students tend to learn from each others' efforts, and I would like to encourage workshop members to post their responses to the exercies (if they feel comfortable making their work public) in the workshop forum when it is set up. During the workshop we plan to be able to read some of the responses from other participants, and perhaps generate additional ideas or questions to present to me before the next Monday (so I'll be ready with a response by Wednesday).

If you would like to order your own copy of any of these fine books, they are available through Amazon.com, and links will be provided later. In the meantime, if you'd like to skim these books, here's what you need to know to find them at your local bookstore or online:


Plot and Structure: Techniques and exercises for crafting a plot that grips readers from start to finish
by James Scott Bell
Writer's Digest Books c 2004.


Creating Character Emotions: Writing compelling, fresh approaches that express your characters' true feelings
by Ann Hood
Writer's Digest Books c 1998.


Plot & Structure: Techniques and exerccises for crafting a plot that grips readers from start to finish
by James Scott Bell
Writer's Digest Books c 2004.


Writer's Digest books are published by
F + W Publications, Inc.


Each Wednesday through the end of the summer of 2011 a new topic will be available for you. The reading and exercises will probably take you less than a clock hour, or more if you find yourself inspired for a long writing session. However, if you are interested in improving your skills at fiction writing, and would like to join our fiction worshop group, please send an e-mail to me, your workshop facilitator, at:


Patrice@Writing.com



On Wednesday, June 22nd, I'll have the first Workshop Chapter Reading and exercises ready for you. I, myself, am currently struggling through the creation of a fiction work, and I know what I read for the workshop I will also be applying to my ongoing writing project at hand.

If you have a fiction work in progress, are stalled or undecided as to what you should do next, this summer workshop is for you. If you're ready to start a new fiction item, go ahead and start drafting, and this workshop will sharpen your perspective and your skills.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested so I can get a feel for interest and number of participants. Anyone who is good at making visual image tags for participants, please contact me because your services would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have a few participant icons and images to share, and that's not my forte. Writing is. If writing fiction is part of your heart and soul, please send Patrice@Writing.com a note.

Please contact me if you have any questions or comments. Until Wednesday . . . .


Hope to hear from you soon.

Tell me a bit about yourself, and
what you'd like to lern more about.

Your Workshop Facilitator,

Patrice Lauren..........patrice.writing.com


An animated sunflower for a sig.



Here's a link to the first week of the Focus on Fiction Workshop:{/c]



© Copyright 2011 a Sunflower in Texas (patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1786340-Workshop-Focus-on-Fiction