*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787178-Let-Me-Go
by Amay
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1787178
Bad news for a small town high school as one of their own falls in Afghanistan.
Let Me Go



This was a job Gunny didn’t want, but it had to be done, and he wanted to do it before the press release hit the media. He stood outside the door, gathering his composure, listening to the joyful sounds of summer-fun loving high school kids. He sighed, put his hand on the knob, shook his head and proceeded to get on with the job at hand.

Gunny strode into the classroom. His JRROTC cadets weren’t exactly sure why they’d been called to come into school immediately; this was Saturday on summer break even.

“Attention on deck.”

The cadets popped into silent attention, in their traditional summer wear, skills learned during the school year still intact.

“At ease, sit down. You aren’t cadets right now. You're kids, here at my request, I am sorry to call you back. I appreciate you getting back here as quick as you did. There is something we need to address. I wanted to be the one to tell you, I didn’t want you to hear this on the news.”

The cadets looked around at each other; questioning looks proved that nobody knew what was going on. Everyone knew that Gunnery Sergeant Deese loved the JRROTC program here at Wilson High. Every kid at the school respected him because he was so genuine. These cadets knew from the look on his face that something must be wrong for him to contact them.

“I called you all here to inform you of some bad news. Sophomores, you may not remember Kevin Donnelly, but the upper classmen will. He was the unit commander his senior year and did a fine job. He earned the highest rank ever earned by this JRROTC program through his hard work and leadership skills. When he graduated, he enlisted in the Marine Corps. He graduated at the top of his class in Boot Camp. We kept in touch during his first deployment. He made his mark in Afghanistan, and had already started moving up in the ranks. “

The cadets listened intently as Gunny talked. Everyone caught the use of the past tense. The air in the room thickened as the realization that one of their own had fallen. No one from this school had ever been lost.

“Kevin Donnelly was killed in action yesterday. His C.O. notified me personally. His parents have been notified through the proper channels. I felt like you needed to know before the story hit the press.” Gunny paused, looking at his young cadets. This was his first loss of a cadet. His guilt was palpable. He hadn’t been there to protect him. He didn’t know if he could do it again.

“We’ll be there to bring Donnelly home. After that, I’m going back.”

Cadets looked at each other in mass confusion, as if the shock of losing Donnelly wasn’t enough, now Gunny was leaving too.

“You have to let me go," Gunny turned and strode out the door, head held high, resolved with his convictions.



East Gaston High School, lost one of their own recently in Afghanistan. The Patriot Riders escorted him home.



© Copyright 2011 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1787178-Let-Me-Go